Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arnold Sports Festival 2012

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Arnold Sports Festival 2012

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #481531
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    ^well put.

    #481532

    Anonymous
    Inactive

    DavidF said:
    She does express gratitude for the business, but I agree she fumbles when she tries to joke about everyone ordering chicken breasts and broccoli.

    I will say, that I have a good number of friends in the industry and every one of them dreads Arnold weekend. Impatient picky eaters, tons of special orders, and in general, less than generous tippers. (Although, when it comes to tipping, it is also a weekend where a few lucky servers are also dealing with incredibly gracious people who are great tippers. Nothing is absolute.)

    She made a statement that, while true, and somewhat humorous within the industry, was probably better left unsaid in front of a wider audience.

    And yes, as someone who has been repeatedly misquoted, or had things attributed to my name that I never said, context is incredibly important. It is very possible that her statement in its entirety would have an entirely different tone that that excerpt.

    I personally don’t care about her comments about the chicken and all that. I think that’s rather obvious.

    I think it’s a negative image to push away the fitness people and basically admit you are a bunch of a fat lazy slobs and are just jealous of people that are fit in Florida and California. Basically, why she fears a common sense healthy lifestyle is beyond me. What’s that sign on the corner of Front and Broad say?…maybe we should take that down too.

    #481533

    Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

    The WSJ reporter and I spoke on the phone for about 45 minutes. We had a lot of laughs and also talked seriously and in depth about Arnold’s past in politics, his marriage to Maria Schriver, his work in California (I’m a former resident of CA) and about his past drug and steroid abuse. From 40 minutes of conversation, the reporter quoted just a quick snippet of a long conversation.

    I’ve volunteered, participated with the Central Ohio Restaurant and/or visited the event every year for the past ten years and I’ve always enjoyed the event. It’s unfortunate that it competes with Gallery Hop as we lose a lot of our beloved regulars to the event but we’ve always had a good time every year and our neighborhood is in fact swarming with a whole new world of people.

    Yep, we poke fun of the orange tans, yep we poke fun of the crazy high protein diets and shakes, yep, we laugh at the fashions, the lack of alcohol sales, it’s all part of the weekend and the fun.

    I see the event and Arnold as two separate entities. I’m not thrilled to have the statue here in Columbus. I don’t particularly want to see anyone in a speedo out there, no matter how muscular or fit. I think a better suited hero is John Glenn at Vets Memorial. But that’s just one person’s opinion.

    Regarding the event, I’ve always enjoyed it and the energy it brings to downtown. I’m sorry if my comments hurt anyone. I’ve always loved the event, haven’t really loved the Arnold we’ve come to know more recently.

    #481534
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Not at all jealous over here bro..

    #481535

    Anonymous
    Inactive

    lizless said:
    The WSJ reporter and I spoke on the phone for about 45 minutes. We had a lot of laughs and also talked seriously and in depth about Arnold’s past in politics, his marriage to Maria Schriver, his work in California (I’m a former resident of CA) and about his past drug and steroid abuse. From 40 minutes of conversation, the reporter quoted just a quick snippet of a long conversation.

    I’ve volunteered, participated with the Central Ohio Restaurant and/or visited the event every year for the past ten years and I’ve always enjoyed the event. It’s unfortunate that it competes with Gallery Hop as we lose a lot of our beloved regulars to the event but we’ve always had a good time every year and our neighborhood is in fact swarming with a whole new world of people.

    Yep, we poke fun of the orange tans, yep we poke fun of the crazy high protein diets and shakes, yep, we laugh at the fashions, it’s all part of the weekend and the fun.

    I see the event and Arnold as two separate entities. I’m not thrilled to have the statue here in Columbus. I don’t particularly want to see anyone in a speedo out there, no matter how muscular or fit. I think a better hero is John Glenn at Vets Memorial. But that’s just one person’s opinion.

    Regarding the event, I’ve always enjoyed it and the energy it brings to downtown. I’m sorry if my comments hurt anyone. I’ve always loved the event, haven’t really loved the Arnold we’ve come to know more recently.

    More recently? In years it has come to include more sports and actually included less of the meatheads and more of the fitness minded. Sure, I went through the expo this year and there were probably only 3-4 booths I would consider buying or trying stuff from as it’s mostly BS…in fact I walked out of it with a handful(not a bag) of stuff and spent more time watching the lifters, martial artists, and gymnasts than the expo booths.

    I won’t try to blow your statements out of proportion and understand where your statements are coming from, but with a country and city of mostly unhealthy fatties, I’m certainly not going to be against a statue of physical fitness being put up in the city regardless of who it is. It’s a better image for the people and children as opposed to XBox and a statue of some celebrity fatty to idolize.

    Hell, I make fun of the meatheads and their spray tans…even THEY do…and they do all order chicken and steamed broccoli, but that’s better than no order at all and I’m not going to rag on them for choosing a healthier plate over another…I might poke fun at it like you did, but nothing more.

    #481536

    Anonymous
    Inactive

    Snarf said:
    Not at all jealous over here bro..

    Hey now…I saw some mighty fine women inside the expo that didn’t look like men and didn’t have the skin color of an oompa loompa. haha

    #481537

    Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

    -Nick- said:

    I won’t try to blow your statements out of proportion and understand where your statements are coming from, but with a country and city of mostly unhealthy fatties, I’m certainly not going to be against a statue of physical fitness being put up in the city regardless of who it is. It’s a better image for the people and children as opposed to XBox and a statue of some celebrity fatty to idolize.

    We all have different ideals of what fitness looks like. I’d prefer to see Andrea Cambern or Eddie George, personally. But, again, just one person’s opinion. :)

    And again, I see Arnold/Arnold statue and the actual event as two different things. From what I’ve seen over the years is that the event itself has taken on it’s own identity very separate from Arnold’s persona.

    #481538

    Anonymous
    Inactive

    lizless said:
    We all have different ideals of what fitness looks like. I’d prefer to see Andrea Cambern or Eddie George, personally. But, again, just one person’s opinion. :)

    And again, I see Arnold/Arnold statue and the actual event as two different things. From what I’ve seen over the years is that the event itself has taken on it’s own identity very separate from Arnold’s persona.

    Well as would I, but I’ll take what I can get. It’s better than nothing. I’m not a supplement stuffer and roid head. I run, bike, and lift as well. I’m just an around fitness person, more so focused on human performance and athletics…and obviously…HEALTH.

    Wouldn’t the event taking on it’s own identity outside of Arnold’s persona be a good thing?

    #481539

    Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

    Yep, I think it’s a great thing! My sentiments were just lost in the story. The event has gotten worlds better in the more recent years…meanwhile Arnold himself has, well, we’ll just leave it at that to keep from any more misunderstanding. ; )

    #481540

    Anonymous
    Inactive

    lizless said:
    Yep, I think it’s a great thing! My sentiments were just lost in the story. The event has gotten worlds better in the more recent years…meanwhile Arnold himself has, well, we’ll just leave it at that to keep from any more misunderstanding. ; )

    In fairness to him, Maria Shriver is a pyschopath and I can’t blame him cheating on somebody like that. He could of chose better though. Haha.

    You are right though. I lost out on some of your sentiments. I don’t hold anything against you. I just wanted to make sure the tone of the story and the image for the city isn’t tarnished as coming off the wrong way.

    #481541
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    You pretty much lose me when suddenly Arnold shouldn’t be given a statue for his contributions to this city…which are huge…based on infidelity.

    Unless you’re also in favor of demolishing every memorial to JFK in the country.

    #481542

    Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

    I dunno, all idolatry is pretty lost on me…but I’d prefer our local idols to at least be clothed in more than a speedo…just my two. ; )

    #481543
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    lizless said:
    I dunno, all idolatry is pretty lost on me…but I’d prefer our local idols to at least be clothed in more than a speedo…just my two. ; )

    So you’re a boxers kind of girl, eh? ;)

    #481544
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Coremodels said:
    So you’re a boxers kind of girl, eh? ;)

    Pshaw.

    Go big or go home.

    #481545
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

    I guess he’s going home…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!