Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arnold Sports Festival 2012

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals Arnold Sports Festival 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Arnold Sports Festival is the largest multi-sport event in the nation and the greatest sports-fitness experience of your life! The Festival welcomes more than 18,000 athletes annually who compete in more than 45 sports & events, including 12 Olympic sports. More than 175,000 fitness enthusiasts attend the Arnold Sports Festival each year to experience thrilling moments of sports competition and fitness entertainment.

Fitness shoppers enjoy the 700 booth Arnold Fitness EXPO offering the biggest names in health & fitness who present the latest trends in fitness apparel, supplements, and training equipment.

Attendees enjoy the regular sightings of sport personalities, film stars, and the Weekend’s namesake Arnold Schwarzenegger.

MORE: http://www.arnoldsportsfestival.com

OhioFestivals
    Participant

I can’t tell you how many protein bar samples I ate. :-)

It was a fun and eye-opening festival. Here was my experience last year – http://ohiofestivals.net/?p=623

Kristian

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! This weekend! ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll be there as a fitness person, but not really for the meatheads, more so than the educated exhibits and networking. Some of the competitions are fun and interesting to watch as well.

News
    Participant

‘The Arnold’ means growth, success
    By Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Thursday March 1, 2012 9:24 AM

Arnold. That’s all it takes, just the first name — and it’s hard to think of anyone other than the famous bodybuilder, action-movie star and former governor of California, or his annual Columbus festival.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/03/01/building-on-a-name-brand.html

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The Wall Street Journal has published a piece on the statue and the Arnold Festival.

WSJ quotes Liz Lessner:

“Can we trade Philly for their Rocky statue? We’d rather have that,” said Elizabeth Lessner, who lives in Columbus and owns five restaurants there. She thinks Columbus is an ill-chosen home for the figure. “We don’t dress in tiny shorts and flex. That’s Florida or California,” she said.

Ms. Lessner said she and other business people are grateful for the boost from the Arnold event, but chefs around town “kind of groan when the Arnold people come in. All they order are like seven chicken breasts and a side of steamed broccoli. It’s a tough time for us culinary-wise.”

surber17
    Participant

I like the statue ….. If I was visiting Columbus I’m sure I’d take a pic with it.

ricospaz
    Participant

There will be a lot of pics of people defiling Arnold. Good stuff.

M.O.
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    There will be a lot of pics of people defiling Arnold. Good stuff.

Alas, already defiled.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The newness will wear off before the week is over and everyone worked up about it will go back to normal.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Seems really strange that Lessner would give a quote and get national exposure bitching about all the extra customers and money this thing gives her. And nobody works out here? Maybe they should take the statue back and put up one of an overweight 20-something stuffing trendy hot dogs down their throat instead.

Anonymous
    Inactive

NerosNeptune said:
    Seems really strange that Lessner would give a quote and get national exposure bitching about all the extra customers and money this thing gives her. And nobody works out here? Maybe they should take the statue back and put up one of an overweight 20-something stuffing trendy hot dogs down their throat instead.

HAHA You beat me to it man.

joev
    Participant

That quote was really tone-deaf – I hope it was taken out of context. I expect better from Liz.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

joev said:
    That quote was really tone-deaf – I hope it was taken out of context. I expect better from Liz.

I concur.

DavidF
    Participant

joev said:

She does express gratitude for the business, but I agree she fumbles when she tries to joke about everyone ordering chicken breasts and broccoli.

I will say, that I have a good number of friends in the industry and every one of them dreads Arnold weekend. Impatient picky eaters, tons of special orders, and in general, less than generous tippers. (Although, when it comes to tipping, it is also a weekend where a few lucky servers are also dealing with incredibly gracious people who are great tippers. Nothing is absolute.)

She made a statement that, while true, and somewhat humorous within the industry, was probably better left unsaid in front of a wider audience.

And yes, as someone who has been repeatedly misquoted, or had things attributed to my name that I never said, context is incredibly important. It is very possible that her statement in its entirety would have an entirely different tone that that excerpt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!