Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District Parking Garages Not Accomodating All Visitors

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Arena District Parking Garages Not Accomodating All Visitors

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Coschocton is going to start picketing CU when this thread gets back to them. That is if they have the internet yet…(which might explain some things).

I’m sure they’re dialing in to post a rebuttal right about now…

Timeone

We should be reaching out and helping this gentleman rather than poking fun at him. When people have this type of experience, no matter where they are from, it damages the city’s reputation. Let’s not become the type of people that get annoyed by tourists like in other cities. We should be happy they choose to come and enjoy our downtown and help them when they need it.

ZHC

I don’t feel the author was being fair.

For one getting to garage 5 minutes before game time isn’t probably a recipe for success for any professional sporting event. It’s usually a decent idea to allow additional time to find parking in any major city.

Two as others have pointed out, he didn’t look into parking and alternate facilities before he left for the game, which is something you should do anyway. If you were going to Cleveland or Cincinnati you would. I know I do when I’ve gone those places.

Three I fail to see how private surface lot owners having leased out parking to office workers is the city gov’t’s fault in anyway. Maybe there could have been better wayfinding signs to alternate garages, but you can only do so much.

Sure it would be nice if there were more parking garages for this gentleman, but the fact of the matter is this gentleman didn’t put forth any effort to make sure his experience went well.

based off his other comments in the article it’s pretty clear the author has unreasonable expectations for what a major US city can provide for a driver.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Timeone said:
    Let’s not become the type of people that get annoyed by tourists like in other cities.

I totally agree with this sentiment.

That being said, this guy doesn’t necessarily sound like your average tourist. He made some mistakes in assuming that parking would be as easy as going to his neighborhood walmart and decided to blame everyone else for his problem.

If people are annoyed by that kind of attitude, it doesn’t really matter if they’re a tourist or a local or a friend or family or anyone else. It’s just plain annoying. ;)

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    I totally agree with this sentiment.

That being said, this guy doesn’t necessarily sound like your average tourist. He made some mistakes in assuming that parking would be as easy as going to his neighborhood walmart and decided to blame everyone else for his problem.

If people are annoyed by that kind of attitude, it doesn’t really matter if they’re a tourist or a local or a friend or family or anyone else. It’s just plain annoying. ;)

I’ve had a lot of really positive experiences with tourists lately. I sat on the Milestone patio and chatted with a couple from Cincinnati for at least an hour and have made a conscious effort to give directions to people looking at the way-finding kiosks. That said I wouldn’t call this guy a tourist.

RedStorm
    Participant

Another test tonight (not sure where to post this?) – Clippers game, double concert at The Basement and LC, and WWE Smackdown at the Arena. Oh, and NW Blvd is closed (westbound or all of it, I’m not sure) between Neil and McConnell Drive. Good luck tonight, AD.

geoyui
    Participant

Hopefully Cbus circulator will come into play.

Eugene_C
    Participant

But who goes out of town without at least trying to figure out options before they go?

People do try to figure out their options but the players change the rules. For example, at take the Origins Convention, where the discussion groups often used to recommended the parking garage at the corner of Front and Nationwide, except that garage now closes on the weekend, as it was this past Saturday, during the convention.

We should be reaching out and helping this gentleman rather than poking fun at him. When people have this type of experience, no matter where they are from, it damages the city’s reputation.

Agree. But the Coshocton paper either doesn’t allow comments or requires paid access to leave them, otherwise we could leave suggestions.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE