Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Arena District – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 209 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    This isn’t Downtown specific, but my back-of-the-napkin population increase estimate for these 11 developments plus these 12 developments (all located within a fairly close proximity to Downtown) is around 4,500 people.

And there’s been a few more apartment developments announced since then, so we’re probably looking at closer to 5,000 new residents in the central city after everything is buit and fully occupied.

Assuming no more projects, the Downtown area population will probably double by 2020, though I think it’s 100% unlikely to not have a lot more projects announced over the next few years. I would expect several more major developments Downtown (the next phase of RiverSouth, potential projects around the new market, etc), Arena West, Brewery District, SN, Italian Village area including the Jeffrey site and of course Franklinton. Some of the biggest potential residential developments have yet to be announced but that we know are on the way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    Assuming no more projects, the Downtown area population will probably double by 2020…

The current announced/proposed slate of apartment developments right now are actually just outside of Downtown proper, so I don’t know if it would double just based on those alone. Downtown we’ve got:

• Atlas – 100 units
    • 600 Goodale – 180 units
    • Discovery Commons – 102 units
    • Neighborhood Launch Apts – 260 units
    • Neighborhood Launch Condos – 33 units
    • LeVeque Tower – 80 units
    • Flats II – 120 units

That’s a total of 875 units… maybe 1,250 residents with a 1-2 bedroom mix. Not enough to double Downtown’s population, but still a worthwhile addition of residents in a short timespan.

Just outside of Downtown I think we’re just as likely to see a noticeable population uptick, which in turn will have benefits that ripple through Downtown, the Short North and other areas. In the short term, the population increase in/around Grandview Yard is going to be sizable (especially since the current residential population of GVY is zero) and in the longer term the new residents in Franklinton and Weinland Park are going to be a boost to Downtown as well.

All in all, good things are in store over the next five years.

buckette13

It is also good to take into account new jobs as well. OSU will be adding 6000 new jobs ( ~ population of Grandview ;) ) to its main campus Medical Center very shortly. This will bring even more people into the central city area. I would imagine some of these new apartments will appeal to those workers.

columbusmike
    Participant

It’s a pretty good time, too, to have all this new development. I think developers are more aware of walkability, sustainability, smart growth, good design, etc. than they were in, say, the 1990s.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker, you forgot to include the Columbus Commons apts. (300+ apartments). There’s a new smaller downtown project that I know will be announced soon – I’m sure there are other projects that I don’t know about.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    The current announced/proposed slate of apartment developments right now are actually just outside of Downtown proper, so I don’t know if it would double just based on those alone. Downtown we’ve got:

• Atlas – 100 units
    • 600 Goodale – 180 units
    • Discovery Commons – 102 units
    • Neighborhood Launch Apts – 260 units
    • Neighborhood Launch Condos – 33 units
    • LeVeque Tower – 80 units
    • Flats II – 120 units

That’s a total of 875 units… maybe 1,250 residents with a 1-2 bedroom mix. Not enough to double Downtown’s population, but still a worthwhile addition of residents in a short timespan.

Just outside of Downtown I think we’re just as likely to see a noticeable population uptick, which in turn will have benefits that ripple through Downtown, the Short North and other areas. In the short term, the population increase in/around Grandview Yard is going to be sizable (especially since the current residential population of GVY is zero) and in the longer term the new residents in Franklinton and Weinland Park are going to be a boost to Downtown as well.

All in all, good things are in store over the next five years.

Downtown’s population and changes since 1930 for just the two census tracts of the CBD including the Arena District.

1930: 11,387
    1940: 11,531
    1950: 12,092
    1960: 8,828
    1970: 2,341
    1980: 1,588
    1990: 2,971
    2000: 4,374
    2010: 6,046

If we include just the ongoing or announced projects for these two census tracts since 2010, you’re easily talking around or over 1,000 new units. Also, considering the rate of these announcements, I would expect at least that many to be added or announced by 2020. I think that’s a fairly safe bet considering what’s happened in just 2 years. So while you may be right that doubling the population is going to be a stretch, 2,000-3,000 more people is easily doable, if not more.

Outside of just Dowtown, I wouldn’t discount an additional 10K people in the area by 2020.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Walker, you forgot to include the Columbus Commons apts. (300+ apartments). There’s a new smaller downtown project that I know will be announced soon – I’m sure there are other projects that I don’t know about.

Without details, you’re just teasing us.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Any future plans for a ‘phase 3’ on that empty parcel south of Brodbelt?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:

I knew I was going to forget at least one. ;)

• Columbus Commons – 300 units – 400 residents

So that ups the Downtown total to 1,175 units and 1,650 residents. Still not a doubling of the 2010 population of 6,046, but a pretty sizable increase. ;)

Pablo
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    Without details, you’re just teasing us.

Patience grasshopper.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    I knew I was going to forget at least one. ;)

• Columbus Commons – 300 units – 400 residents

So that ups the Downtown total to 1,175 units and 1,650 residents. Still not a doubling of the 2010 population of 6,046, but a pretty sizable increase. ;)

Yeah, but I was factoring in the pace of development. The projects you listed are all relatively new/recently announced. If that rate keeps up, you could end up adding a lot more in 8 more years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    Yeah, but I was factoring in the pace of development. The projects you listed are all relatively new/recently announced. If that rate keeps up, you could end up adding a lot more in 8 more years.

If that’s what you’re saying, then I agree. But you originally said:

jbcmh81 said:
    Assuming no more projects, the Downtown area population will probably double by 2020…

;)

ehill27
    Participant

I thought the new Columbia Gas was supposed to be on Neil. Was the plan changed, or was CG always supposed to be facing Nationwide Blvd?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ehill27 said:
    I thought the new Columbia Gas was supposed to be on Neil. Was the plan changed, or was CG always supposed to be facing Nationwide Blvd?

I think the original rendering provided of Columbia Gas is just confusing… this is looking west down Nationwide Boulvard toward Neil (Huntington Park behind the building):

I think a lot of people (myself included) mistakenly thought this view was facing north up Neil Avenue.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Walker said:
    I think the original rendering provided of Columbia Gas is just confusing… this is looking west down Nationwide Boulvard toward Neil (Huntington Park behind the building):

I think a lot of people (myself included) mistakenly thought this view was facing north up Neil Avenue.

I always knew it was along Nationwide Boulevard, because why would the tear down the LC Pavilion and build more offices? Also, if you look in the bottom right hand corner, you can see the Nationwide Arena sign.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 209 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: