Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Arena District – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 209 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    I’m curious how they plan on sharing the amenities between Flats 1 and 2. Are they going to build a walkway over the railroad tracks or just make renters from Flats 2 walk outside then underneath the railroad tracks?

Walk a few hundred feet to go to the gym? Who in their right mind would do that?!? ;)

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I wonder if the design is going to be similar to Flats on Vine? Balconies?

columbusmike
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    I wonder if the design is going to be similar to Flats on Vine? Balconies?

I was wondering that too. It appears it’s going to be exactly like the other units with their suburban bandaid strip of landscaping. I’m not sure how that will look next to the new Columbia Gas building.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

One thing I think it will add …. interest in graduating professionals to stay/come to Columbus. If I was told “Come work for Nationwide and live directly next to the new Ballpark and NHL Stadium” I’d give some serious thought to living here.

– When I finish college, I would love to get a apartment there, and work for Nationwide. Within a mile, you can see a baseball game, hockey game, convention, movie, Scioto Mile, lot of restaurants, and night life.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    One thing I think it will add …. interest in graduating professionals to stay/come to Columbus. If I was told “Come work for Nationwide and live directly next to the new Ballpark and NHL Stadium” I’d give some serious thought to living here.

+1

Same goes for Columbia Gas or any of the other employers investing in their Downtown offices. ;)

futureman
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I was wondering that too. It appears it’s going to be exactly like the other units with their suburban bandaid strip of landscaping. I’m not sure how that will look next to the new Columbia Gas building.

From the article –

“Ellis said Flats II’s design by Sullivan Bruck Architects Inc. of Columbus won’t mirror the three-story Flats on Vine building.

“Architecturally, it will not be similar,” he said. “It will have a completely different look.”

NerosNeptune
    Participant

For some reason I never liked these that much.. kind of expensive and the balconies open out to a view/smell of a busy intersection and interstate. I guess phase 2 will be shielded from that more. Either way, good to see more buildings going up. There are so many apartment buildings in construction, has anyone totaled up a number of apartments/expected residents between them all?

surber17
    Participant

futureman said:
    From the article –

“Ellis said Flats II’s design by Sullivan Bruck Architects Inc. of Columbus won’t mirror the three-story Flats on Vine building.

“Architecturally, it will not be similar,” he said. “It will have a completely different look.”

Even more exciting. Since I don’t have a subscription to the article, are there any other things that stick out that they bring up?

surber17
    Participant

I’ve brought this up in other threads, but another thing I love about new apartment builds …. for far too long, around downtown, landlords got away with higher rent for rundown places. If I was paying $800/month for a place that desperately needed renovation, I’d much rather pay $900/month for a new build in a complex that will have constant upkeep.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    For some reason I never liked these that much.. kind of expensive and the balconies open out to a view/smell of a busy intersection and interstate. I guess phase 2 will be shielded from that more. Either way, good to see more buildings going up. There are so many apartment buildings in construction, has anyone totaled up a number of apartments/expected residents between them all?

I dont think an accurate population of downtown has been brought up in a while either..I wonder what the total population of Downtown is today. It has to be pushing 7 or 8 thousand.

columbusmike
    Participant

futureman said:
    From the article –

Thanks. They must have updated the article since I first saw it. Glad they aren’t doing the same design.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NerosNeptune said:

This isn’t Downtown specific, but my back-of-the-napkin population increase estimate for these 11 developments plus these 12 developments (all located within a fairly close proximity to Downtown) is around 4,500 people.

And there’s been a few more apartment developments announced since then, so we’re probably looking at closer to 5,000 new residents in the central city after everything is buit and fully occupied.

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    And there’s been a few more apartment developments announced since then, so we’re probably looking at closer to 5,000 new residents in the central city after everything is buit and fully occupied.

That’s a pretty significant small city population that is moving in over the next few months……and all these residents need groceries, drugs, recreation, workout facilities, etc. Critical mass has hit downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    That’s a pretty significant small city population that is moving in over the next few months…

+1

To put it in context… Grandview Heights is a city of 6,695 people.

surber17
    Participant

Walker said:
    +1

To put it in context… Grandview Heights is a city of 6,695 people.

If everything goes through as planned (and it looks like it will) I think Columbus will see a new birth. Its close now, but I see a lot more interest/bids in surface parking lots, renovation of buildings, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 209 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: