Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Arena District – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 209 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

cbustransit said:
    @RedStorm, you are completely right. It is hideous on Neil Avenue. Something like eight or nine lanes wide with sidewalks directly next to this ‘highway’ of a road. It is completely unwalkable. It is terrifying. The SW corner of Neil and Vine just turns to dirt—I walked there with my parents who thought I was insane. This is an immediate connection between our most walkable areas (short north/vic vill and the arena district) and we’ve made it into a highway zone.

It’s like they created the new lanes to alleviate the pains of concerts/hockey games/baseball games, which granted, happen quite a bit but I don’t know if it’s all that helpful.

The entire west side of Neil is a mess, from a pedestrian perspective. Sidewalks right up against the street. There’s nothing over there except a bunch of dirt, brush. They really need to re-look at this to help those walking down Goodale/Vine from 600 Goodale/Grandview as well as those walking from VV area. Not to mention, those walking out of Flats/Flats II are going to be playing a game of frogger just to get to the LC complex.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I have a feeling the state made this decision and not the city. The lighting fixtures and all cosmetic stuff is so cheap looking. I don’t think the city of Columbus would have done this. Am I wrong?

Leahy255
    Participant

Everything is in brick, is this the brick city? I like brick but need some contrast. Stucco wouldn’t hurt or more glass. The Columbia Gas looks like mostly glass but needs to add more of an edge. I like how most of the Arena district looks but needs an edge.

Urban Living
    Urban Living

Flats II Apartments
    Range: $1025-$2245

Welcome home to Flats ll. The newest urban community in the Arena District.

Flats ll features one-two bedroom flats ranging from 600-1300 square feet, and includes some of the latest finishes in the industry trend.

One Bedroom Flats: https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/flats-ii-apartments-one-bedroom-flats/

Two Bedroom Flats: https://www.columbusunderground.com/urbanliving/property/flats-ii-apartments-two-bedroom-flats/

News
    Participant

How I Would Complete the Arena District
    Posted on December 28, 2013

In the 2nd in this series of posts, I made maps for how I imagine the Arena District could be finished and made whole. Here’s the link to the map. There are 2 pages, so be sure to check them both.

What I envision for this area is as follows:

READ MORE: http://allcolumbusdata.com/?p=2243

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Residential/Mixed Use
    Updated Dec 20
    Move or get rid of electricity infrastructure.

How is that supposed to work? Will electricity just magically appear?

jbcmh81
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:

Residential/Mixed Use
    Updated Dec 20
    Move or get rid of electricity infrastructure.

How is that supposed to work? Will electricity just magically appear?

How do other neighborhoods survive without 2 large areas of electrical infrastructure right in the middle of them? When the AD was filled with industrial factories, a prison and city utilities, it made sense for them to be there. Now, it doesn’t, especially in regards to the one between Vine and Convention Center Drive. That’s a huge lot of prime real estate. The fact is that they can be moved or eliminated given the right steps. If they need to be replaced, there’s a ton of land not that far away along Greenlawn Avenue, or the empty land between 670 and Dublin Road to the west. In any case, this is more or less a fantasy map. Certain things, like the transit hub, probably aren’t going to happen just because the city has not gotten serious about light rail. And Nationwide has other plans, presumably, to develop the area west of the railroad tracks. From what I understand, it’s not going to have the higher density that the rest of the district has.

heresthecasey
    Participant

SimCity sure is fun, isn’t it? ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Relocation of the electrical infrastructure is probably costly, but it can be done. Moving it close to less desirable/developable land up against highways or railroad tracks could be a possibility.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    How do other neighborhoods survive without 2 large areas of electrical infrastructure right in the middle of them? When the AD was filled with industrial factories, a prison and city utilities, it made sense for them to be there. Now, it doesn’t, especially in regards to the one between Vine and Convention Center Drive.

I don’t think most people understand how much electricity Nationwide Arena, the convention center, the LC, and Huntington Park use. AEP would love to consolidate their infrastructure if they could, but it’s not happening.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    I don’t think most people understand how much electricity Nationwide Arena, the convention center, the LC, and Huntington Park use. AEP would love to consolidate their infrastructure if they could, but it’s not happening.

At the very least, they should at least put up some kind of wall around the large one. It looks terrible and it could be used for public art of some kind.

News
    Participant

We Call the Arena District Home
    By EMILY THOMPSON
    From the April 2014 edition

Summer 2012 was a whirlwind for Brandon and Brenna Dubinsky. Just a month after they were married, Brandon, who had played for the New York Rangers for five years, was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and they needed to find a place to live in Columbus.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/04/22/we-call-the-arena-district-home.html

News
    Participant

Aug 13, 2014, 2:34pm EDT
    Dick’s Last Resort looking at Columbus
    Brian R. Ball – Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Dick’s Last Resort tavern wants to bring its “frat party” concept to the Arena District. But don’t tap the keg quite yet. I talked with the 17-unit chain’s president, Ralph McCracken, and he told me a lease with Arena District developer/landlord Nationwide Realty Investors Ltd. has yet to be signed.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/08/13/dick-s-last-resort-looking-at-arena-district-spot.html?ana=e_colum_bn_newsalert&u=11045158364f916570069ab3bba1be&t=1407955562

jdubilla
    Participant

Move along Dick’s, nothing to see here.

News
    Participant

New Details Emerge on Nada Columbus Restaurant
    August 27, 2014 10:57 am – Walker Evans

Boca Restaurant Group, the parent company of Nada, announced today new details about their Arena District location slated to open late this year in the new Columbia Gas building that is under construction at Neil Avenue and Nationwide Boulevard. In addition to the previously announced Mexican-inspired menu, the 6,229 square foot space will boast a wall of nearly 200 bottles of tequila, providing a wide selection of the restaurant’s signature spirit.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-details-emerge-on-nada-columbus-restaurant

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 209 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE