Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Arena District – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 209 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

I had to remind myself what the Flats II looks like. Are they trying to go for the warehouse turned residential look? Maybe put a Wonderbread sign on the front side?

BTW, driving on 670 E this morning, it’s cool to see the top of the Columbia gas building filling in the arena district.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Its about time the Arena District mixed it up a bit!

The Gulch, Nashville

David

My god that’s hideous!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I think that scale is appropriate in some areas of our downtown. I have been to Nashville but not the Gulch so I don’t know what the street level activity is like around there.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I noticed every apartment or condo building had some sort of retail in the bottom when I was in the Gulch its a pretty happening neighborhood. I was actually really surprised by how much was going on in Nashville. High rise apartments, condos, and hotels going up everywhere!

surber17
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:
    Its about time the Arena District mixed it up a bit!

The Gulch, Nashville

My friend lives in that building, I’ve been there a bunch. The restaurants around there are great!

surber17
    Participant

so it looks like they’re installing new sewers down Vine Street, but it also looks like it might be a sidewalk too …… any news on this?

RedStorm
    Participant

From personal experience – it’s adding some time to the commute getting off at Neil there in the mornings. But no idea if it’s supposed to be a sidewalk or what.

surber17
    Participant

i’m really interested in this because the city needs to find a better way to connect to grandview

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New construction photos, here:

Construction Roundup: August 2013

News
    Participant

POWER PLAY
    By Kitty McConnell
    From the October 2013 issue of Columbus CEO

During any of 41 home games throughout the Columbus Blue Jackets’ 2013-14 season, a 135-foot light tower will illuminate the sky from the top of Nationwide Arena. It’s a far cry from the searchlights that scanned the valuable acreage years ago, when the Ohio Penitentiary was the main landmark in the now-posh Arena District.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/content/stories/2013/10/01/power-play.html

RedStorm
    Participant

Maybe it’s because there’s so much construction (Columbia Gas, Flats II, Neil Ave) but I don’t really like the way that corner flows (for lack of a better term) – I’m talking west of the arena – Nationwide and Neil. It’s probably because there’s a huge garage plopped right in the middle of it…or it’s all the orange barrels. We’ll see when everything gets completed if that changes. It probably doesn’t help that in that area is the fenced off parking lot for tour buses and whatnot.

Anyway, Flats II is finishing up the work on the outer edges – it looks like they’ve put the sidewalk down at least.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New photos from today, here:

Construction Roundup: October 2013

RedStorm
    Participant

Wasn’t sure which topic to put this under, so feel free to point me in the direction of the correct one.

The whole Vine/Neil Ave. corner, as well as Neil down to Nationwide Blvd. is absolutely awful now. Way too many lanes and it’s not very well marked – the old 2nd right-hand turn lane coming East on Vine is now just straight? I guess? It’s not marked and people are confused because it used to be a right turn only lane, if that makes sense.

Also saw people moving in to Flats II a couple weekends ago. Still looks like they’re finishing up some final touches. They have their own area to park in the McConnell Garage, but any visitors coming by car will likely have to pay $5 to park in that garage (or more if there’s a CBJ game). It will be interesting to see how people moving in there like it. To me, it seems kind of disconnected – as opposed to Arena Crossing or Flats I. I mean, you have a little alley way connected to the Arena garage, the McConnell garage right behind it, and some contstruction/Columbus Gas immediately next to it. It’s probably just seeing all the cranes & orange barrells around for now, but I would be interested to hear what some of the new residents think.

cbustransit
    Participant

@RedStorm, you are completely right. It is hideous on Neil Avenue. Something like eight or nine lanes wide with sidewalks directly next to this ‘highway’ of a road. It is completely unwalkable. It is terrifying. The SW corner of Neil and Vine just turns to dirt—I walked there with my parents who thought I was insane. This is an immediate connection between our most walkable areas (short north/vic vill and the arena district) and we’ve made it into a highway zone.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 209 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION