Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arena District - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Arena District – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 209 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

@jpizzow … I’m having a hard time visualizing where you are talking about

Pablo
    Participant
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Picture I took while down in the AD today.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Call to spare Columbus’ historic municipal light plant
    City officials to decide fate of 1880s structure, 3 other buildings

Arched windows and brick detailing are two selling points for the 1880s municipal light plant on Nationwide Boulevard.

A consultant is recommending that an 1880s building at the old municipal light plant west of Downtown be saved and restored.

That’s good news to Amelia Jeffers, a Delaware auctioneer who is thinking about moving her entire business to Columbus and is interested in the building, which she calls “wonderful.” She also likes the location — close to I-670 and Rt. 315 — and the potential number of parking spaces.

First, however, Columbus officials have to decide what to do with the plant and three other buildings between the western end of Nationwide Boulevard and Spring Street near the Olentangy River.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/04/05/call-to-spare-historic-municipal-light-plant.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New photos of Columbia Gas and Flats II buildings under construction:

More here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-march-2013

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Schoolboy
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Call to spare Columbus’ historic municipal light plant
    City officials to decide fate of 1880s structure, 3 other buildings

Arched windows and brick detailing are two selling points for the 1880s municipal light plant on Nationwide Boulevard.

A consultant is recommending that an 1880s building at the old municipal light plant west of Downtown be saved and restored.

That’s good news to Amelia Jeffers, a Delaware auctioneer who is thinking about moving her entire business to Columbus and is interested in the building, which she calls “wonderful.” She also likes the location — close to I-670 and Rt. 315 — and the potential number of parking spaces.

First, however, Columbus officials have to decide what to do with the plant and three other buildings between the western end of Nationwide Boulevard and Spring Street near the Olentangy River.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/04/05/call-to-spare-historic-municipal-light-plant.html

Kind of split on this building.

While it’s true that the masonry that goes into modern buldings for the most part is subpar to what was done in the past in terms of originality and design… I would only rate this building at a 6 out of 10 for the era it came from. By today’s standards it is an easy 8.5 out of 10.

Not really sure if that makes it worth saving though. For a person like me, I would vote yes on most any building of this quality or better… but that’s just me. We just plain don’t build them like this anymore.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think the building looks fairly unique in Columbus considering that we don’t have as much “rust” as the rest of the rustbelt.

There’s some cool interior photos of old machinery inside it, here:

Photo Collection of the Old Municipal Light Plant

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Love this building and it would be a tragedy if razed. It could act as a centerpiece to any future west Nationwide neighborhood. I always thought it would be nice to have a pedestrian bridge extending beyond Nationwide to the bike trail. The west side of the plant could feature a small business catering to bikers passing through with outdoor seating overlooking the river.

RedStorm
    Participant

I don’t have pictures, but the Columbia Gas Building has hit 6 stories (frames at least). That McConnell Garage has been open for about a month or so, and that’s where the main Clippers parking is being directed. Hate stand-alone garages, but that one is at least bordered by Columbia, Flats II, and just a stone throws away from the Ice Haus on the side of the Arena, so it doesn’t stick out too badly.

News
    Participant

Flats II Apartments in Arena District Pre-Leasing for Fall
    Published on May 14, 2013 5:00 pm
    By: Brent Warren

Nationwide Realty Investors (NRI) has begun pre-leasing for the Flats II apartment complex on Neil Avenue, releasing floor plans and pricing for the 120-unit project in anticipation of it’s completion this fall. NRI’s newest addition to the arena district will feature one-bedroom units of 610 to 880 square feet and two-bedroom units of 1,050 to 1,290 square feet. Prices will range from $995 to $1950 per month.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/flats-ii-apartments-in-arena-district-pre-leasing-for-fall-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some new Flats II construction photos, here:

Construction Roundup: May 2013 Part 2

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

From Biz First Article:

“Ellis said the developer [NRI] has identified a site at Neil Avenue and Spring Street for condos, but design may not get underway until late this year or early 2014.”

READ MORE

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The surface lot at the NE corner of Spring & Neil is ripe for another condo tower to mirror North Bank. ;)

News
    Participant

Seating replacement next improvement project for Nationwide Arena
    Jun 11, 2013, 11:22am EDT
    Jeff Bell
    Staff reporter-Business First

It promises to be a challenge, but Nationwide Arena General Manager Vicki Chorman thinks contractors can replace 6,000 seats in the downtown arena before the Columbus Blue Jackets begin preseason games in September.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/06/seating-replacement-next-improvement.html

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 209 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: