Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Are Ohioans Stuck, or Content?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Are Ohioans Stuck, or Content?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author

redsriot

alexs said:
    It seems that for a lot of people, the priorities are you, your family, your castle, and whatever job you have to toil at to support it, and everyone else can GTFO. That’s the extent of their participation in citizenship.

eta I forget which board I copied this from:

It’s MY MONEY, not yours of the government’s. MY MONEY was made with MY BLOOD (time spent away from my family and loved ones). If I want to hold onto MY BLOOD MONEY, that is my business, not yours. When you liberals waste MONEY EARNED WITH MY BLOOD on $60 million bridges, it is no different than GENOCIDE because you are WASTING PRECIOUS MINUTES OF MY LIFE.

NO MORE!

NOT A SINGLE PENNY MORE IN TAXES. IF YOU LIBERAL LEECHES WANT THINGS, GET A PHREAKING JOB!

There’s a difference between being forced to give someone your money and choosing to give someone your money.

I think people tend to have a problem with the forced robbery of citizens.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Reloville – a community of people perpetually relocating:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/07/inside-americas-reloville-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-affordable-moving.html

I heard an interview with someone who says that he asks people, do you know where your funeral will be? Some people have no idea because they don’t know where they’ll go next.

AFAIK my funeral, if there is one, will be here.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

KingOliversCreoleJazzBand (Photo from Art Knowledge News)

Wasn’t stuck in Ohio or Columbus as Ramsey Lewis played at the Jazz and Rib Fest Saturday nite. Keyboard notes of his 1965 hit, The In Crowd, were sublime, bouncing off the buildings.

Can you be a liberal and not like Jazz?

Does Jazz make you proud to be a US American?

Jazz. An historic cultural export from the US to the rest of the world.

Jazz. A big song a hundred years or more long, going on and on.
    Uncountable people sing, play, compose, and meditate.
    The living and the dead collaborate.
    In the fullness of the moment we celebrate.
    To look to heaven is to procrastinate.

Jazz, with a spirit born in New Orleans Katrina could not drown,
    Hear the metaphors of this philosopher-clown.
    Help us appreciate this town.

Jazz. Where White and Black cultures mixed in
    Nite clubs,
    Theaters,
    Marches,
    Protests,
    Schools,
    Boardrooms,
    And bedrooms.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Not stuck:

allies in the Short North, Vic Village, Clintonville, and near campus;

Sporepring Info Shop;

Third Hand Bike Co op;

Clintonville Community Market;

libraries;

and so on and so on

cheap

im trying to keep up,but is this topic about jazz now,or liberals?

liberal jazz bands playing koombayah??

what?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

cheap said:
    im trying to keep up,but is this topic about jazz now,or liberals?

liberal jazz bands playing koombayah??

what?

Hey cool cat. Thread’s got digressions, like Jazz.

alextrimpe

To answer the topic question, I am very content. I can see myself living in Columbus for the rest of my life without any kind of regret. Big cities stress me out, tiny cities are boring and have no life to them. Columbus is, to me, in the middle. It has the big city fun and excitement, as well as the big city “things to do”. But, it also has a small-town feel to it with the Short North, German Village, etc, and an incredible sense of community. I am still in college, but I plan on staying here.

tourist19
    Participant

I am very content. Especially after the weekend of camping in the lovely Lake Hope area. Such beautiful country.

I moved here thinking it would be a “3 year city”. I thought I would stay till I figured out where I “really” belonged. The more of other places I saw in my job the more I really really grew to love it here. I also realized that as long as you find people you belong with you can really belong anywhere. Finding my community in Columbus has cemented my love for this city.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Gaily daily notice something new about familiar faces, places, and spaces. Vacation or adventure is a state of mind. After shopping the Clintonville Community Market for 4 yrs, noticed only yesterday the mural above the beer and wine.

How can I feel stuck in Ohio or Columbus when I am part of this great big planet? That’s what I feel most of the time, as I marvel at having air, water, and food, as the car between my thumb and index finger stops to let a black oval-shaped bug pass in the jungle under the tomato plant canopy in my backyard. Countless marvels are all around.

Biking under the stars. Coast and pedal. Shudder joyfully at the incomprehensible vastness of the universe. With or without me, the sky is a window to eternity. And yet more microbes and bacteria are in Earth’s soil and more atoms are in my body than there are stars in the universe.

A lot’s going on. Never a dull moment. Our minds are like mansions with more rooms than we could ever be in.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

A hulking , woody stereo system from the early ’70s lurching across the floor and teetering over my bed with the record player needle arm bobbing like a threat moans from it’s hairy speakers : “a barbed wire high voltage fence is being built around all of Ohio’s borders.”

What are the obsolete phonographic devices in your basement and attics saying to you?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Maybe committed, not stuck. Applying Wendell Berry’s ‘staying put.’ Digging in for root transformation. Maybe.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Still fresh after all these years : “think globally, act locally.”

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE