Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Are Ohioans Stuck, or Content?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Are Ohioans Stuck, or Content?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

And just to be gratuitously rude, I find it very hard to imagine you being welcomed in “a more cosmopolitan, sophisticated, and forward-thinking city” –however that’s defined!

Chris, does being gratuitously rude fit with following the teachings of Christ?

Myself am not a Christian, but to my knowledge you claim to be. Are you looking at the speck in my eye without paying attention to the plank in your own? [Matthew 7:3-5]

Are you showing your love as Christ commands— ( at least according to the folk who wrote the New Testament years after he died)— in Mark 12:28-31; Matthew 5:43-48; and in John 13:34-35 ?

Thx man

rus
    rus
    Participant

alexs said:
    For my sister and her husband, it was a culture shift to go from Miami to bayou country. In Miami our standing joke was “Keep moving or they’ll pick you out” but in bayou country you’re expected to drop what you’re doing, like walking down the street, and socialize for a while.

Sounds like Columbus is becoming more and more like Miami in that respect.

rus
    rus
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Last night wasn’t stuck in Columbus, Ohio. Floated supernaturally thru the Short North, south on High with my two-wheeled neuro-prosthesis.

Heads on parking meters rolled their eyes. They grinned and snickered and advised : “see the future in the pretty lights of the arches.”

There I saw precious stones bejewel the vertebrae of uber privileged women. Special lights in the doorways and dance floors of tantalizingly exclusive venues flashed the status of lethally sexy ‘diamond backs’ in seaweed slacks, sown by common folk who merely wear tattoos.

New forum game: guess the drug he was on when he spewed this out.

manticore33
    Participant

bruinswin said:
    Agree 100%. I’m continually surprised with how so many young Ohio people are stuck on this idea that they need to “buy that house before age 28!” Which is often fueled by parents desperate to keep their adult children from leaving, but the desperation is masked by mantras about “making smart financial choices,” etc. So they get the house (which is like their early retirement), and then they spend the next 30 years enslaved to house payments they can’t get out of. And most of them figure out out by their early 30’s that they need to leave Ohio to move up in their careers. But they usually figure out too late, after the house, the unhappy marriage based on their mid-20’s mentality which changes dramatically by 30, 1-3 children, etc.

Please keep in mind that some young people want that lifestyle. Waiting to have a family or having a family early are both lifestyle choices that have their benefits and drawbacks. I was married at 24, bought a house, and started having children by 25. Now I am 30, but I will admit that I did have a few moments when I would be disappointed by the lack of flexibility to go out and party. Most of that was my own insecurities for going against the grain of “massive career then children,” but I am a better man than what I would have been had I delayed becoming a family man. I make a comfortable living now that allows my wife to stay and raise our two lovely daughters. Honestly, I would not change a thing looking back on it. Careers and money have really taken on less importance to me opposed to living.

I loathed Ohio more when I would not get out and see the state. It is truly a unique and remarkable area of the country. It still fascinates me how we have so much geographic diversity in all corners of the state. And, how different the cities are from the North, middle, and South. Plus, the food culture in Columbus with quick access to farmland is fantastic and will keep me here for years to come.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

rus said:
    New forum game: guess the drug he was on when he spewed this out.

No drugs, just plenty of imagination and originality. Most of my readers haven’t been born yet.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

TomOver said:

If only rudeness was the full extent of my un-Christlike behaviors I’d be a much better man.

On the other hand, maybe I can get some extra credit for all the even ruder responses I suppress.

I’ll tell the truth –I’ve found it hard to be charitable towards you ever since my unpleasant personal encounter with you and your “journalism.”

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

On the other hand, maybe I can get some extra credit for all the even ruder responses I suppress.

Why not say what you really think and let’s judge the merits of your ideas? You call yourself a philosopher on your blog, right ?

I’ll tell the truth, I’ve found it hard to be charitable towards you ever since my unpleasant personal encounter with you and your “journalism.”

Let’s not derail this thread. But feel free to share w/ anyone what I say in the pm regarding this second point. Thx

rus
    rus
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Let’s not derail this thread.

Saved for posterity.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

rus said:
    Saved for posterity.

Bravo

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:

And just to be gratuitously rude, I find it very hard to imagine you being welcomed in “a more cosmopolitan, sophisticated, and forward-thinking city” –however that’s defined!

Responding to your insult with a compliment, will demo we don’t need to believe in God to have ‘agape’ love. Oops, actually I’m complimenting your friend, writer and poet Elizabeth Gallenberg, who wrote the lyrics. But close enough, right ? And I finally learned to post a video to CU. Things are really looking up.

geoyui
    Participant

TomOver Let’s not derail this thread:

Just another reminder.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

TomOver said:

After further reflection, you are correct. Both being “gratuitously rude” and my first response after being called on that were petty, and neither was in the spirit of generosity that a follower of Christ should aspire to. I apologize, and I will reserve further responses to you to PM where they will not further derail this thread.

cheap

TomOver said:
    No drugs, just plenty of imagination and originality. Most of my readers haven’t been born yet.

awesome stuff.love it.

GCrites80s
    Participant

dubdave00 said:
    Everybody asks “what if”. And if you ask it a lot, it can lead to feelings of being stuck.

I would argue that contentment is less of a feeling and more of a conscious choice one has to make on a daily basis, as one cannot have / do everything.

That said, contentment is a tough choice in your 20s and 30s because of that nagging voice in your head that worries you’re “settling”. The older you get, the less options you have, and the easier the path seems. Some people are “settling”, others need to decide what matters in life as you can’t have/do everything, and most of us need to stop living in fear of future regret. Good luck figuring that out… It’s called growing up. :-)

I was lucky to experience many places in my 20s after growing up in Groveport and Ashville. Living in a mix of places from Cincinnati to Washington D.C. to Portsmouth and Huntington and visiting Europe gave me perspectives on many different walks of life. But now my father’s gone and I’ve got responsibilities outside of my personal life and business. And it’s place-specific to Columbus (it’s our farm). The contentment comes not from a lack of choices due to the responsibilities, but rather from the inside. Ignoring the responsibilities would eat me up way worse than missing out on 3 months study abroad in Turkmenistan. One day many years down the road when the farm’s the south airstrip of Rickenbacker or an Apple warehouse or something, I might leave again. So that’s right Columbus, for now you’re stuck with me so you better become content!

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    I was lucky to experience many places in my 20s after growing up in Groveport and Ashville. Living in a mix of places from Cincinnati to Washington D.C. to Portsmouth and Huntington and visiting Europe gave me perspectives on many different walks of life. But now my father’s gone and I’ve got responsibilities outside of my personal life and business. And it’s place-specific to Columbus (it’s our farm). The contentment comes not from a lack of choices due to the responsibilities, but rather from the inside. Ignoring the responsibilities would eat me up way worse than missing out on 3 months study abroad in Turkmenistan. One day many years down the road when the farm’s the south airstrip of Rickenbacker or an Apple warehouse or something, I might leave again. So that’s right Columbus, for now you’re stuck with me so you better become content!

Keep writing

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE