Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arches Downtown?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Arches Downtown?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>

DR wrote >>
    No. It’s unique to the short north. Doing it elsewhere would not have the same effect. The money would be put to better use somewhere else.

actually, it isn’t unique to the short north! we have them in Old North Columbus, there are also some on the East side AND in Merion Village.
    In fact, Mr Waitress and I were driving down Parsons today and I said “you know, they should put arches here. they should put arches everywhere and we could just be the city of arches.”
    As someone already pointed out, there were arches all over our fair city 100 years ago – i’d like to see them return.

Yeah, I think this would be awesome.

I like the colored lights in the arches and think they should run them all the way down High. I’d say unlit arches or (warm) white lights elsewhere.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I like the shamrock arch for Merion village, it’s fun. The KLD one is big and makes a statement.

Love the idea of gas lamps for German Village.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    OSU gets some gaudy scarlet and gray things made out of cheap plastic cups,

always such a hater :p

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Core_Models wrote >>
    Absolutely agree. If, however, it takes like 9 years per arch to get the lights working (or however long the Short North fiasco took), I’m not sure that is the identity we want.

Easy fix. Don’t hire the same contracting company (EG&G, Co) that screwed them up the first time. ;)

More info about the history of the Short North arch fiasco:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2007/05/23/ARCHY.ART_ART_05-23-07_B1_H36Q1O0.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

vestanpance wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    OSU gets some gaudy scarlet and gray things made out of cheap plastic cups,

always such a hater :p

I meant that in an extremely loving way. I think it would be quite an honorable and historic tribute to the neighborhood. ;)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: