Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arches Downtown?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Arches Downtown?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

colrex7

I know this idea has been talked about before, but there isn’t a thread dedicated to it on here.

It seems like arches (very similar to the ones in the Short North) on High Street in Downtown would be very impressive.

I am not aware of the city planning on this in the future, but it would definitely help create ambiance in Downtown as well.

What is everyone’s opinion on this? Since Columbus is the ‘Arch City’ and all.

DR
    Participant

No. It’s unique to the short north. Doing it elsewhere would not have the same effect. The money would be put to better use somewhere else.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Already been done ;-)

cbustransit
    Participant

IF they did it…and i’m not sure they should…but IF they did, they should distinguish it from the short north arches somehow…like only white lights not color changing ones

I like the idea! Lets push for it. Extend these arches all the way south down High just before 70 and Livingston. Maybe this will further spur interest in around Columbus Commons.

cbustransit wrote >>
    IF they did it…and i’m not sure they should…but IF they did, they should distinguish it from the short north arches somehow…like only white lights not color changing ones

Or maybe make the arches sterling instead of Black?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

DR wrote >>
    No. It’s unique to the short north. Doing it elsewhere would not have the same effect. The money would be put to better use somewhere else.

actually, it isn’t unique to the short north! we have them in Old North Columbus, there are also some on the East side AND in Merion Village.

In fact, Mr Waitress and I were driving down Parsons today and I said “you know, they should put arches here. they should put arches everywhere and we could just be the city of arches.”

As someone already pointed out, there were arches all over our fair city 100 years ago – i’d like to see them return.

colrex7

DR wrote >>

Like lisathewaitress said…Columbus is the Arch City, the Short North isn’t the Arch District. ;) But I understand where you’re coming from. The Arches definitely help make the Short North a destination.

But I can only imagine DT with Arches and how simply amazing that would add to the sense of place there. You know?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Good idea, but I’ll pass. A bit overkill, but that’s just my opinion.

I don’t think it would necessarily be overkill. Like it’s been mentioned before, once arches were all over Columbus, especially downtown – if they don’t build 5 on every block, have them reasonably spaced, and perhaps stay clear of Capitol Square, it would be great – something to make the amount of semi-abandoned parking lots less painful to look at. Then Columbus would finally be an arch city again, not just having an “arch neighborhood.”

Good points all – like the thoughts. My vote would be to keep them to High Street, with more separation (per cbusstreetcarsplzthx)and just extend them south through downtown (per columbusyuppie). I suppose just white lights could work too. I like the three flags they use to have on top as seen in the historic photo above. That would make them different and be historically fitting.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve always been a fan of restoring our “Arch City” nickname by restoring arches throughout our various neighborhoods. Each one could be distinct in some way (the Short North can keep the blinky lights, maybe German Village could get gas lamp lights, OSU gets some gaudy scarlet and gray things made out of cheap plastic cups, and Downtown could do some sort of limestone columns or something, etc).

With a bit of planning, this could be “THE THING” that provides Columbus with a “new” identity and brand that is still rooted in history, while also providing an artistic/aesthetic element and assisting in the connectivity between our neighborhoods.

Talcott

I’d love for us to reclaim the “Arch City” nickname. At the least, we could have more of the non-lit arches (like the Old North Columbus ones), but I think that lights downtown would look sharp. I agree that they should be monochrome (to distinguish from the Short North lights) but I’d rather not pure white. Just like with Christmas lights, white light feels sterile and uninviting. Making them gas lights (or simulated) would add some warmth to the coloring.

Core_Models

Walker wrote >>
    I’ve always been a fan of restoring our “Arch City” nickname by restoring arches throughout our various neighborhoods. Each out could be distinct in some way (the Short North can keep the blinky lights, maybe German Village could get gas lamp lights, OSU gets some gaudy scarlet and gray things made out of cheap plastic cups, and Downtown could do some sort of limestone columns or something, etc).
    With a bit of planning, this could be “THE THING” that provides Columbus with a “new” identity and brand that is still rooted in history, while also providing an artistic/aesthetic element and assisting in the connectivity between our neighborhoods.

Absolutely agree. If, however, it takes like 9 years per arch to get the lights working (or however long the Short North fiasco took), I’m not sure that is the identity we want.

“How many Columbus residents does it take to change a light bulb?”

Tenzo
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    I’ve always been a fan of restoring our “Arch City” nickname by restoring arches throughout our various neighborhoods. Each out could be distinct in some way (the Short North can keep the blinky lights, maybe German Village could get gas lamp lights, OSU gets some gaudy scarlet and gray things made out of cheap plastic cups, and Downtown could do some sort of limestone columns or something, etc).

Absolutely agree. If, however, it takes like 9 years per arch to get the lights working (or however long the Short North fiasco took), I’m not sure that is the identity we want.
    bulb?”

We spent $60 million on this arch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: