Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Apartments/retail at Grandview Giant Eagle?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Apartments/retail at Grandview Giant Eagle?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Heard that rumor today from a person who is a local business owner who is fairly connected.

Say goodbye to the free parking lot if true.

heresthecasey
    Participant

It’s about time, really. Though ideally a new public parking component would be included as well…

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I figured it was only a matter of time. With Balboa and the Grandview Theater reopening, and the Grandview Cafe still to come, the Grandview Ave corridor is booming right now, too much so for such a lot and property to remain underused indefinitely. My guess is that we’ll probably see something quite similar to the View on Fifth, mixed use–apartments, with ground-level storefronts along Grandview and Fifth Avenues.

I agree that a parking deck with a couple of public/open access levels would be very helpful here, particularly since so many have gotten used to using the old GE lot to get around paying the meters on the Columbus side of Grandview Ave. Personally, I don’t expect it to be free, though I’m sure a fee and the loss of parking spaces will likely be met with people seeking out parking on Broadview Ave and other nearby streets.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Broadview is already full at 5pm on thursday through sunday. It is the only non-permit block west with any parking that is easier. Next two blocks west are school blocks. The east side streets are permit only. A garage would be great if they would build it but I am not thinking that will get done. No space in Grandview for it, only space possible is the GE lot.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

If this is true, then it’s great news. I’m just hoping we don’t get a carbon copy building. This is a gateway to Grandview Avenue and its deserving of something a little more thought out. Wide sidewalks along Grandview are a must for outdoor seating.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Heard that rumor today from a person who is a local business owner who is fairly connected.

Say goodbye to the free parking lot if true.

Been waiting for it to happen. Figured once the lease expired he’d have sold the lot quickly; bit of hang time while there was talk of some other business picking up the lease.

Have to wonder what will happen to the restaurants along the strip. Valets only go so far if there’s no parking within a few miles.

futureman
    Participant

I’m surprised nothing has happened yet, given the huge boom in apartment complexes going up around town. It’s a large site and a great location. Hopefully if the site is redeveloped a portion of it will be public parking, kind of like The Hubbard in the Short North.

Semi-related, I saw a that a 5 story mixed-use commercial building is being proposed for 1123 Goodale Blvd – http://www.grandviewheights.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/1556

bwitty92
    Participant

Does anyone know what is being built at the corner of Grandview Ave. and 33?

RedStorm
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE