Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author

tolemac5050
    Participant

Jamie…Ray Rays…he is THE MAN…did you visit his Smackie’s when it was open, 3 seperate different locations?
    You are so right, run your business daily, make the customer happy, take care of issues when they arise, apologize, make no excuses, comp a meal or drink (or 2), do not post “fake” reviews, and the real customers will take care of that for you! Now I want a hot dog.

Rastapasta

I never went to Smackies (before I moved here), but had heard from him that he was tired of baby sitting employees.

To be honest, what it all comes down to is good food. Serve the best damn food you can. It’s not about the name or concept you come up with, or how you decorate your menu or interior of your restaurant, or any kind of crap like that. Just serve really really damn good food. The best food you can possibly serve.

If you’re going to open a chicken wing spot worry about finding the biggest damn chicken wings you can! Don’t get some little crappy wings the size of BW3s and say ‘good enough’ and think you’re so clever as you create some half ass theme for the joint.

Serving good food is an ongoing expense as opposed to the one time expenses involved in creating a theme. Ultimately the businesses that try to rely on gimmicks (and worse, trickery and deception) fail. The guy who figures out how to serve damn good food is going to stay in business.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I live right down the street from this place, so the other day I thought I’d say what the hell and give them a shot. I’m a bit limited to the places that I can eat out since I have a 20 month old son, who occasionally gets a bit loud and/or fussy so kid-friendly places get priority now. We thought a hot dog joint would work, which was the case.

While walking in, I’ll agree with previous people who noted the place is a bit generic, echoey, and could use a bit more identity. There were plenty of tables and booths to sit at since it’s a pretty large space, which is really nice.

We went up to the counter and checked out the menu. There were a decent amount of creations to choose from. The dogs are a bit more expensive at Two Mad Dogs than at Dirty Franks, but I’ll agree with what AJ stated, the dogs are much larger here. I actually think I enjoy the smaller size at Dirty Franks though, because I can always try two different dogs without breaking the bank, and at Two Mad Dogs I feel two dogs is too much, and sometimes it’s hard to pick just one dog that you want to try.

I went with two anyways because I couldn’t decide and went with a Reuben Delight (Swiss cheese, sauerkraut & thousand island dressing) and a Chili Lover (chili, cheddar cheese, onion & spicy brown mustard), and my wife got the Olentangy Athlete (cheddar cheese, yellow mustard, ketchup & sport peppers).

Both of my dogs were quite good, but nothing that blew me away. I find that’s usually the case anyways with hot dogs for me at least. I could see myself ordering the Reuben Delight again as I’m a big fan of the sandwich and this was a fun interpretation. The Chili Lover just seemed pretty average, but again, not bad. I made one of my dogs a platter which adds fries and a drink. There were a ton of fries, which were really good and fresh cut, the only drawback was that they weren’t very hot which was a bummer. Barely warm, but the flavor was good. Again, one dog would’ve certainly been enough to satisfy my hunger.

My wife enjoyed her Olentangy Athlete, but wished there was more melted cheese on it. I took a look and agreed that there wasn’t much there, but she was happy with the taste.

My toddler son got a kids meal with bagel dogs and tater tots, which he seemed to really enjoy.

We finished off with some ice cream. We got some of the Ashby’s peanut butter brownie ice cream, which was the best thing we had there. It was really, really good. My son had a cup of the Smith’s soft serve vanilla which was part of his kids meal, which I tried and was excellent as well.

There was a very kind woman who was hovering around the dining room who was quite charming, without being overbearing. She came over and asked how our meal was and made some nice comments to our son, and basically offered her help if we needed anything. The staff was friendly, which is important to me. I also noticed one of the owners, AJ, behind the counter a few times.

All in all I’d say I had a positive experience here. Since the proprietors are new to the food business, I imagine they’re still working out some kinks and agree there is some room for improvement. I think I enjoy Dirty Franks a bit more from a creative point of view, menu & decor wise. I’d like to see Two Mad dogs possibly expand or edit their menu with some more unique choices. The ingredients and combinations that they use on most of their dogs seem just a tad mundane. Not a bad start though. I’ll give them another shot since they are so close to my house, and it’s a place that I can easily bring my kid.

Chili Lover Platter

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/chili.JPG[/img]

Reuben Delight

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/rueben.JPG[/img]

Olentangy Athelete

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/olentangy.JPG[/img]

tolemac5050
    Participant

Kudos to Mister Shifter’s review and writing….

saywhat

Rastapasta said:
    Out in Powell you’re dealing with families so it may not be easy to sell a $6 hot dog to them. Many are probably mid-western folk who grew up on crappy grocery store dogs (Oscar Meyer,Sugardale, etc.) and have a preconceived belief that hot dogs are “cheap” food.

And that sums up my point….talk about “preconceived beliefs”….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

saywhat said:
    And that sums up my point….talk about “preconceived beliefs”….

I thought your point was that you could universally apply one person’s comments into a generalization/stereotype about everyone posting in this thread.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker said:
    I thought your point was that you could universally apply one person’s comments into a generalization/stereotype about everyone posting in this thread.

LOL…it was also immediately after a very regular poster reviewed the restaurant well, complete with photos, which he ignored completely.

Good stuff.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Walker said:

That’s typically referred to as confirmation bias. It’s the tendency for people “to notice and to look for what confirms one’s beliefs, and to ignore, not look for, or undervalue the relevance of what contradicts one’s beliefs.”

To suggest that everyone on this board (or even the majority on this board) only support establishments in “hip, gentrified, urban neighborhoods” requires ignoring the attention given to businesses like Thai Orchid, Amul India, Rivage, J Liu’s, Anna’s, Piada, The Worthington Inn, The Pita Hut, Cafe Shish Kebab, The Hill’s Market, The Refectory, House Wine, Igloo Letterpress, Sugardaddy’s and probably dozens of others. (More information on confirmation bias can be found on [url=http://www.skepdic.com/confirmbias.html]The Skeptic’s Dictionary[/url] website.)

Back on topic though, I work on the northwest side of town and look forward to checking out Two Mad Dogs. I know that businesses and restauranteurs don’t always get the social media/Web 2.0 side of marketing right, but those pictures Mister Shifter posted look really good!

I also don’t think the prices are unreasonable. Remember, we’re talking about a part of Central Ohio (southern Delaware County) with pretty high income levels. The median household income for this area was $88,899.00 in 2008. Compare that to the national median of $52,029.00. Similarly, Delaware County was recently ranked by Forbes as being one of the[url=http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/01/jobs-income-growth-lifestyle-real-estate-get-ahead.html] Best Places to Get Ahead[/url]. I doubt rent is cheap there, the owner already mentioned he’s starting with some pricey dogs, and I expect most people living in the area can afford to splurge a bit. I’ve never drafted financial projections for a start up, but in terms of market research and price points the prices don’t seem out of line.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

So after my visit and post on here last week I exchanged a PM or two with AJ, one of the owners, and he offered some thanks for the honest opinions that I gave, and was curious if I had any menu suggestions.

I explained one of my favorite dogs that I like to make involves pimento cheese spread w/ jalepenos, bacon, onion, and mustard. So he kindly added a new dog to their special menu this week called the “Shifter Dog”, lol.

I stopped in to try it this morning and was extremely surprised with how well it came out. Their version has a nice strip of bacon lining the bottom of the bun topped with homemade horseradish mustard, then the 1/4 Hebrew National dog topped with a healthy portion of spicy pimento cheese spread, onion, jalepenos, & banana peppers.

Bias aside, it was freaking delicious. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the banana peppers, but they were a welcome addition and I honestly wouldn’t change a thing. I’d probably get it just about every time I went in if I could. For me, spicy pimento cheese spread and bacon on a hot dog = heaven. The fries were also piping hot this time which was good to see.

Anyways, thanks to AJ for putting it on the menu, big kudos.

I stopped in shortly after they opened today and I was one of the only patrons inside. I believe the mother of the owner was sitting in the dining room and she chatted with me for a minute or two asking me what I thought of my food and of the place. Very sweet woman. The chef also stepped out from behind the grill to come talk with me after I ate, basically to see what I thought of the special. I didn’t mention who I was or having anything to do with it, but I thought it was nice of him to say hello and ask a customer what they thought of something they might be experimenting with on the menu.

I also noticed that the dining room was under quite a bit of construction since the last time I was there and people were painting some things on the walls. It seems like they’re already listening some of the feedback and trying to improve the space.

Thanks again AJ for being cool and adding the “Shifter Dog” to the special menu, that was a cool move and much appreciated. I’d be happy to order one any time in the future. It’s nice to see a business engage with their patrons, listen to criticisms and use that to better their establishment.

Thanks again.

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/shifterdog3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/shifterdog1.jpg[/img]

DavidF
    Participant

Nice! Very good interaction with your customers. Kudos!

twomaddogs
    Participant

Mister Shifter and everyone thanks for input here are some of the changes he is talking about and we will be adding more soon [url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.224361957608676.59303.171326209578918&l=076cff829e&type=1]click me[/url]

Mister Shifter said:
    So after my visit and post on here last week I exchanged a PM or two with AJ, one of the owners, and he offered some thanks for the honest opinions that I gave, and was curious if I had any menu suggestions.

I explained one of my favorite dogs that I like to make involves pimento cheese spread w/ jalepenos, bacon, onion, and mustard. So he kindly added a new dog to their special menu this week called the “Shifter Dog”, lol.

I stopped in to try it this morning and was extremely surprised with how well it came out. Their version has a nice strip of bacon lining the bottom of the bun topped with homemade horseradish mustard, then the 1/4 Hebrew National dog topped with a healthy portion of spicy pimento cheese spread, onion, jalepenos, & banana peppers.

Bias aside, it was freaking delicious. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the banana peppers, but they were a welcome addition and I honestly wouldn’t change a thing. I’d probably get it just about every time I went in if I could. For me, spicy pimento cheese spread and bacon on a hot dog = heaven. The fries were also piping hot this time which was good to see.

Anyways, thanks to AJ for putting it on the menu, big kudos.

I stopped in shortly after they opened today and I was one of the only patrons inside. I believe the mother of the owner was sitting in the dining room and she chatted with me for a minute or two asking me what I thought of my food and of the place. Very sweet woman. The chef also stepped out from behind the grill to come talk with me after I ate, basically to see what I thought of the special. I didn’t mention who I was or having anything to do with it, but I thought it was nice of him to say hello and ask a customer what they thought of something they might be experimenting with on the menu.

I also noticed that the dining room was under quite a bit of construction since the last time I was there and people were painting some things on the walls. It seems like they’re already listening some of the feedback and trying to improve the space.

Thanks again AJ for being cool and adding the “Shifter Dog” to the special menu, that was a cool move and much appreciated. I’d be happy to order one any time in the future. It’s nice to see a business engage with their patrons, listen to criticisms and use that to better their establishment.

Thanks again.

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/shifterdog3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.tek-pette.com/shifterdog1.jpg[/img]

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:

+1

Very cool. ;)

tolemac5050
    Participant

I plan to check out this shifter dog during the “grand opening” this weekend or early next week…and the painting to warm up the space…great job two mad dogs! Nice to see this business actually listens to the customers and then responds…

hivner1

this thread is begging for some phallic vienna vs hebrew hot dog-mac vs pc-fixie vs spandex biker-harley vs bombay biker sorta comic.

… and a hot dog is a hot dog is a hot dog. i was born in youngstown where the hot dogs are hand-rolled by some mafia expats, and they only serve em how they serve em. no condiment options, unless they want to put some on yours, of course. you walk in, you say, “x# hot dog(s).” perhaps you order a coke. you pay, you leave. sounds shitty but people flock from all over the world because they’re from youngstown friggin ohio. even the amish.

cc

Walker said:
    +1

Very cool. ;)

+2

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.