Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 92 total)
  • Author

twomaddogs
    Participant

I take full accountability for my actions for my company that I am part owner of Two Mad Dogs. First let me state thank you for your responses and your opinions. I work very hard to make all of my customers experiences at the restaurant an enjoyable and I apologize if your visit didn’t go as planned. Trust me as a new restaurant owner it is hard to fully understand what the general public likes and dislikes, thus with your comments and posts it will enable me to learn from my mistakes and make Two Mad Dogs an enjoyable place for all and hopefully you might come back as a repeat customer.

Unfortunately, when we opened the store we were unaware of the building noise, and fortunately this was brought to my attention and we are putting in some noise dampening devices that will help control the noise level. Had we known about this from the get go, we would of obviously taken care of this. This is our first venture into the food industry and we are learning as we go, but we are getting better at our craft on a daily basis. I would like to state that this is not a franchise restaurant. My family has been in the golf business for many decades and sold our Special Tee stores and decided to try to bring a niche product to the greater Powell/Columbus area. We worked hard at putting these plans together and we thoroughly understand that we will grow slowly and there will be headaches along the way that we will continually fix and in due time we will have our restaurant running like a fine oiled machine. I guess you can say we are working the kinks out, but like any new business venture, you can never prepare for the unexpected.

Lastly, I would like to state the following: We do not post fake positive reviews on Yelp, Columbus Underground or any other forum. Our customers have the freedom to state whatever they would like, good and bad, and those posts will stay on those sights. We do not filter them. Our goal is to exceed our customers expectations and create a happy environment where we will be able to create our niche and have repeat customers because of their experience and delight in our products. It is not my nature to duck any question or any post, if you get a chance come on in and say hello and introduce yourself. I am there pretty much every day and it would be nice to hear your input and get to know you. I firmly believe our quality and service will continually set the standards in the restaurant business.

Thanks again for your blunt honesty and opinions, and trust me we are continually striving to make everyone’s experience an enjoyable one.

Allen ” AJ ” Hazen

DavidF said:
    The easiest way for a business to get on the good side of this board seems fairly straight forward. Businesses that identify who they are and engage honestly here get a plethora of good will.

catnfiddle
    Participant

TADA! And much more good will shall ensue. Good luck with the noise issues.

JoeMitchell

saywhat said:
    Ice cream and hot dogs from 2 particular establishments are some of the favorite things on this message board. Both are referenced in this thread.

@ twomaddogs, don’t sweat it. if you were in some hip, gentrified urban neighborhood, they’d love ya!

Ha.

Or as the hip would say rolling on the floor laughing.

People like good food, people like good value, regardless of neighborhood.

We went to twodogs, I found it to be lacking value.

Four dogs, one combo’d and some ice cream, well over $25.

Wholly Joes, best Chicago in town, $2.75
    Filthy Freds, very good Chicago, $3
    Twodogs, ok Chicago, $4.50

I am extremely ignorant regarding the food biz but I would start by looking at those margins or be sure that my product is 50-64% better than the competition.

Numbers don’t lie.

DavidF
    Participant

twomaddogs said:
    I take full accountability for my actions for my company that I am part owner of Two Mad Dogs. First let me state thank you for your responses and your opinions. I work very hard to make all of my customers experiences at the restaurant an enjoyable and I apologize if your visit didn’t go as planned. Trust me as a new restaurant owner it is hard to fully understand what the general public likes and dislikes, thus with your comments and posts it will enable me to learn from my mistakes and make Two Mad Dogs an enjoyable place for all and hopefully you might come back as a repeat customer.

Unfortunately, when we opened the store we were unaware of the building noise, and fortunately this was brought to my attention and we are putting in some noise dampening devices that will help control the noise level. Had we known about this from the get go, we would of obviously taken care of this. This is our first venture into the food industry and we are learning as we go, but we are getting better at our craft on a daily basis. I would like to state that this is not a franchise restaurant. My family has been in the golf business for many decades and sold our Special Tee stores and decided to try to bring a niche product to the greater Powell/Columbus area. We worked hard at putting these plans together and we thoroughly understand that we will grow slowly and there will be headaches along the way that we will continually fix and in due time we will have our restaurant running like a fine oiled machine. I guess you can say we are working the kinks out, but like any new business venture, you can never prepare for the unexpected.

Lastly, I would like to state the following: We do not post fake positive reviews on Yelp, Columbus Underground or any other forum. Our customers have the freedom to state whatever they would like, good and bad, and those posts will stay on those sights. We do not filter them. Our goal is to exceed our customers expectations and create a happy environment where we will be able to create our niche and have repeat customers because of their experience and delight in our products. It is not my nature to duck any question or any post, if you get a chance come on in and say hello and introduce yourself. I am there pretty much every day and it would be nice to hear your input and get to know you. I firmly believe our quality and service will continually set the standards in the restaurant business.

Thanks again for your blunt honesty and opinions, and trust me we are continually striving to make everyone’s experience an enjoyable one.

Allen ” AJ ” Hazen

A very good start. It’s hard to hear people tear your business apart without any knowledge of the blood, sweat, and tears that go into it. But being able to take a step back and parse the feedback objectively will ultimately help you sync up with your desired intent, to build a business that brings you success while providing a delicious product to your customers.

pspock
    Participant

I’ve been going there about once a week. My wife still likes it too… but neither one of us has experienced heaven on earth inside those doors yet. We go for the good hot dogs. Heaven can wait for us to die from eating them.

twomaddogs
    Participant

Joe not to get in a pissing match but this has bothered me for the past few days. Well when you compare apples to apples I understand but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Two Mad Dogs uses Hebrew National all beef hot dogs 1/4 of a pound = 4 hot dogs to pound” the most expensive hot dog around” The other places use 8/1 of a pound = 8 hot dogs to a pound.

Everything we have done is top quality and only the best quality and value, all fries are cut fresh and fried on a per order basis and the bread is delivered fresh each day not shipped in frozen.
    We use fresh sauerkraut not out of a can , tomatoes and onions are cut fresh every day and delivered to us every other day. Our pickles are Schwartz brand In the food service circles, say “Schwartz” and you’re saying “quality.” For more than 50 years, Schwartz brand has delivered top-of-the-line pickles to the finest and most discriminating food service operations.
    We get our cheese’s fresh three times a week and the burgers are made with fresh Angus beef grown locally.
    Ice cream we tasted every ice cream company out there and decided on Ashby’s Sterling Ice Cream, the Davis family, began creating our delicious ice cream with the ice cream connoisseur in mind. Their vision was to make an ice cream that tasted as good as it looked. Using the finest ingredients–and lots of them—Ashby’s Sterling Ice Cream quickly grew from the initial eight specialty flavors to over 60 unique ice cream, sherbet, and yogurt flavors. Now, twenty plus years later, flavors are still “created”, not copied from other ice cream companies and the size of our scoops compared to other local shops with the quality and taste there is no comparison.
    Joe Mitchell says I am extremely ignorant regarding the food biz but I would start by looking at those margins or be sure that my product is 50-64% better than the competition. Our product is 100% better hands down how can you compare a tiny hot dog on a frozen bun that was made months ago to a quarter pound all beef kosher hot dog on a bun that was made fresh within the past 12-18 hours? All I can say is taste them both and make the decision yourself value to value and quality to quality we will win every time.

JoeMitchell said:
    Ha.

Or as the hip would say rolling on the floor laughing.

People like good food, people like good value, regardless of neighborhood.

We went to twodogs, I found it to be lacking value.

Four dogs, one combo’d and some ice cream, well over $25.

Wholly Joes, best Chicago in town, $2.75
    Filthy Freds, very good Chicago, $3
    Twodogs, ok Chicago, $4.50

I am extremely ignorant regarding the food biz but I would start by looking at those margins or be sure that my product is 50-64% better than the competition.

Numbers don’t lie.

twomaddogs
    Participant

One other thing to the whole Columbus Underground forum come see me personally next week July 25th – July 31st ANYONE on Columbus Underground and see for yourself the quality and value of our food mention this thread to me and I will give you 20% off your meal!

Side note Also we will be having a raffle to benefit JDRF[/url] on July 29th from 11am-9pm raffle tickets are $25.00 per ticket for your donation you get scoop of Ashby’s ice cream and a chance to win one free combo meal a week for a year. All raffle ticket monies are given to the local chapter of JDRF.

Thank you and look forward to meeting everyone Allen ” AJ ” Hazen

Rastapasta

I’ve never cared for Hebrew Nationals at all — surprised to hear they are the most expensive dogs. The people I’ve met who like Kosher dogs are usually from rural areas and grew up eating Oscar Meyer or worse. I grew up in Chicago eating Vienna beef dogs and they are a whole lot better. Since then I’ve had better dogs then Vienna Beef and they have never been from a Kosher brand. That’s not to say Kosher brands don’t make good dogs, I’ve just not come across one yet. Hebrew Nationals are pretty damn bad, even compared to others carried at the grocery store.

What kind of buns are you guys using? Are they of the poppy seed variety?

Rastapasta

Joe, if you like Chicago dogs you should check out ‘Best of the Wurst’ in the North Market. A couple small differences compared to a traditional Chicago but it’s a fantastic dog with fresh ingredients. Way better then 95% of the dogs in Chicago. I believe they use 1/4 lb Boars Head dogs.

twomaddogs
    Participant

We have plain buns and poppy seed buns all buns are steamed and can be toasted upon request

Rastapasta

twomaddogs said:
    We have plain buns and poppy seed buns all buns are steamed and can be toasted upon request

I grew up in Chicago and love dogs. S Rosen’s buns are what I’ve grown up considering “official”. I think the most important part for the buns is to make sure you’re using poppyseed beyond that I don’t the bun deserves as much consideration as the dog and toppings. I’ve learned that the Vienna beef dogs I grew up on are damn good for a standard dog – but there’s better quality stuff out there if you look. I don’t think Hebrew Nationals are any good especially if you want people coming back for them. I think a natural casing is one of things that makes a really great tasting dog.

The other thing to consider is I am a single guy — I have no problem spending $4-6 on a great dog for myself. Out in Powell you’re dealing with families so it may not be easy to sell a $6 hot dog to them. Many are probably mid-western folk who grew up on crappy grocery store dogs (Oscar Meyer,Sugardale, etc.) and have a preconceived belief that hot dogs are “cheap” food.

To be honest, hot dogs usually are cheap food. My favorite joint in Chicago (Hot Doug’s) serves Chicago dogs for $2 and all kinds of delicious sausages and brats for $3-4. The only way you can probably get away with premium priced dogs is in a gentrified neighborhood full of people without kids.

*edit* after reading the first page I am upset I participated in this thread. I love talking about food and especially hotdogs.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

twomaddogs said:

Allen ” AJ ” Hazen

Hey AJ:

Appreciate the direct approach, and if I’m in that neighborhood I will absolutely be downing a couple dogs at your joint. BTW, I knew I recognized the name, as we have a mutual friend who passed away recently and had seen a couple posts on Facebook.

tolemac5050
    Participant

tolemac5050
    Participant

The previous reviews are not genuine. I suspected Leslie D. is the owner of this place after reading her review where she proclaims this place to be “the best hot dog ever”. Sure enough, with a quick search I found that I was correct — owners Dan and Elizabeth Dahlen (Leslie D.).

Sorry Weenies- trickery and deception isn’t going to get your gimmicky restaurant very far. If you make good food with love you will succeed. Trying to fool people isn’t going to work.

Growing up in Chicago, I learned to love hot dogs eating a Vienna Beef dog once or twice a week. The dogs themselves here aren’t very good, just slightly better than an Oscar Mayer. I thought they would have a bunch of delicious and creative house-prepared toppings along the lines of Dirty Frank’s. Instead, the toppings are totally ho-hum and don’t deviate from things you can pull out of your own fridge.

The blue cheese chips are my favorite item on the menu. They actually deep fry their own chips which is surprising considering their lack luster choice of toppings.

***Saw this on YELP…Interesting***

Rastapasta

That was me who just posted that. This thread got me thinking about hot dogs (and wanting to eat one). I checked on Yelp and saw that Weenies had posted some BS reviews of themselves like this guy had done. I wish there was some where around campus for a decent dog — Best of the Wurst makes a great one but being in the North Market is a pain in the ass along with the hours.

At the end of the day, the restaurant owners who think they can get by with gimmicks or deception are the ones who loose — they’ll be closing up shop as fast as Big Woodys. The latest sheister on campus is Champs Bistro “a real campus tradition”. Can’t wait till they’re out the door and someone who wants to serve people good food comes.

It really makes you appreciate guys in our community like Jamie Anderson at Ray Ray’s BBQ who really love (and live for) the food they serve.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: