Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Anyone know anything about the new Hot Dog and Ice Cream restaurant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author

shadytree

anyone else notice that 7 of the 12 reviews on Yelp are from people with zero or one other reviews?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

shadytree wrote >>
    anyone else notice that 7 of the 12 reviews on Yelp are from people with zero or one other reviews?

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when I checked them out on Yelp.

JenSusanneSommers who posted the over-the-top praise a few replies ago…. 1 post on CU.

It’s pretty obvious what they’re pulling.

cbus11

shadytree wrote >>

Unfortunate, since atleast 5 seem to be genuinely real, positive reviews. I wonder if these ersatz reviews are all by the owner and not some by well meaning, but overzealous friends, family or employees. It does seem too obvious.

Ashby’s used to be a popular premium ice cream maker like Jeni’s. I guess that is what can happen if they get too big and lose their roots.

pspock
    Participant

It’s pretty good.

But the overwhelming ravenouse reviews are without a doubt way too over the top for a hot dog place. For crying out loud… it’s just hot dogs. There’s no reason to write a review like heaven has been found on earth.

I tried it on my own, and liked it enough to invite my wife to try it. Which alone is enough of a good rating given I wouldn’t ask my wife (who can be really picky about what she likes) to try it unless it was pretty good.

So my wife tried it liked it as well. She said she would go back. There aren’t a whole lot of restaurants that my wife will go back to.

So yes, it’s a pretty good place. I hope it succeeds. I like a good hot dog now and then, but I’m not going to go nuts and act like I’ve died and gone to heaven about the place though.

Roland
    Participant

I heard that Jesus individually packs each hotdog using the Heaven’s Own-Sausage maker(tm)? You ready to repent yet? Wipe that unkosher meat dribble off your face. WHAT SON? No amount of rave reviews for this joint will do it justice…

patient_zero
    Participant

Roland wrote >>
    I heard that Jesus individually packs each hotdog using the Heaven’s Own-Sausage maker(tm)? You ready to repent yet? Wipe that unkosher meat dribble off your face. WHAT SON? No amount of rave reviews for this joint will do it justice…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’d recommend the hot dog ice cream, it’s amazing!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Yep, how can Dirty Franks even miss with that!!!

Fuggeddaboutit!!!

manticore33
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I actually stopped in here last week with some friends who live in the area. They had eaten dinner there, but we just met up for ice cream afterward.
    I had two scoops – one chocolate chip, one mint chocolate chip. And it tasted like pretty standard store-bought ice cream. I wasn’t too impressed. And for $11 for 5 scoops for my family, I’d rather just go spend the same amount of money at Jeni’s for a much higher quality product.
    If I want cheap ice cream I’ll go to DQ.
    I think they could have done a much better job with the space as well. The high bare ceilings in a strip mall made it feel like I was in a grocery store environment, or a Best Buy or something. Very cold, minimalistic and loud and full of echo. It sounds like they’re going for mom-n-pop but it felt like more of a barebones generic franchise.

Walker, another good alternative is Whit’s Frozen Custard (cheaper and far, far better than DQ). The Delaware store allows me to make my custom quarts for $6.50. I’ll call them up and ask for something like vanilla custard, Oreo bits, marshmallow, and cookie dough. 15 minutes later, I have my quart. :) It is great for birthday parties too (sprinkles and marshmallows).

Oh, they have hot dogs and $.50 coffee too, but I am in for the frozen custard.

Edit: Dublin’s Location Menu

http://www.whitsdublin.com/menu/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

manticore33 wrote >>
    Walker, another good alternative is Whit’s Frozen Custard (cheaper and far, far better than DQ). The Delaware store allows me to make my custom quarts for $6.50. I’ll call them up and ask for something like vanilla custard, Oreo bits, marshmallow, and cookie dough. 15 minutes later, I have my quart. :) It is great for birthday parties too (sprinkles and marshmallows).
    Oh, they have hot dogs and $.50 coffee too, but I am in for the frozen custard.
    Edit: Dublin’s Location Menu
    http://www.whitsdublin.com/menu/

We tried Whit’s once when driving by the Sunbury location on a little roadtrip and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Your vanilla/oreo/marshmallow/cookiedough concoction sounds exactly like something I’d order. ;)

They have locations all over the place, but most are pretty remote for me to make a special trip. The only really central one is in Upper Arlington:

Whit’s Frozen Custard Now Serving Upper Arlington

Might have to make a return trip soon. ;) Thanks for the reminder!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

we had the flagship store in granville for whit’s too, don’t forget! :) cute store.

tolemac5050
    Participant

stopped for a scoop of ice cream, pretty boring, space is raw, stark and as Walker said, looks and feels like a barebones generic franchise.

tolemac5050
    Participant

sheesh…more “positive” reviews on YELP..one from the owner with a fake last name intial

berdawn

OTOH, Bucca di Beppo is always ranked highly, so maybe people in powell find this to be just their cup of tea.

saywhat

The horror, these simple suburbanites enjoying something so pedestrian….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: