Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Anyone ever make Kimchi?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Anyone ever make Kimchi?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

I had fried rice with kimchi and a fried egg for breakfast from Ajumama this morning and wondered. I know that it is traditionally done with NAPA, but I have a ton of regular old head cabbage ready to go in my garden. Any tips?

Corrin Radd
    Participant

derm said:
    I had fried rice with kimchi and a fried egg for breakfast from Ajumama this morning and wondered. I know that it is traditionally done with NAPA, but I have a ton of regular old head cabbage ready to go in my garden. Any tips?

recipe here:
    http://asiansupper.com/recipe/yangbaechu-kimchi-cabbage-kimchi

“Traditional kimchi uses Napa cabbage, or baechu 배추. This version uses the kind of cabbage that you find in grocery stores in the US. I don’t know when Koreans started making kimchi using this type of regular round cabbage. It is called yangbaechu or “Western” cabbage because we consider the origin of the cabbage to be from the Western hemisphere. Another odd thing about its name – this type is sometimes also called Chinese-style kimchi, because for some reason Chinese-style Korean restaurants (the kind that serve jajangmyeon) always serve this kind of kimchi, and not traditional kimchi.

Because this cabbage is thicker than regular Korean baechu, this type of kimchi is nice to have freshly made. It’s also very simple to make – more than the regular Napa kimchi. However, this type of cabbage kimchi probably wouldn’t be to use for other dishes that rely on traditional kimchi as an ingredient, like kimchi jjigae.”

I’ve made kimchi several times with varying degrees of success (and never truly traditionally which requires buying a special clay pot and burying it in the yard for a few days).

I do know that to get the flavor even close to right, you need to go to an Asian grocery and pick up some Korean pepper flakes/powder.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Thanks for that, probably what I will use. I have all the other stuff, probably can get the pepper powder at CAM

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

I think regular cabbage may have a slightly higher acidic content than the napa cabbage, but it still should work, just may have a slightly different taste than traditional kimchi.

I’ve been playing around w/ making kimchi for the past several months and have had some bad batches and some really good ones.Here’s my most recent post[/url], which turned out a little bitter. On a little advice from Laura from Ajumama, I pureed a little Asian pear in w/ the onion/garlic/ginger mixture and it turned out really nice.

As far as ingredients, I’ve been purchasing everything at Lotte Oriental Foods in Clintonville.

DavidF
    Participant

Mmmm Kimchi. Went to Jungle Jim’s yesterday and came back with 2 jars of wonderfully fragrant daikon radish kimchi. Cruncy yummy goodness.

I really need to try to make some myself.

derm
    derm
    Participant

jarsloth said:
    I think regular cabbage may have a slightly higher acidic content than the napa cabbage, but it still should work, just may have a slightly different taste than traditional kimchi.

I’ve been playing around w/ making kimchi for the past several months and have had some bad batches and some really good ones.Here’s my most recent post[/url], which turned out a little bitter. On a little advice from Laura from Ajumama, I pureed a little Asian pear in w/ the onion/garlic/ginger mixture and it turned out really nice.

As far as ingredients, I’ve been purchasing everything at Lotte Oriental Foods in Clintonville.

Thanks. Nice blog, I will work my way through it.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

derm said:
    Thanks. Nice blog, I will work my way through it.

Thanks. Good luck w/ the kimchi; let me know how it turns out!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: