Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #494884

    melikecheese
    Participant

    Wife and I stopped in this week to try things out, it was a little hectic, they are still learning, the bar tender ended up being our waiter cause the other guy was too slammed (He seemed to talk waaay to much to each person to handle more then a few tables)

    It was really nice having the bartender there cause when we asked what the differences between the 2 Mia Tia’s where he could actually explain it and was able to talk about sweetness levels and more. When I overheard the other table ask their waiter, he basically said they taste the same and only get the expensive one if your really into them…so maybe that needs to be brought into alignment.

    The mini sliders were fantastic and tasty, the crab rangoon was good and we really like the sweet and sour sauce.

    Wife loved her Mia Tia, I really enjoyed my Navy Grog, that guy knows how to make drinks, he did a excellent job, I was very impressed.

    We thought the lighting could be turned up a bit, I like dark and gloomy but with how great some of the inside looked, you lost some of it in the dark.

    We will be back!

    I am still waiting for some Grass Skirt Tiki Mugs by local artists to add to my collection!!

    #494885

    Fsonicsmith
    Participant

    melikecheese said:
    Wife and I stopped in this week to try things out, it was a little hectic, they are still learning, the bar tender ended up being our waiter cause the other guy was too slammed (He seemed to talk waaay to much to each person to handle more then a few tables)

    It was really nice having the bartender there cause when we asked what the differences between the 2 Mia Tia’s where he could actually explain it and was able to talk about sweetness levels and more. When I overheard the other table ask their waiter, he basically said they taste the same and only get the expensive one if your really into them…so maybe that needs to be brought into alignment.

    The mini sliders were fantastic and tasty, the crab rangoon was good and we really like the sweet and sour sauce.

    Wife loved her Mia Tia, I really enjoyed my Navy Grog, that guy knows how to make drinks, he did a excellent job, I was very impressed.

    We thought the lighting could be turned up a bit, I like dark and gloomy but with how great some of the inside looked, you lost some of it in the dark.

    We will be back!

    I am still waiting for some Grass Skirt Tiki Mugs by local artists to add to my collection!!

    What the fuck are these “mia tias” you keep referring to?

    #494886

    tolemac5050
    Participant

    Great atmosphere, yes, quite dark so you can escape to the tropics. Spam sliders very good, the chinese mustard gives them a nice kick. Drinks are crafted with pride, and each was explained with ease by the bartender. They need a door closer for the front door, since people do not realize they have to close the door. That will come in handy in colder weather. Glad they have a few spots for parking by the building.

    #494887

    Mister Shifter
    Participant

    FSonicSmith said:
    What the fuck are these “mia tias” you keep referring to?

    He obviously means Mai Tai. Cut him some slack.

    #494888

    melikecheese
    Participant

    Mister Shifter said:
    He obviously means Mai Tai. Cut him some slack.

    Yes, thank you Mister Shifter. Some people are very easily confused it seems.

    #494889

    groundrules
    Participant

    My general rule of thumb is a cocktail should have no more than two ingredients, but I gotta say, that total girly Blue Hawaiian won me over. It definitely tasted like vacation, and i could have sat there for several more.

    I had the chicken curry mini sammiches, and besides being delicious, take on a super sweet green iridescence under the black light.

    #494890

    ricospaz
    Participant

    I liked the Dark N Stormy and my wife had some delicious blue drink. We took home our mugs too. I liked the atmosphere of the place and service was excellent. We’ll be heading back to try out the food soon.

    #494891

    News
    Participant

    Review: Grass Skirt Tiki Room
    By: Morgan Kelley
    Published on October 24, 2012 1:15 pm

    The Grass Skirt offers a variety of mini sandwiches known as Menehunes, which according to Hawaiian folklore are small woodland creatures similar to Gnomes. Whatever you do, just don’t call them sliders. The Hawaiian Burgers (2 for $5) are small hamburger patties topped with Swiss cheese, green onions, grilled pineapple served on a Hawaiian sweet roll bun. The beef itself isn’t anything noteworthy, though the saltiness complements the sweetness of the pineapple and the sprinkle of cinnamon on top. I found the burger could use some sort of sauce condiment, and while the menu states they are topped with a Teriyaki mayo, I believe it was omitted from my sandwich. What elevates these burgers is the toasted insides of the bun. Slathered in butter and browned on a stove top, the sweet rolls really turn these li’l ones into something a regular bun could not achieve.

    READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/review-grass-skirt-tiki-room

    #494892

    News
    Participant

    Restaurant review: Grass Skirt
    By G.A. Benton
    From the November 1, 2012

    Exotic landscaping leads your gaze to a nondescript, puny-looking building when facing the Grass Skirt. Chuckle-junkies and outre amusement-seekers — or, hell, anyone who just likes a good time — should immediately bolt in. See, only an enjoyment-gene-deficient person could resist the wacky charms lurking behind the Grass Skirt’s oversize-knife-and-fork-handled door.

    READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2012/11/01/restaurant-review-grass-skirt.html

    #494893
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

    Thursday, Nov 8 update from Grass Skirt!
    Grass Skirt Tiki Room
    Hey there, our patient, hungry friends: We’re open for lunch! This is our very first day, so we may be on shaky baby deer legs with timing and such. If you have limited time, maybe visit us next week. But if you’re down for island time fun with us today, doors open at 11am!

    #494894
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Finally! :D Can’t wait to stop in soon for lunch!

    #494895

    buckette13
    Member

    Best part is the umbrella drinks (which are strong), too risky at lunch… :(

    #494896

    Rockmastermike
    Participant

    groundrules said:
    My general rule of thumb is a cocktail should have no more than two ingredients, but I gotta say, that total girly Blue Hawaiian won me over.

    “tiki” style cocktails really are the exception that proves the rule.

    They truly stand out as art in a world of 1000s of “vodka/cranberry/peach” kiddy cocktail variations that seem to infest the modern tavern like brightly colored cockroaches.

    #494897

    buckette13
    Member

    groundrules said:
    that total girly Blue Hawaiian won me over.

    will have to try that one! Love those girly drinks! Planning a post-thanksgiving girls night out for that.

    #494898

    Campbell
    Blocked

    Anne said:
    Thursday, Nov 8 update from Grass Skirt!
    Grass Skirt Tiki Room
    Hey there, our patient, hungry friends: We’re open for lunch! This is our very first day, so we may be on shaky baby deer legs with timing and such. If you have limited time, maybe visit us next week. But if you’re down for island time fun with us today, doors open at 11am!

    This announcement seems kinda like amateur hour to me. If you are going to be open for lunch, then train your staff up so they can put out a consistent product worth experiencing. Apologizing in advance to avoid any criticism for lackluster food/service is very, very weak.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: