Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author

leftovers

I have to work into the evening tonight. Will have to watch the opening on webcam. If anyone can post their thoughts and pictures it would be appreciated.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I stopped by at 5pm. Liz was out front having her photo taken. She invited me in to take a look. Nice. Really nice. I went to a table and put a dash of salt in my hand so I could be one of the first people served.

We won’t be able to go there for real until the weekend. I wish Liz and everyone there success.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

We were just there. the joint is a-hoppin’.

Had a really solid mai tai. Delicious. Great choice for an after dinner drink.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

We stopped in with some friends tonight. Basically ordered one of each from the food menu, plus a couple rounds of drinks. Favorites included the veggie spring rolls, and the Hawaiian and chicken & curry sliders. I had the two variations on the rum + ginger beer + lime drinks (Dark & Stormy Night and Polly Want a Kracken), and loved them both.

Really fun atmosphere, good time all around. Congrats to Harold, Liz, Carmen, Amy, and everyone else!

buckette13

We dropped in for some drinks. Atmosphere was a little different than I imagined but nice. My mai tai was pretty good. Looking forward to coming back after things settle down.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

BreakfastwithNick said:
    We stopped in with some friends tonight. Basically ordered one of each from the food menu, plus a couple rounds of drinks. Favorites included the veggie spring rolls, and the Hawaiian and chicken & curry sliders. I had the two variations on the rum + ginger beer + lime drinks (Dark & Stormy Night and Polly Want a Kracken), and loved them both.

Really fun atmosphere, good time all around. Congrats to Harold, Liz, Carmen, Amy, and everyone else!

Loved the spam sliders for sure. The curried chicken slider I think would be good served hot, “melt” style with some of the same swiss from the spam sliders. Or if it’s to remain cold maybe punch up the curry with some toasted coriander or something for rounder flavor.

I noticed when I left that it’s sure easy to drink lots of rum without really noticing it. Whewwee! :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Snarf said:
    I noticed when I left that it’s sure easy to drink lots of rum without really noticing it. Whewwee! :)

+1

When I stopped in last week I only had one Mai Tai, but half way through my walk home it started to hit me pretty quickly. Was surprised that one only drink was that strong, as it didn’t taste that way at all. ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

well the sort of ‘industry standard’ (trader vic’s or Don the Beachcomber’s) recipe for the mai tai has 2 shots of rum and some orange liquor in every drink. Not sure which recipe the G.S. is using, but it tasted like a real mai tai to me (albiet a bit on the sweet side).

Danger-y beverage to be sure.

Can’t wait to try their take on a zombie, which usually also includes a shot of 151! Folks are gonna need cabs to get home.

buckette13

One mai tai was enough for me. I liked that it was sweeter than some of the others I have had. My girlfriends and I are suckers for fruity drinks, but they do mask the alcohol.

mrpoppinzs

Will try and head there tonight. Some of these umbrella drinks can pack a wallop despite seeming a little girly.

News
    Participant

DISH: Tiki Room starts off with limited menu
    Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:36 pm
    BY MIRIAM BOWERS ABBOTT

The Grass Skirt Tiki Room (105 N. Grant Ave.) opened this week, replete with Polynesian paraphernalia, an animatronic snake, tropical drinks and a small menu featuring spam sandwiches and crab rangoon. But the Grass Skirt is still growing. The team is working to add more hours of operation and put more stuff on the table. In a few weeks, the menu will include several real, large-plate meals—some involving more spam, some not.

READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/food_and_drink/reviews/article_bf7a7be2-08c1-11e2-894e-0019bb2963f4.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One of my jokes about having it made is “I’m gonna kick back and see if those little cocktail parasols really work.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Liz on Facebook:

Loco Moco happens tomorrow at the Grass Skirt. Pair it with a fine rum.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

is there a rum list anywhere?

Patch
    Participant

Walker said:
    Via Liz on Facebook:

Loco Moco happens tomorrow at the Grass Skirt. Pair it with a fine rum.

Wow.

I love me some Loco Moco.

I wonder if this is a one time thing, or if it will be on the menu.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: