Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining The Grass Skirt Tiki Bar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

Anyone have any info? I know she is also talking about the ‘Tap Room’ in Franklinton and a ‘Dirty Franks II’ in Westgate. I am interested in this area of Downtown. I have heard several investors are selling and would love to know how far along the Lessner Tahitian place is? Is there a planned opening date?

labi
    Participant

Rumor-y info I heard yesterday was that opening is currently projected for fall.

Twixlen
    Participant

Columbus Food League tweeted on Monday that they started demo on the site that day… Usually once they take possession of the place & start demo, they crank through the process as fast as possible.

I am also excited about this one. :D (And the DF’s in Westgate!!)

cbus11

Would this happen to be the building you are looking at?

Live/Work Opportunity Near CSCC/CCAD

I sent you a pm.

Twixlen
    Participant

^ Nope – it’s on the opposite side of the street. The building that Grass Skirt is to be in is actually attached to the new Hills on one side.

leftovers

I have long heard stories about Kahiki (sic?) but had never had a chance to go there. I am really looking forward to this place.

Graybeak
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    ^ Nope – it’s on the opposite side of the street. The building that Grass Skirt is to be in is actually attached to the new Hills on one side.

Correct, it is the old location for MadLab Theatre and Gallery.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Construction is under way…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook…

“Our curvy bar is being built…”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also via Liz on Facebook…

“Tentative opening date: August 27.”

buckette13

I was driving along 5th by campus and noticed a sign of a bar called The Shrunken Head. Is that also a Tiki Bar style place?

Their logo and name makes me think yes, but their website doesn’t seem to talk about a theme and no drink menu is posted.

I haven’t been to a Tiki Bar since Chicago and a good one is a lot of fun especially for a girl’s night out. Regardless, can’t wait to try out The Grass Skirt. That curvy bar looks neat!

http://www.theshrunkenhead.net/

— Just found their food menu and it looks to be all pizzas, so I think I am wrong. :(

tourist19
    Participant

Nope, The Shrunken Head is the new name for the old Vic’s Midnight Cafe. It was at one time a coffee shop, now is more of a bar.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne & I got to pop inside on Saturday for a sneak peek, and it’s coming along quickly! The bar is installed, paint is going up on the walls, and the decorative lava and water displays are being fabricated. And there’s boxes full of tiki mugs in the corner, just waiting to be unpacked and drank out of. ;)

The floorplan is very open and square-ish, which is quite a bit different from many of the other CFL restaurants, which are more long-and-narrow rectangle configurations.

The concept is going to include some cheaper food options for the neighborhood students with fancy fun drinks made with dry ice and such.

Sounds like they’re still shooting for late August if everything comes together.

Can’t wait!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some new photo updates from Facebook:

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Mae and I are flying on Delta Airlines this week. Skymall magazine has 6 foot tall faux god heads that remind me of the giant gods that once graced the entrance to the Kahiki. I wonder if Liz will get similar artwork for the exterior.

Here we go:

Easter Island Monolith Statue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: