Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Any recommendable bicycle shops?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Any recommendable bicycle shops?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author

byJody
    Participant

List of Bike Shops
    http://www.considerbiking.org/resources/bike-shops/

Let us know if we are missing some and we’ll add them.

alove
    alove
    Participant

Is B1 one of the best places to go for a tune-up?
    I have an early 80’s Raleigh.

Any other recommendations?

sarahb
    Participant

i would highly recommend paradise garage. i bought my bike from there and they are really helpful and knowledgeable. (my bike is great too!)

10sun

So, update on Baer Wheels.

I went there and picked up my wheel from them a few days after the post assuming that it was ready and they just hadn’t called me. I paid the remainder of my balance with them ($5 as I had paid $100 at the beginning of this fiasco) and they gave me the wheel.

I was in a rush, so I put the wheel into my backseat without really inspecting it and hustled to work. Forgot about it for a day or two and then decided I’d get it on my road bike.

It became immediate apparent that they had failed in several regards.
    1. Spokes were not tightened. I don’t mean that they were close to being within tolerances, they were just plain loose.
    2. Cassette was missing.
    3. Spindle indicator was missing.

I took it back on August 16th and asked them to finish building my wheel.
    They were extremely apologetic and seemed to want to make this right.
    I asked them how long it typically takes to finish a wheel and asked them to finish my wheel build as soon as possible and they said that they would.

Sunday, September 5th I called and asked about the status and they said it would be ready within a week and that they would call me.

Tuesday, September 14th I called again and they said it would be ready within the week and that they would call me.

I’m going there later today and asking for my wheel and a full refund on labor and spokes. It seems to me that I purchased only a rim when I provided the hub right?

labi
    Participant

I too had such a poisonously bad experience with Baer Wheels that I feel compelled to chime in and say beware. Rude, patronizing, late – if you put together every bad stereotype of a bike shop, this was it. I marvel that they are still in business.

Anonymous
    Inactive

10sun wrote >>
    I paid the remainder of my balance with them ($5 as I had paid $100 at the beginning of this fiasco) and they gave me the wheel.

Dave Baer has been working on my bikes since ’92 with mostly great results. I’m not saying he is perfect, but any business can be at the mercy of its weakest link.
    I’m curious as to why you were charged in advance-I’ve never heard of him doing that…

Ghost of Clintonville past-Como Bike Shop-Bob could fix practically anything without new replacement parts, and he was willing to barter, too.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I’ve been a part of the local cycling scene for longer than I care to admit. The bike shop biz is very very hard. The margins are too low for the overhead. Service is not that profitable either. The guys at B-1, Casey and Morgan in particular are first rate, but they kind of cater to fixies and hipsters (which is cool, that being the niche they kind of carved out for themselves. Generally speaking, with tightly constrained budgets, the best bet is to buy a used bike from wherever you wish and than take it into a reliable shop (B-1) to have worked on.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FSonicSmith wrote >>
    I’ve been a part of the local cycling scene for longer than I care to admit. The bike shop biz is very very hard. The margins are too low for the overhead. Service is not that profitable either.

Really? I’m sure business is tough, but with B1, Paradise Garage and Roll all expanding and growing, it sounds like these businesses are doing pretty well right now:

Investment in Biking Infrastructure Fuels Small Business Growth

10sun

0Angle wrote >>

10sun wrote >>
    I paid the remainder of my balance with them ($5 as I had paid $100 at the beginning of this fiasco) and they gave me the wheel.
    Dave Baer has been working on my bikes since ’92 with mostly great results. I’m not saying he is perfect, but any business can be at the mercy of its weakest link.
    I’m curious as to why you were charged in advance-I’ve never heard of him doing that…
    Ghost of Clintonville past-Como Bike Shop-Bob could fix practically anything without new replacement parts, and he was willing to barter, too.

I paid in advance by choice after I asked if they wanted a deposit and they said sure. By no means did they demand for more than this.

I just want to say that I have not had a single encounter with Dave through the course of this wheelbuild.

I will be escalating it now to get some answers.

artzymorena
    Participant

another -1 for Baer.

They take extremely long to finish work, are rude in general, and are not upfront with estimated times of completion. I will say that although I love the stock at Paradise Garage, I usually do not receive great service. When people are in customer service industries, I find it irrating to have to approach them in-store for help or guidance when they are chatting on the phone or with friends.

I say Third Hand, B1, or Bike Source on Bethal are your best bets.

paktinat

This is the very first critical thing I’ve ever heard about paradise. I’ve never had anything but a good experience there.
    I think this thread goes to show everyone has had at least one bad experience everywhere.

I will say Baer is hit or miss.
    I took my bike there once for a full “tune-up” after I got hit by a car and the insurance company was paying for everything. They acted like I was asking a huge favor when I asked if I dropped it of in the AM if they could have it done by 5. When I came back at 5 they asked me to come back the next day. They told me they had trued both wheels and it was obvious that they had not.
    Then again, I actually went there today for spokes; was in and out now problems.

For me, Dave Baer is like Gordon Ramsey. He seems to be pissy for no reason and sometimes yells at people but everyone puts up with it because he know so goddamn much.

anyway, in summation from me:
    +1 for paradise
    +1 or -1 for Baer seemingly depending on the phase of the moon

I’ve not had a chance to get into B1.
    Bikesource staff in Clintonville always rubbed me the wrong way and I’m not a fan of Roll for reason unrelated to biking.

groundrules
    Participant

big +1 on B1. Haven’t tried PG yet.

i know this thread started as a recommendation as to where to buy a $300 bike, and I’m not sure either of these fits the bill, but in the context of local shops that will be attentive, get your shit done, and be professional, it would be remiss to leave out:

1) Westerville bike shop – Kurt spend a lot of time, including making an after-hours fit appointment to make sure i was happy with a purchase

2) Bicycle One in Gahanna – this is a great neighborhood shop, and the owner has been around a while. They support Pelotonia, do good work, carry decent stuff, and are nice.

10sun

So, I talked with Dave today. Wheel was not ready, but he was quite pleasant about things when I asked what has taken so damn long. When I returned it to be finished, the staff just put it to the side and did not let Dave know about it. Dave said he will make things right with me tomorrow.

cc

Often businesses are only as good as their worst employee.

Fro

I recently had a great experience with Bikesource in Clintonville. Had a problem with a shifter on a bike I bought there over 10 years ago. They fixed it while I went to La Patrona for a drink. When I asked how much I owed they said “nothing, just keep coming back”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: