Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Any Proven Remedies for a Farting Dog?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Any Proven Remedies for a Farting Dog?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Our dog, Buddy, seems to be getting worse in his gaseous eminations, and they’re pretty rank. We just had someone stop by the house, and Buddy in his excitement, stunk up the place. Uhg… Before I just start randomly trying different diets, I’m wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue and had some measure of success. If I could even dial down the offensiveness, that would be a relief! Our dogs eat a diet of dry, premium dog food. Harley, our dog without flatulence problems, has a much worse diet, in that she eats the same food but also gets various snacks when she’s out and about (including her periodic raids on cat food). Buddy however, only gets a snack of people food maybe once a week or less (partially, because we don’t want to aggravate the issue), and otherwise remains on the same bland diet. Any advice?

Core_Models

Raw diet. I know it sounds like it would get worse, but I know people who have done it and it was exactly the opposite. It isn’t cheap though, make no mistake.

http://www.dogguide.net/raw-diet-basics.php

Thanks, Core. I’ve heard of that before, but haven’t ever tried it. I may try some other options, first, though, since it would likely be pretty expensive for a dog of Buddy’s size. He eats 6 cups of dry dog food a day (and isn’t remotely overweight). I don’t know what this would translate to in raw diet. We definitely don’t skimp on our dogs (including 3 major surgeries on Harley), but I’m hopeful there’s a less expensive solution :) We’ll go here if all else fails.

Core_Models

lol…trust me CG, the last person I knew who did it had a Great Dane and that thing was eating like 2 chickens a day!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Gas Be Gone. It’s beano for dogs. It’s the same kind of digestive enzyme additives that beano uses to help break down complex carbohydrates and stuff before they brew up intestinal gas. These enzymes are the same kind of thing the dogs (and humans) produce naturally in their digestion, just more of it. Gas be gone also has some plant extracts which likely do nothing useful except for marketing purposes but don’t look to be harmful.

The raw diet approaches the problem from the other end (literally) and tries to reduce intake of complex carbohydrates found in dog foods with just plain meat. This might actually be a lot more protein than an older dog needs. I know it’s more “natural”, but wild dogs don’t eat meat every day either nor do they typically live as long as pets.

You want my advice? Maybe do a little of both. But I know our vet had us mixing in a lot of rice when the dog got older to cut back on the protein concentration.

anyway here’s a link
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752898

here’s another brand of enzyme additive:
    http://www.prozymeproducts.com/FAQs_ep_41.html

disclaimer: I’m not a vet, I just enjoyed the company of some older dogs for many years.

mosholder

Have you tried killing it yet? I know a couple of ways you can do that and it will look natural.

Status update. In addition to the board, we talked with many folks, and decided to try a low carb kibble. We chose one available at PetCo: Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Natural Evolutionary Diet. We began gradually introducing the new diet (to avoid stomach upset), and at about 50% old kibble 50% new kibble, Buddy’s emanations ceased. We are maintaining at that (saves a few bucks). We can always switch to 100% low carb, if this mix stops working in the future. Just thought I’d share in case there are others out there who didn’t share in this thread, but are silently enduring the same problem…

JimSweeney
    Participant

shoot, take those lemons and make lemonade! maybe can you make a drinking game out of it?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

JimSweeney wrote >>
    shoot, take those lemons and make lemonade! maybe can you make a drinking game out of it?

If we tried that with the cat we would never be sober

DonnaTate

I used to have Greyhounds who as a breed are notorious for having farts that often clear rooms. The thing I found to work the best is switching to a holistic diet. No corn/other grains/fillers. I rfeally liked 2 brands, Innova and Canidae. Innova had a super high protein option, but unless you have a highly active/work dog, it’s probably overkill. Canidae was nice because they had 4 flavor options all with the same base ingredients so you could switch between them without upsetting your dog’s stomach. I believe they had chicken, trout and duck, but the last flavor slips my mind. Both brands are an all-stages-of-life food, so from puppy through senior, your dogs can eat it. You just adjust their dosage based on their status and needs. The food costs more, but they eat less, poop less and fart less. Their coat is much shinier and they have much more energy. In the end you wind up saving a lot of money!

The greyhounds had been on a BARF diet (bones and raw food) but I switched them from that to a dry kibble, just because they tend to have more dental problems on a raw diet like that, and Greyhounds don’t do so well with anesthesia so yearly dental cleanings meant a great chance they wouldn’t wake up.

groundrules
    Participant

note on raw diets- just be careful about sourcing things like bones and the like. Sometimes meat by-products that your butcher may keep around but not intend for human consumption can be a real host for bacteria. My dad’s dog had a near fatal brush with GI nasty she acquired from a gross raw bone.

Twixlen
    Participant

I have a cat that could use his farts as a defense mechanism, or out of anger, and those farts were eye blistering. At the same time, my dog was going thru some gastro-intestinal weirdness and I switched the whole gang to Avoderm – and am really pleased. They weren’t getting cheap food before, but I can really see a difference with this switch.

Sidenote – my dog has a leaning toward stress-stomach (terrier – he’s pretty high strung), and have found that adding a little canned pumpkin to his ration of wet food has totally solved the problem.

Bear
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>
    I have a cat that could use his farts as a defense mechanism, or out of anger, and those farts were eye blistering.

Was this cat black, by any chance? With a couple of white stripes up the back?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>
    I have a cat that could use his farts as a defense mechanism, or out of anger, and those farts were eye blistering.

oo la la

Twixlen
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Bear wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

oo la la

OMG – how much do I love this… Perhaps I should paint stripes on his back and change his name to Pepe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: