Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Any Experience With An El Camino?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Any Experience With An El Camino?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

and if hauling furniture from ikea is your main gig, get an equally ugly and shitty cargo van. Same aesthetic, only you don’t have to worry about the weather.

maybe you can paint some pictures on the side or something.

Tigertree

I also see me getting a paint job and fixing up the el camino and like you said, it would loose it’s utility. I would be scared of hurting it once it was nice.

Hael

Tigertree wrote >>
    I also see me getting a paint job and fixing up the el camino and like you said, it would loose it’s utility. I would be scared of hurting it once it was nice.

ignore the cosmetics, let it ‘rat out’. At the same time, have the engine rebuilt and make it a rumbling beast. i want one!

Tigertree

How about a thumbs up or down on the following
    Any Mazda Pickup
    Any Nissan Pickup
    Mid 80’s – late 90’s Ranger
    GMC Sonoma
    90’s S-10
    And I already know a Tacoma is what I should be aiming for.

blammo
    Participant

I worked with two different painting crews that used 80’s Rangers as their main vehicle. No problems ever with either of them, even when I drunkenly plowed my S-10 into the side of one and caved in the whole bed. We just hammered it out & kept using it.

Of course, this was in the mid-90’s so keep in mind an 80’s Ranger is going to be a 20+ year-old vehicle. Pickup trucks are designed to be tools, and if they weren’t properly maintained, they’re going to be hand grenades. You get what you pay for.

Tigertree

So basically if I don’t know who I am buying it from there is a lot of luck involved huh?

blammo
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

ignore the cosmetics, let it ‘rat out’. At the same time, have the engine rebuilt and make it a rumbling beast. i want one!

Exactly, drop in a crate 454 & flat black paint job, cragar/keystone mags. spray liquid bedliner on everything. terrorize neighborhood. haul lumber, gravel, and ass.

Motorist
    Participant

blammo wrote >>

Hael wrote >>

Tigertree wrote >>

Exactly, drop in a crate 454 & flat black paint job, cragar/keystone mags. spray liquid bedliner on everything. terrorize neighborhood. haul lumber, gravel, and ass.

Thats what I wanted to do when I couldn’t find a reasonably priced el camino but i don’t think the look will work on my ’95 dodge dakota. At least, not until it naturally rusts a little more.

Hael

hooker headers

thrush mufflers

ahh….memories.

blammo
    Participant

Tigertree wrote >>
    So basically if I don’t know who I am buying it from there is a lot of luck involved huh?

Yup. I have sunk thousands into every used vehicle I have purchased. What you don’t want to do is sink thousands into something you don’t really like. So either get a disposable piece of shit you can dump when something goes wrong, or find a truck you dig & mentally add a grand to the cost & set that money aside for if/when disaster strikes. And don’t be surprised when it happens. If you GOTTA have that El Camino, find a nice, straight, clean example, as cheap as you can get it, find a mechanic you can trust, then drop in a new/reconditioned tranny & engine. You’ll get a relatively new & reliable yet vintage car for 5-6K, and won’t always be waiting for the shoe to drop. OR you can get a bargain for $2K and gradually put that much back into it as each part fails. It’s a hell of a lot less frustrating to get it over with.

groundrules
    Participant

I recommend this. it’s kind of a Blammonator:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bar/1283413096.html

Motorist
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

Bitchin’

Tigertree

Part of me wants to get something huge and ridiculous and airbrush a wizard/unicorn/native american scene on it, but I think i’ll just continue my quest for a tiny, rusted red pickup.

Motorist
    Participant

Come on, go for the painted panel van.

blammo
    Participant

Motorist wrote >>

groundrules wrote >>

Bitchin’

there you go! trade him a Royal Enfield for it, download episodes of “The Fall Guy” for reference, and dominate Sullivant/Hague Avenue.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION