Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Any Baltimore experts?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Any Baltimore experts?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cbusbill 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

This summers family city trip is Baltimore. I have been once without the family about ten years ago but did not get to explore and now we get three days.

Staying in the Hampton at Camden Yards and will stubhub some Orioles’s tix if the weather is great, want to visit Ft. McHenry and the Harbor. Will walk around Fell’s Point as I enjoyed that last time and will hit the Book Thing on the way out.

Anything anyone wants to add that is a can’t miss for BMore?

countessbranca
    Participant

Ben
    Participant

Dat aquarium.

joev
    Participant

Get out to the eastern shore.

DTown
    Participant

Two words… steamed crabs
    Walters Art Museum is unbelievable if you’re even marginally interested in art
    Ellicott City is fun to wander around, shops & restaurants
    Babe Ruth’s birthplace and Edgar Allen Poe’s grave, if you’re a fan of either
    The Streetcar museum is cool, I think, if you’re into trains & such. Really shows you a different era.
    Children’s museum is supposed to be nice, along with the aquarium and Science center for family activities

Oh, and if you’re there awhile, and run out of things to do, it’s quick and easy to take the train (from Penn Station) down to DC and see the sights there.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas. I have a MARC station right near the hotel to DC and was thinking of that but we did DC twice the last four years and probably will stick to BMore. Similarly the east coast, we did Philly to Rehoboth last summer and that is what sparked the Baltimore trip while we were driving back. I will say that if the weather is super awesome I would not mind another night in Rehoboth.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I would suggest avoiding west Baltimore and east Baltimore. They can be pretty rough. Also, the quality of the newspaper there has declined severely.

*Source – I have finished all 5 seasons of The Wire.

Cbusbill
    Participant

My inlaws lived on the north side of DC for 10 years before moving to Columbus last summer. My wife and I took occassional jaunts w/ our boys up to Baltimore while visiting them over the years (its only 40 min to downtown from their house…pending traffic :-)

Depending on the age of your kids, I would highly recommend the following, all of which are centered around the Inner Harbor at the heart of downtown:

– hit the Baltimore Visitors Center on the west side of the harbor…very close to where your hotel is
    – above anything else, you really do need to hit the National Aquarium…seriously
    – take a water taxi across to Fort McHenry, great historical site w/ amazing view of the city
    – USS Constellation & nearby ships (you can get a ticket to board/tour various ships/submarines around the harbor…our boys loved this!!
    – grab crab cakes or steamed crab at one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor (there are several small glass enclosed malls dotted around the harbor, with restaurants being a main component)
    – rent a paddle boat and tour the harbor
    – hit the Maryland Science Center (if you have a Cosi membership, its free!!)
    – a few blocks north of the harbor, I highly recommend the Port Discovery Childrens Museum (only if you have tweens or younger)
    – take in an Orioles game…even if you’re only a casual baseball fan, its worth it

We never ventured out further into the city, so my recommendations stop there. Have fun, you will be amazed how much that city has to offer. It gets overshadowed by its larger neighbors to the north (Philly) & south (DC), but it is a perfect long weekend getaway for sure!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: