Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Condado - Tacos, Tequila & Margaritas - Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Condado – Tacos, Tequila & Margaritas – Short North

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  RedStorm 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

jamesr
    Participant

Does anyone know what space/site they are referencing in this article?

I’ve been to Barrio in Tremont and had a great experience, but it seems to be on par with Bakersfield. Thoughts?

jamesr
    Participant

jamesr
    Participant
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ve been to Barrio in Cleveland. I thought it was pretty delicious. It’s very similar to Bakersfield or Local Cantina, but the interesting shell combinations are a cool twist.

News
    Participant

Cleveland Restaurateur Opening Condado Tacos in The Short North
    November 6, 2014 12:00 pm – Walker Evans

When Joe Kahn launched his build-your-own-tacos restaurant in the Tremont neighborhood in Cleveland in 2012, he had no idea it would prove to be so popular. The restaurant, known as Barrio Tacos (not to be confused with the short-lived Barrio Tapas here in Columbus), opened a second location in Lakewood in 2013, but then Kahn sold the business to his partners and decided to bring the concept to a different market with a different name: Condado.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cleveland-restaurateur-opening-condado-tacos-in-the-short-north

bobcatz
    bobcatz
    Participant

All my Cleveland friends rave about Barrio, so I’m excited to try this. I wonder if it’ll be different in any way?

jOHnH
    Participant

BArrio is awesome, very excited for this. Not to hate on Bakersfield, but Barrio tacos are next level. Curious to see what they do with the old Circus space. I went to the Barrio in Tremont (I think, it was that location), and they had an awesome patio and pretty cool interior as well. Circus/High 5, is a pretty generic lay.

News
    Participant

Nightlife Review: Customization is Key at Condado Tacos
    November 28, 2014 7:00 am – Jenna Taylor

Condado, the latest Mex-American concept created by restaurateur Joe Kahn has officially opened its eclectic doors for the first time in Columbus. The restaurant occupies the old Circus Bar at 1223 North High Street, a location convenient for those who work, play, or live in the Short North area. The atmosphere here has a personality unlike any eatery that has dared to dance its’ feet in this highly competitive part of High Street. Artwork resemblant to the Mexican holiday, the Day of the Dead, is hand-painted and stenciled throughout the walls of Condado by the Finko Creative group. Dim lighting and aged wooden church pews balances the need to be contemporary without losing that sense of home feel.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/customization-is-key-at-condado-tacos-jt1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We popped in here on Saturday night for take-out and enjoyed it quite a bit. Two tacos were filling enough for me for dinner (I had the shrimp ceviche ones) and the chips and guac were pretty amazing too.

The whole space was pretty busy, but take-out service was still quick, which was nice.

We’ll definitely be back for sit-down service sometime in the near future.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I have been there 4 times already… I kind of enjoy it. This place is awesome for drawing people to the northern side of the SN

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

Last night, we planned a sort of impromtu birthday party here for the wife. The staff was extremely accommodating, courteous and attentive. The tacos were delicious and margharitas were tasty too. Their selection of local brews on tap is perfectly curated. We will definitely be there often. Condado is a much needed and welcomed addition to the Garden District!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Went here for the first time on Friday. We made it by happy hour and enjoyed the half of margaritas. One weird thing is they make you sit at the communal tables if you want to get the happy hour pricing. We’re not anti social so no big deal, but it did seem funny to be elbow to elbow all the way down both sides of the long table with the rest of restaurant completely empty. (which changed by the time we left to be packed).

I had the standard Gauc, el santo taco, and a poncho’s ghost taco. Everything was really good and I actually after eating a whole bowl of gauc could have just had one taco. They are good size.

We’ll be back.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We tried to go last Saturday night around 8:30pm. I expected it to be pretty busy because of the weather but holy shit was it crazy. There was a line down the block at least 35 people deep waiting to get in. It looked like to get into a dance club (ironic?) or a concert

I guess the students are venturing south more these days.

I’m a fan of this place but we’ll stick to weekday happy hours or until Summer when the swarm leaves.

RedStorm
    Participant

^Only two down sides – the noise level (music always seems too loud for my taste) and the crowd. I wonder if in the summer it thins out with more patio use. I’ll have to see as they make some of the best margaritas in the city -> the blood orange specifically.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m a fan of this place but we’ll stick to weekday happy hours or until Summer when the swarm leaves.

Two weeks until location #2 is up and running.

More details coming soon. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Celebrate The New Year in Three Ways with CU!

Get your tickets online before these events sell out!