Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Another Subway opening Downtown (seriously)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Another Subway opening Downtown (seriously)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Those little paper trays of “steak” give me the weebles.

sjf

+1 for a taco truck at the Statehouse. I would make a weekly visit.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

sjf, do you work in the political realm, or just work near the statehouse?

sjf

Just near the Statehouse (Huntington building).

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

right on. we used to be in that building until Huntington Center wooed us to move next door.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ha! I saw the sign for this the other day. Pretty crazy to see yet another one opening. Sheesh.

cbradkee

Does Columbus have commissary type trucks that go around from business to business? I once worked somewhere (out of state) that had a truck come by every day and most everybody ate from it a few times a week. It was fantastic! Everything from deli quality sandwiches to hot dogs, sausages, burgers and yes, even salads. It was like street vendors meet Katzingers, only a lot less expensive. That would be great here!

joev
    Participant

cbradkee wrote >>
    Does Columbus have commissary type trucks that go around from business to business? I once worked somewhere (out of state) that had a truck come by every day and most everybody ate from it a few times a week. It was fantastic! Everything from deli quality sandwiches to hot dogs, sausages, burgers and yes, even salads. It was like street vendors meet Katzingers, only a lot less expensive. That would be great here!

My brother who works on 5th in the Warehouse District says there’s one that comes near his office. Mostly pop, snacks and candy bars.

sjf

von wrote >>
    right on. we used to be in that building until Huntington Center wooed us to move next door.

I’m not sure why we have our offices here as it seems like a terribly expensive locale plus many clients hate coming downtown.

lifeliberty
    Participant

cbradkee wrote >>
    Does Columbus have commissary type trucks that go around from business to business?

yes, they do. there used to be one downtown every day while they were renovating the lazaraus building. I thought the name was Johnson’s or something

gramarye wrote >>
    I have to presume that the regional managers are aware of the risks of oversaturation and think that these locations will not draw too much business off of one another. If not, well, they’ll get what’s coming to them, and then we’ll get some variety in the downtown market and teach a bit of a rough lesson in market economics at the same time. That said, Subway has been doing quite well and I think is now the second-largest fast food chain the country, behind McDonald’s. (Of course, some of that growth could be unsustainable, fueled by debt, and about to implode–I have no idea. But for the moment, they’ve been expanding like wildfire. This isn’t just a Columbus thing.)

The biggest complaint you will hear from Subway franchisees is that they aren’t granted exclusive territory. Subway doesn’t mind the franchisees cannibalizing.

I’ve even heard that regional managers have pay incentives to open as many new locations in their areas as possible.

joev
    Participant

A family friend in my hometown was basically forced into buying a new Subway franchise (inside a new Walmart) because it was so close to their first, very successful store, and could have cut down profits quite a bit.

honavery

I have read that Subway is a very cheap franchise also.

saminummi

Don’t forget on the corner of Grant and Oak

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: