Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Another Subway opening Downtown (seriously)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Another Subway opening Downtown (seriously)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

honavery

Saw a sign for one opening at Town and 3rd. I believe that brings the total downtown to close to 10….

High and State

Leveque Tower

Gay Street

The one by the Elevator

The one by the Library

Convention Center

Court House

E. Broad

I don’t really have a problem with Subway, but it’d be nice to have some variety….

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

other restaurants are more than able to buy up those spots too though. subway just seems to be the more aggressive restauranteur. great business model – maybe some local companies should take notes.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The subway on third/penn has a sub I haven’t seen at other subways…the “feast.”

It’s basically every sliced meat they have, and it’s awesome.

misskitty
    Participant

I had heard that Subway will also take the spot in Nationwide where the McDonalds use to be.

surber17
    Participant

Yeah have to agree with von. Really all that Subway is showing is that there is money to be made downtown and they have the perfect business model for it. Plus I’d rather have a Subway than an empty storefront.

misskitty
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

They have the Feast at the Gay st location as well.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

They did lose the one that was inside City Center. I think it seems like an oversaturation too, but I also don’t eat there too often.

joev
    Participant

No f’in way!
    Would be nice for a few of these to stay open till at least 5:30. The two that I walk past on my way home from work close at 5, making a quick dinner pick-up impossible. I would think they’d more than make up for an extra hour of operations with dinner sales.

lifeliberty
    Participant

I get burnt out on Subway everytime they have a $5 footlong sale. haven’t eaten there since. but the State and High location is open later, like 7 or 8 I think.

Potbelly is so much better anyways and they stay open later as well.

gramarye
    Participant

I have to presume that the regional managers are aware of the risks of oversaturation and think that these locations will not draw too much business off of one another. If not, well, they’ll get what’s coming to them, and then we’ll get some variety in the downtown market and teach a bit of a rough lesson in market economics at the same time. That said, Subway has been doing quite well and I think is now the second-largest fast food chain the country, behind McDonald’s. (Of course, some of that growth could be unsustainable, fueled by debt, and about to implode–I have no idea. But for the moment, they’ve been expanding like wildfire. This isn’t just a Columbus thing.)

HighLife
    Participant

My biggest wish for downtown food would be for anything – ANYTHING – to replace the Ho Toy. Well, maybe not anything – there is a Subway just around the corner. But can you imagine how much business, say, a bigger El Arepazo or even just a regular old Chipotle would do there?

And yet, the Ho Toy marches on…

lifeliberty
    Participant

I used to hate Ho Toy food. it used to taste like dirty dish water.

I love the building though, LOVE IT!

I have ordered there 2 times in the last week, the sezchwan chicken and the shrimp chow mein, both were really good. the food was much improved from years ago. It is much more flavorful than Lee’s China Kitchen(which over the years has blanded out).

but it kinda smells in there. so I recommend ordering takeout and not spending much time in there because you will smell like it for the rest of the day, the smell soaks into your clothes. it’s not a good smell.

misskitty
    Participant

We need a Taco Truck downtown. Or a Taco bell but I would rather have the Taco truck.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    We need a Taco Truck downtown. Or a Taco bell but I would rather have the Taco truck.

+1 – a taco truck would be my new lunch spot. i suggest near statehouse.

Hael

Snarf wrote >>

Ive seen this meaty sandwich at every subway in my path. Even better, albeit expensive, is the Philly Steak double meat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!