Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Another NY transplant..

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Another NY transplant..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hey folks,

I’m a mid-thirtysomething former New Yorker looking to make some sort of splash here in the C-bus. I write things, drink things, and eat things. Help me get a job along a bus line and I’ll be your bestest friend evarrr.

mrmann

Best to find a job downtown and your place close to High St. Mass transit really hasn’t found its way here yet.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Welcome, if you’re a foodie you’ll have a lot to explore.

Don’t believe the mass transit diss-talk. We install elevated rail along High Street next week.

MikeReed
    Participant

What kind of work do you do? What is the area where you currently live- or are you still looking?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Welcome to Columbus! What inspired your move, and what kind of splash are you looking to make?

I only ever lived in NYC a year, but I’ve never regretted coming back here from there. But it’s true that the mass transit gap is probably the single biggest thing for any New Yorker to get used to in the Midwest. The most reliable bus runs up and down High Street, but a bike and a place in a neighborhood close to where you work is probably your best bet if you don’t want to learn to drive.

bucki12

COTA is pretty limited as bus systems go, especially for a major city. It would probably be a good idea to familiarize yourself with it a little. Check out the COTA website and take a few trips. Coming from NYC prepare to be disappointed.

As people are saying COTA is a hub and spoke system with most buses converging downtown. The street with the most service is High St by far. I would really consider looking into getting a bike (as a second means of transportation) if you are carless as the buses also run limited hours in Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I dunno. I’d say most COTA routes are just as good as most bus routes in NYC. Probably even a little faster travel time in Columbus as streets are less congested.

It’s kind of apples and oranges to compare rail-based transit in any city with bus-based transit in another.

But anyway, welcome to Columbus! ;)

bucki12

It is also hard to compare COTA’s limited bus routes and scheduled times to those found in the NYC bus system.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    It is also hard to compare COTA’s limited bus routes and scheduled times to those found in the NYC bus system.

+1

That really is the biggest difference. Living in the NY/NJ area I never had the sense of doom in missing the bus there as I do here. Something whether another bus line, or an immigrant bus, or whatever was going to be along in 5 minutes.

I think conjunction to getting a job and apartment along a bus line, its important to try and find housing near work (or vice versa). Unless you like to get all your reading done on the bus, you probably don’t want a bus commute longer than an hour one way so that might be something to keep in mind when looking for employment.

Personally, I’m one of the live where you play types whose settled into on of the denser inner city neighborhoods that’s lively on evenings and weekends, so you might also want to investigate the “personality” of local neighborhoods and see what feels right.

joev
    Participant

Welcome to Columbus!

Hope you love it here!

Don’t let everyone scare you about the bus system.

ricospaz
    Participant

Buy a car!

M.O.
    Participant

Buy a horse. The hipsters haven’t discovered them yet and they’re sustainable. No well-paying writing gigs in this town unless you want to work for a politico or an insurance company, so keep your NYC contacts and tell ’em you’ll phone it in. Cost of living is much cheaper in Columbus, so a few airfares back to New York for meetings, etc. won’t make a dent compared to living out there.

catnfiddle
    Participant

What kind of work are you seeking?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

M.O. said:
    Buy a horse. The hipsters haven’t discovered them yet and they’re sustainable.

Works well with females too (strong language warning!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Paul
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    Works well with females too (strong language warning!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

I thought you were going to link to this:

http://www.shutupwomangetonmyhorse.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: