Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Max and Erma's on Kenny Road has Closed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Max and Erma’s on Kenny Road has Closed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

chaptal
    Participant

Max and Erma’s on Kenny Road closes its doors.

Is the original, German Village, location the only one left in Columbus?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Not sure but I think that’s the last business in that whole building. Time to photograph it before it’s knocked down.

Last year I heard something about that property being slated for some environmentally-friendly development, but I haven’t heard anything about that since.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

There’s at least two more still open that I know of. One the corner of Sawmill and Hard Rd, and Dublin Granville Rd and 71.

agtw31

i just ate there a couple weeks ago,had to go find somebody to seat us.

it was empty

Cemetary and Frantz Rd locations are still open,i believe

cc

It is impressive they lasted so long. That plaza has been dead for years.

kcrissinger

Did the one on Cemetery Rd in Hilliard close?

agtw31

i don’t know if the Cemetery Rd. location is closed,but the last time i ate there they had a really strong dinner rush.

pez
    Participant

Cemetery Rd. is still open, as are Frantz Rd. and Sawmill.

Tenzo
    Participant

Back in 1980 a girlfriend took me to Columbus for the Michigan OSU game. I think it was a Max and Erma’s she took me to. It had tables on all different levels and a diferent type of phone on each table.

The idea was you could call other tables.

Was that a Max and Erma’s?
    Is there a place like that in Columbus?
    Was I doing recreational drugs in the 70’s?

(answer to last one is yes)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yes, that was probably the Kenny Rd location, it’s split-level like that. That whole building used to be various shops on different levels like that.

Core_Models

Yeah, the M&E on Kenny was originally a big “singles joint” when that was still even a thing, and the phones on the tables were literally there to hook up with people. Awesome.

pez
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    Back in 1980 a girlfriend took me to Columbus for the Michigan OSU game. I think it was a Max and Erma’s she took me to. It had tables on all different levels and a diferent type of phone on each table.
    The idea was you could call other tables.
    Was that a Max and Erma’s?
    Is there a place like that in Columbus?
    Was I doing recreational drugs in the 70’s?
    (answer to last one is yes)

That was Max & Ermas. They had the phone number on the lamp over the table. I’ll see if I can dig up a picture.

Tenzo
    Participant

and it just closed!?

[email protected]!t

Anyone know when they are going to auction off the contents?
    Would make a nice gift to the girl who took me there. (Who happens to now live in Columbus with four kids, 2 dogs, cats and a volvo )

armyoflarry

Not shocked by this news at all. My last experience with Max & Erma’s was in that very location about two years ago. It was a Friday night, and the place was dead. We got our food an hour and a half after ordering. The order was wrong, the food was cold and we had to go to the bar to get drink refills.

It broke my heart, because I had so many fond memories of my Parents taking my brother and I there when we were kids. We always went on Sunday nights so we could listen to the Jazz bands that played there after our meal. As a young and budding drummer, that was a real thrill for me because I had never been to a concert at that point.

cyclist II
    Participant

I used to like eating at the Max and Erma’s in City Center under the Lazurus skywalk with the window seat.

According to their website, it looks to like there are 15 around Columbus and one in Lancaster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE