Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amtrak plans 220mph trains for Northeast Corridor

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Amtrak plans 220mph trains for Northeast Corridor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

M.O.
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    No, neither is exciting to me, or others.

We have “free” public land. It rests in the center median of all major roads and freeways. We have millions of Americans unemployed, on assistance, or just waiting for an opportunity to come along.

This could work, and for a hell of a lot less than $151B.

We should look at all needs like our own checking account, not some “magic money”. This is part of the wrong attitude of the new entitlement America. Using food stamps to by Coke and donut holes? Should be illegal.

Hey … I like this idea. Something going 220 mph in the freeway median might be just distracting enough to divert 5-0 attention from me in my puttering 85 mph automobile … nah …

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ToddAnders said:
    Ok, I knew as soon as I typed it that it would go in the start another tread category.

Then you shouldn’t have started it. This discussion wasn’t about the 3C until you decided to bring out the dead horse to beat.

bman
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    What is Europe/France spending to build their high speed network? I just can’t imagine it costs this much? http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/16/amtraks-151-billion-high-speed-rail-plan-are-there-cheaper-options/

An economy on the brink of total collapse!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ToddAnders said:
    No, you did this slowly, as a side business and organically made it into a communication board and partial media place. You can’t get where I am going with this?

Yes. I totally get where you’re going with this. We started Columbus Underground as a 39mph train with a small investment and slowly upgraded and made more investments and improvements over time.

I think we’re in agreement here that this is a good strategy.

Same one that Amtrak is using to continue to upgrade and improve existing lines in the NEC. (to get back on topic)

NerosNeptune
    Participant

good idea but in 2040 won’t europe and japan probably have 800 mph trains and we’ll still be in the stone age even on our most advanced lines?

but i guess it’s not so bad that they just plan to do what they can afford..

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’m hopeful that the absurdity of having to wait until 2040 before we begin to see such dramatic improvements in our own rail infrastructure will prompt a newfound awareness of the expediency with which our policymakers and entrepreneurs should be pushing for rail improvements.

cheap

stop voting for the same liar over and over,and there will be progress.

being a politician should not be a career

2 terms,then GTFO

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I think it’s quite a bit more complicated than that.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

If this is the best America has to offer for High Speed Rail… than I am disappointed. In 2040, I will be 43.. I am 15. It is OUTRAGEOUS to see this. How long did it take China, Europe or any other nation to do this? I understand we don’t have the whole system ready to go BUT I believe we do have a very extensive rail network in the US. Rail was once the biggest thing in America and we are coming back to it for several reasons but 38 YEARS for a damn High Speed Rail corridor? Come on, if you put all of the unemployed to work with just this job I’d think we could get it done, in say, 5 years. Maybe less.. and thats WITH quality.. This is outrageous. I hope the state [and the federal government] gets there head out of there asses and actually do something good.

bman
    Participant

CalebR said:
    If this is the best America has to offer for High Speed Rail… than I am disappointed. In 2040, I will be 43.. I am 15. It is OUTRAGEOUS to see this. How long did it take China, Europe or any other nation to do this? I understand we don’t have the whole system ready to go BUT I believe we do have a very extensive rail network in the US. Rail was once the biggest thing in America and we are coming back to it for several reasons but 38 YEARS for a damn High Speed Rail corridor? Come on, if you put all of the unemployed to work with just this job I’d think we could get it done, in say, 5 years. Maybe less.. and thats WITH quality.. This is outrageous. I hope the state [and the federal government] gets there head out of there asses and actually do something good.

Our standard of living is much greater than country you mention. Move to China if you want HSR!

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

bman said:
    Our standard of living is much greater than country you mention. Move to China if you want HSR!

Obviously not if your sentence is grammatically incorrect. And yes, because a 15 year old can just leave the USA and move to China…

geoyui
    Participant

bman said:

Yes, China’s standard of living may not be on par with the US (“much greater” as you put it), but China is not the only country with HSR.

high speed rail by country

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bman said:
    Our standard of living is much greater than country you mention.

Seriously! Just look at this dump!

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:

Way too many buildings and lights and technology. yuck!

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:

Exactly. Where are the surface lots to park my gas guzzling SUV?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: