Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amtrak plans 220mph trains for Northeast Corridor

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Amtrak plans 220mph trains for Northeast Corridor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Amtrak plans 37-minute train from New York to Philadelphia by 2040

July 09, 2012 | Dave Warner

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) – Amtrak announced a $151 billion improvement plan on Monday that includes 37-minute trips from New York to Philadelphia at speeds approaching 220 miles per hour (354 km per hour).

However, the U.S. passenger railroad will need substantial financial support from both state and federal governments to make its ambitious plan to transform rail travel in the Northeast a reality.

The railroad predicted that super-fast train trips along the East Coast could be a reality by 2040. Travel times from New York to either Washington or Boston – both about 200 miles in distance – would also be slashed, to 94 minutes, the report said.

READ MORE: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-09/news/sns-rt-us-usa-newyork-amtrakbre8681d9-20120709_1_acela-trains-northeast-corridor-amtrak-spokesman-steve-kulm

swinzo1010
    Participant

2040? I thought waiting for the additional phases of the 70/71 split fix were going to be a long time until I saw this….

Pablo
    Participant

I’ll be 77 in 2040 – pretty depressing….

kit444
    Participant

By 2040 I’ll just teleport there.

Twixlen
    Participant

Pablo said:
    I’ll be 77 in 2040 – pretty depressing….

I’ll be d.e.a.d.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

How long did it take China to build their national high-speed rail system…?

ToddAnders
    Blocked

In other news, we could be going almost freeway speed in just a few years and it only costs $400M.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/04/snail_rail_criticism_dogs_supp.html

GO, China!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This plan from Amtrak is an *upgrade* to existing lines and service.

If Ohio wants super fast rail, then we need to upgrade existing service.

So we need to build something first that can be upgraded later.

ricospaz
    Participant

2040? I’ll just run there on my bionic legs

ToddAnders
    Blocked

On rail lines that we don’t own and are currently moving freight that we have been told by the owners of these lines they are not going to give access to?

There are a lot of places to start, but it was not on a rail line without access averaging 39MPH and getting 57MPH. Obviously, not very exciting.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ToddAnders said:
    There are a lot of places to start, but it was not on a rail line without access averaging 39MPH and getting 57MPH. Obviously, not very exciting.

Where would you suggest as a better place to start?

Right now, our passenger rail system runs at zero miles per hour. Obviously, not very exciting.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

No, neither is exciting to me, or others.

We have “free” public land. It rests in the center median of all major roads and freeways. We have millions of Americans unemployed, on assistance, or just waiting for an opportunity to come along.

This could work, and for a hell of a lot less than $151B.

We should look at all needs like our own checking account, not some “magic money”. This is part of the wrong attitude of the new entitlement America. Using food stamps to by Coke and donut holes? Should be illegal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ToddAnders said:
    We should look at all needs like our own checking account, not some “magic money”. This is part of the wrong attitude of the new entitlement America.

Who said anything about magic money? If people think money should be spent differently than you, it automatically means they’re entitled?

ToddAnders said:
    Using food stamps to by Coke and donut holes? Should be illegal.

Well, that answers that issue that nobody brought up. Thanks.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Ok, I knew as soon as I typed it that it would go in the start another tread category. This was about why something could not happen. Larger point: We can build this, and build it right once. If, and only if people begin to think about public money like their own money. I mean, Walker, come on. Maybe Columbus Underground could be better today and started faster if you would have hired $300/hr consultants to give you a strategy and hired high power sales force to blow this thing out of the water. Back in 2001, when you started and we met.

No, you did this slowly, as a side business and organically made it into a communication board and partial media place. You can’t get where I am going with this?

Mercurius
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    No, neither is exciting to me, or others.

We have “free” public land. It rests in the center median of all major roads and freeways. We have millions of Americans unemployed, on assistance, or just waiting for an opportunity to come along.

This could work, and for a hell of a lot less than $151B.

We should look at all needs like our own checking account, not some “magic money”. This is part of the wrong attitude of the new entitlement America. Using food stamps to by Coke and donut holes? Should be illegal.

What is Europe/France spending to build their high speed network? I just can’t imagine it costs this much? http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/16/amtraks-151-billion-high-speed-rail-plan-are-there-cheaper-options/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: