Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amish eggs close to columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Amish eggs close to columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Participant

Hello – does anyone have a good place (farm) close to columbus that they go to, to get Amish eggs? the only places i know are in Utica/Gambier, was hoping maybe someone knows of a place closer , maybe in plain city or something?

derm
    derm
    Participant

When the days start to get longer and the hens start laying the best places I have found are all on Craigslist where regular folks sell eggs on the side. Look in the farm and garden section, they are all over central Ohio. Almost every single place lets you see where the hens live and what they feed as well in my experience.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

*G* one of our family’s old traditions with Easter eggs was to have a demolition derby with them. We would go around the table, knocking eggs end-to-end, and with each strike, one would break and one would win, until finally there was only one egg left with at least one end intact.

Those thick-shelled Amish eggs would have killed everything else.

dashinhilliard
    Participant

You might try Yutzy’s Farm Market near PLain City, off US 42, south of the Der Dutchman Restaurant. Large deli and farm market – not sure where they may get their eggs from….

Schoolboy
    Participant

Not sure why “Amish eggs” are any better. Sorry but most Amish who are in the egg selling business practice many of the caging tactics that the other large egg producers do.

I would agree with the above Craigslist suggestion.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Looks like the ladies have started already

http://columbus.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=eggs

Bring any egg cartons you have, some give a discount.

bayrea
    Participant

So if I made an omelet with 3 giant eagle eggs and another with Amish eggs would you be able to tell the difference?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So if I made an omelet with 3 giant eagle eggs and another with Amish eggs would you be able to tell the difference?

Depends on whether or not the taste-tester was in FFA. ;)

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bayrea wrote:</div>

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align: center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S1uhjAtLow?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&w=620&h=379%5D</span&gt;

Fuck yes, Eagles are huge, I am sure their eggs are too. I don’t even want to meet the guy who can eat an omelette made from three giant Eagle eggs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Fuck yes, Eagles are huge, I am sure their eggs are too. I don’t even want to meet the guy who can eat an omelette made from three giant Eagle eggs.

Heh. And all this time I was waiting for someone to make the joke about Amish eggs being laid by Amish people. ;)

Anyway… sorry for the lulz. Not meaning to derail.

On a more serious note, we’ve gotten farm-fresh eggs from my mother-in-law’s chickens and while they’re not Amish, there’s certainly a difference compared to your regular grocery store eggs. The shells are a lot harder, the contents are a little thicker and richer tasting, and they last much longer in the fridge.

Definitely worth seeking out fresh eggs IMHO. There’s certainly a difference.

countessbranca
    Participant

Greenfield Farms is a cooperative of Amish farms sold in many local groceries. The eggs are certified organic as well, so they fall within those federal guidelines for treatment and quality.

http://www.gffarms.com/

I would caution against a blanket assumption that Amish eggs are somehow “better”. Make friends with some backyard chickens, or a local farm with a small flock that let their chickens roam and eat bugs. Good living conditions and a varied diet is what makes a truly delicious egg.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bayrea wrote:</div>

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S1uhjAtLow?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&w=620&h=379%5D</span&gt;

Yes I could – easily, the quality is way better

Schoolboy
    Participant

I would be able to tell the difference between an omelet made with free range chickens vs non free range.

I can tell you for certain that some of those eggs at Giant Eagle might in fact be from “amish” farms.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The yolks of the farm eggs are a much richer and darker yellow, they make the store-bought yolks look grayish-yellow. When you crack one into a skillet, the yolk stands much taller, a sign of a fresh egg.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I like all eggs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION