Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amazon moving into delivering groceries (CA and expanding to 20 cities)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Amazon moving into delivering groceries (CA and expanding to 20 cities)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

susank

Is Amazon.com the next Safeway?

Without a lot of fanfare, Amazon.com has begun to nudge its AmazonFresh grocery business beyond Seattle.

It began offering groceries in the Los Angeles area earlier this month, and the word is that the San Francisco Bay Area is next. If the results are decent — and only Amazon knows what will be considered “decent” — the idea is to expand to perhaps as many as 20 major markets in 2014.

418B33EE769AEBFE13D2D5EE3B4423.jpg

http://money.msn.com/stock-broker-guided/is-amazoncom-the-next-safeway

susank

I think this is kind of cool as they have some nice (and unique) items at great prices (think online Trader Joe’s). I am sure this is a natural progression as a lot of food is delivered to local grocery stores using similar supply chains as Amazon uses. Personally though, I like to browse the aisles and would still need my ‘fix’.

http://fresh.amazon.com/Gateway?browseMP=A83PXQN2224PA

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’d love for this to come here, but honestly, Hills Market fills the need pretty well already.

susank

Coremodels said:
    I’d love for this to come here, but honestly, Hills Market fills the need pretty well already.

I love Hills and have used Hills on the Go, but the difference is in a much greater selection and a different price model. Someone also told me that Giant Eagle will also be offering delivery sometime in the future as they do in Pittsburgh. So delivery maybe is the new trend. As I said, I personally think half the fun of grocery shopping is the browsing. That is why the coming French Market at the Commons will be so cool!

GCrites80s
    Participant

Amazon must be running out of new profit centers to explore if they’re trying to get into the notoriously low-margin grocery biz. Maybe the money’s in the delivery itself. Though I guess not having to maintain retail locations can save some buxx.

GCrites80s
    Participant

susank said:
    As I said, I personally think half the fun of grocery shopping is the browsing. That is why the French Market at the Commons will be so cool!

Yea, I’d just get the same things over and over again if I wasn’t exposed to new food ideas by seeing them in person. Then I’d get very bored with home food and wind up eating out every meal.

mrpoppinzs

Talk about the ultimate one stop no stop shop.

I already use Amazon to buy bulk canned and dry goods – cereal, soup, etc. I would be willing to give it a try depending how the fresh produce and meat delivery works. This would make it a lot easier to get over $25 for free shipping if they let you buy other Amazon goods at the same time.

I have always seen groceries as the heart of walkable neighborhoods, this might make that component a little less important. Goodbye food deserts…

bucki12

The grocery biz is already so cut throat.

RhondaH

Will they have fuel perks? ;)

eta:

Actually, now that I think about it. Just buy Amazon gift cards to get Fuel Perks at Giant Eagle and then use the gift cards to buy groceries at Amazon.

Hell Yeah!!! :)

susank

^ I hadn’t even thought about that.

RhondaH

susank said:
    ^ I hadn’t even thought about that.

My BF orders everything from Amazon so we already stock up on the gift cards for that reason. Personally I wouldn’t want the nearby Kroger or the other local groceries to go the way of Best Buy and Borders but I don’t think he would care. He sees groceries as just another chore.

joev
    Participant

This works fine for canned/packaged (processed) foods, but that’s only about 10% of my shopping cart.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

joev said:
    This works fine for canned/packaged (processed) foods, but that’s only about 10% of my shopping cart.

This is fresh food delivery as well, its all done locally (which is why its suck a limited area right now). When I get Hills delivered, its my entire grocery list.

mrpoppinzs

joev said:

From what I understand this is pretty similar to the very popular FreshDirect in NYC. They deliver all your groceries including deli meats, fresh produce and prepared foods. They have same day and next day delivery options. Amazon has been working on it since 2006 to make sure when they roll it out it will ‘work’. I imagine this could do well in Columbus depending on if Amazon feels there is a population density to warrant it (ie probably will work fine in the core but maybe not in the burbs).

I think the familiarity with Amazon is the real game changer. They have excellent customer service and I think people trust them more than most retailers. I also hear they source a lot of products locally. I don’t think they will get the flak that Walmart would.

This makes me think that the new mystery tenant at Rickenbacker might end up being Amazon.

buckette13

Will you be able to buy local ohio products like Snowville, der Dutchman and Jeni’s?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE