Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amazon eyeing billion-dollar investment in Central Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Amazon eyeing billion-dollar investment in Central Ohio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Yowza.

The online retailing giant’s Vadata Inc. data center affiliate was approved for two state tax credits worth more than $81 million from the Ohio Tax Credit Authority to locate a data center project here. A 15-year, 100 percent sales tax exemption for the facility will leverage 120 projected jobs and an estimated $1.1 billion investment over several years, according to a project summary released by the Ohio Development Services Agency.

The 120 jobs will have a combined annual payroll of $9.63 million within three years, or an average salary of $80,000, the state said. A 15-year, 75 percent state income tax credit also approved Monday will generate another $4 million in savings for Vadata.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yowza is right! I hope this doesn’t end up in the middle of a cornfield, although the parcel will need to be pretty large. From what I know, they tend to design their buildings sustainably as well…green tech.

Pablo
    Participant

Their HQ is in downtown Seattle, wonder if they’ll consider an urban location here?

futureman
    Participant

If this does occur, I would extremely surprised if it isn’t in New Albany or Dublin. This is a data center, with just a tiny amount of staff of 120. It will be in a cornfield and honestly I wouldn’t want something that huge in the middle of the city creating a huge dead zone all around it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

That’s almost as much money as Amazon just spent buying Twitch:

http://t.joystiq.com/all/2014-08-25-twitch-confirms-amazon-purchase

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

I’m tired of all these billion-dollar companies getting huge tax breaks.

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

The state would start collecting tax revenue for Amazon purchases shipped to Ohio addresses once they have a physical location, I imagine that’s a nice chunk of change. Anyone know Amazon sales numbers for Ohio?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I’m not sure if their datacenter affiliate counts for that?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If this does occur, I would extremely surprised if it isn’t in New Albany or Dublin.

New Albany was my immediate thought. They’ve added several similar data center projects in the past 2 or 3 years.

4kid
    Participant

Why not the old AOL/CompuServe facility on Henderson Road in Upper Arlington? If memory serves, Tree of Life’s attempts to house a school/church at the site have been successfully blocked by the City.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

so where are they going to put the huge field of solar panels to power the thing?

futureman
    Participant

Why not the old AOL/CompuServe facility on Henderson Road in Upper Arlington? If memory serves, Tree of Life’s attempts to house a school/church at the site have been successfully blocked by the City.

It isn’t nearly large enough. If this gets built here it would be absolutely massive. Probably in upwards of a 1 million sf … which would roughly be 9 times the size of a large Giant Eagle Market District or put another way 1 million sf would equal the size the Huntington Tower.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

On the other end of the size spectrum is the McCoy Building–Chase’s sprawling facility on the north side–which is 2 million square feet.

drew
    Participant

…or put another way 1 million sf would equal the size the Huntington Tower.

Now isn’t that a fun idea – a server tower!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think they should put it where I think they should put it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!