Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Amazing Local Parks

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Amazing Local Parks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

My wife has been exploring Columbus with the kids and recently introduced me to two amazing parks I didn’t even know existed.

1) Inniswood –this is way up north and has apparently been there for years. It features a host of beautiful and creative themed gardens.

The highlight is the child-oriented “Sisters’ Garden” which features a labyrinth, a treehouse, a windmill and a very magical “Secret Garden” seemingly constructed out of the ruins of an old house.

scioto-park-art0-g3d8ubsq-1sciotopark1-large.jpg

2) Scioto Audubon Park –this is very new, and located on the Whittier Peninsula. I had remembered hearing about it when they were planning it, but I had no idea it had been completed. It also must not have gotten enough press, because it was absolutely deserted. Today was rainy and cold, which might have something to do with it, but my wife says it was empty over the summer as well.

giac_082809.jpg

Highlights here include the sculpture garden playground, a water tower with an observation deck, a full sized rock-climbing wall (just standing there –seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, but hey…), a native-grasses wetland area and a bird-oriented environmentally friendly science center, all completely free.

0110_Climbing_Rockwerx.jpg

The only reason I can think of this place isn’t packed all the time is that people just don’t know about it yet.

Of course, hopefully everyone already knows about the gorgeous and expansive Rose Garden at Whetstone, and the Conservatory, Japanese Bridge and Community Garden Campus at Franklin Park, so I won’t spend much time talking about those. Another great park I’ve only recently become hip to, however, is Three Creeks. As part of my personal commitment to bike more, I’ve been riding from my home in the King Lincoln down to the park and back. The round trip takes about 2 hours and can be done almost entirely on dedicated bike trails.

You can start it off by heading up St Clair to the trail along 670. Take that east to Nelson Road, and then south, through Nelson Park, past St. Charles, through Wolfe Park and then cross Main and get on the Alum Creek trail. That will take you through some beautiful wooded areas all the way down to 3 Creeks.

racheltb
    Participant

All of our metro parks have something to love. Many of the suburbs have great playgrounds and water features to explore in summer too.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

We have had similar threads before

Slightly Secret Columbus Parks

DavidF
    Participant

I live right next to Three Creeks park and it is a hidden gem. The dog park is pretty awesome too.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

ChrisSunami wrote >>
    You can start it off by heading up St Clair to the trail along 670. Take that east to Nelson Road, and then south, through Nelson Park, past St. Charles, through Wolfe Park and then cross Main and get on the Alum Creek trail. That will take you through some beautiful wooded areas all the way down to 3 Creeks.

Yep that’s the trip, we take it all the time, just the other direction, start @ Three Creeks and end up downtown get something to eat and head back.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We just went up to Inniswood for the first time today. Totally amazing! It’s sort of like an outdoor version of the Franklin Park Conservatory.

Anne & I are going to have to make it a point to try and visit as many of our Metro Parks as possible on a regular basis. We’ve been to a few, but it’s obvious we’re missing out by not hitting the others that are further from home. ;)

dirtgirl
    Participant

Blendon Woods has an ultimate frisbee course, which is kind of fun for a change and might be cool with kids. Highbanks has some nesting bald eagles you can see if you take a hike with the park naturalist. The metroparks are pretty amazing. I’m not a huge fan of the playgrounds in Columbus city parks (many are old and badly maintained), but Worthington has some great city parks with brand new playground equipment. Oh, and still on the subject of playgrounds, Millstone Creek Park in Westerville[/url] is pretty unbelievable.

kalencap

Yes, Columbus area parks are awesome. Each one has its own niche/personality.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Join Inniswood’s MetroPark for their Annual Halloween Party on Sunday, October 31 from 2-4pm. “An Inniswood tradition with Games, crafts, Face Painting and More…”
    http://www.inniswood.org/calendar.htm

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Last Friday we had another honeysuckle removal event at Griggs, with volunteers from BMW Financial Services.

http://sciotoriverfriends.org/gallery/2010_10_22_griggs_honeysuckle

I love that Battelle Darby Creek Metro park is going to have bison. How many metro parks have THAT as a bragging right? It sounds like 6-8 bison should still be showing up in mid-to-late November. (I know there was another post about this a few weeks ago and there have been updates in the news since.)

Also, the Dispatch just came out with an informative article about how the Metro Parks system has been spending tax dollars:
    Metro Parks Put Last Year’s Property Tax Hike to Use

According to the article, “Metro Parks has spent $2.3 million this year to restore land at [Walnut Woods Metro Park], part of the $8.8 million in improvements and land acquisitions that officials say they’ve accomplished since voters approved the 10-year, 0.75-mill tax.

The tax costs homeowners $23 a year per $100,000 of home value.”

AnneD

Bison? How cool!

I really love the winter hikes series at the metroparks – we’ve visited most of the parks through it. It’s a great incentive to get to parks you normally wouldn’t visit, to stay active in winter, plus they feed you (Inniswood is definitely the best of the bunch in that respect.)

manticore33
    Participant

A great alternative is the relatively new Preservation Parks of Delaware County. http://www.preservationparks.com/

Over the weekend we had the fortune of talking to one of the park worker’s and found out that they will soon be breaking ground on a working farm from 1930-1940s era. Likewise, they have acquired land along US23 North of Orange Road and will be developing a new park in the Olentangy watershed.

Slate Run is a beautiful and my favorite metro park.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Great photos from Inniswood:

Inniswood Metro Gardens Photo Review

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: