Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

All Purpose Cycling Thread

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion All Purpose Cycling Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

New Cycling Initiatives Announced on Bike to Work Day
    May 16, 2014 9:39 am – Walker Evans

Over 300 riders took to the streets of Columbus this morning for a chilly-yet-sunny commute to work Downtown. Participating groups were led by cycling advocates from Yay Bikes!, CoGo, Friends of the Camp Chase Trail, Consider Biking, Transit Columbus, the Create Columbus Commission, MORPC and car2go.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-cycling-initiatives-announced-on-bike-to-work-day

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just took a nice 10 mile trek from Downtown to Valleyview and back. My first time using some of the new connector paths and bridges just south of Grandview. Really nice trails and some nice views atop the river bridges. Also ran into a friend (Hi Rory!) along the way which was fun.

Good day for a ride!

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

I wanted to share something I use for longer rides to give me an energy boost. Let me know your thoughts.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

Since it’s going to be a great weekend, get out to the Scioto Trail. Here is Boat House to the Scioto Hilltop Connector bridge with the 3/4 mile new section:

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

So yesterday for the third time this year, I was almost hit by another cyclist heading north thru this underpass. I realize you want some speed to get up the next hill, but be aware there are others out there so slow down.

Anyone else almost hit or actually hit here?

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

For those of you who are wondering why the Blacklick Creek Trail is not completed, I asked around for some answers.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

Cycling Westerville – County Line Road Bike Bridge update. Did they make the end of May deadline?

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

If you have not seen the Bike Depot in Westerville, you should.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

Is it just me or am I seeing a pattern of bike bridges running late? I know the one on Blacklick Creek Trail going over US33 was more than 6 months late, then the Suspension Bridge on Alum Creek Trail (Wolfe Park area) was to be completed in September and ran 6 months late, and now I just filmed the one above in Westerville going over County Line Road was due by May and is not nearly complete. Who is holding these people accountable for not meeting the expectations that these construction groups agreed to? I am sure there are more examples as theses came to mind, but my other question is why set a deadline if there is no real penalty if it is not met? I guess I don’t want to hear excuses, just results.

theRuhlMan
    theRuhlMan
    Participant

A thought provoking article: “Why it Makes Sense to Bike Without A Helmet”: http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets#.U5i6ofldWSp

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

A thought provoking article: “Why it Makes Sense to Bike Without A Helmet”: http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets#.U5i6ofldWSp

It seems like the author was just throwing different arguments out there to justify not wearing a helmet. Many of them are centered around the fact that more people get brain injuries driving than biking, but he never accounts for whether that adjusts per capita or not (as far as I could tell), since many many more people drive than bike.

This is one particular argument I found laughable:

There is another significant way that the use of helmets harm cyclists: Bike helmets discourage cycling. An Australian study on mandatory helmet laws concluded that laws that required cyclists to wear head protection actually decreased the number of cyclists on the road. The implication of this study? The fewer cyclists on the road, the less likely drivers will be accustomed to sharing road space with cyclists, ultimately increasing the hazards faced by cyclists and further dissuading people from hopping on their bikes.

As an environmentalist, this is very troubling. To improve public health and the environment, we need to do the exact opposite.

So don’t wear a helmet because it’s better for the environment? How noble of you.

I wear a helmet because I have a fear of not being in control of my own physical well-being when I bike city roads (i.e. a car can just run a light out of nowhere and cause serious brain damage if I’m not wearing a helmet). When I drive a car, I have seat belts and airbags as protection, and all the steel.

theRuhlMan
    theRuhlMan
    Participant

I believe that the studies the article cites do actually look at per capita injuries, especially

Risk of head injury per million hours traveled

Cyclist – 0.41
    Pedestrian – 0.80
    Motor vehicle occupant – 0.46
    Motorcyclist – 7.66

The article there is not making the point that biking is clearly safe, and the dangers ignorable, but that the risks people perceive and associate with biking exist in all forms of transport, and not necessarily more-so when on a bike.
    The second argument you quote is actually an extension of that, with the environmental statement being a bit of a distracting aside here (though a reasonable concept on its own). If less people are scared to bike on city streets, there will be more cyclists. If motorists are more accustomed to sharing the street with cyclists on a regular basis, the situation becomes more safe for cyclists in general. Therefore, the article is asserting that encouraging more cyclists, regardless of headwear, would make it safer for all cyclists than were there fewer cyclists who are all wearing helmets.

Also, for the etymologist in me, ‘per capita’ is really the only way to study brain injuries :)…

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

Easton – Alum Creek Trail construction begins (6/15/14)

I was riding by Easton and decided to go back to the corner and they have started the construction process.

Pablo
    Participant

I think we should be striving to be like Montreal.

North America’s Best Kept (Cycling) Secret
    JUNE 16, 2014 | BY CHRIS BRUNTLETT

http://spacing.ca/national/2014/06/16/north-americas-best-kept-cycling-secret/

Coy
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE