Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Alarm system questions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Alarm system questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

bucki12

Hi,

I will be moving into Weinland Park in a few months and have been told it is a good idea to get an alarm system. I work a lot of hours so my home will be empty a lot during the day and evening.

I am also a cheap bastard.

Is it pretty essential to go with a monitored alarm? I am tempted to get an unmonitored one, but a lot of people have cautioned me against this. I also am tempted to fill the yard with ebay puchased ADT signs and a few dog dishes/ dog toys Beware of Dog signs(I don’t have or want a dog) and a ‘day sleeper – do not disturb’ sign at the door.

Another option is the kind which you hook up to your internet and it sends a txt and calls you when it is triggered. This is much cheaper, but I am not sure how effective this is and it does have the caveat of me possibly ‘missing the call’.

The last option is the monitored ones. Which is where people are steering me. Is there a system that people tend to like, especially in the lower price ranges? One of my friends swears by ADT’s cellular one – but I think that costs $60 a month.

In the end I want my stuff to be safe and am willing to pay for some sense of peace of mind.

Any thoughts are appreciated

cbus11

I toyed with DIY autodialer ones at one point, but never really felt they were ready for prime time.

I would get the least expensive monitored service you can find at least until you get familiar with the area and get to know your neighbors. After you have lived there for a little while you will have a better understanding of the level of service you need.

I think that the $25 – 30 dollar per month varieties require you to have a phone landline, so you have to figure that cost into the mix. I think that is why the cellular ones are popular (and no lines to cut).

Most insurance policies will offer a discount if you have a monitored alarm.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbus11 said:
    I think that the $25 – 30 dollar per month varieties require you to have a phone landline, so you have to figure that cost into the mix. I think that is why the cellular ones are popular (and no lines to cut.

The one we have does not require a home phone line (we didn’t want one). It uses a digital cellular transmitter box to transmit data.

http://www.homesalarm.com/adt_home_security/do-i-need-land-line-for-adt.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I recently got a system with Devcon Security. It’s wireless and seems very nice, can use my iPhone to turn on/off and check status from anywhere, etc. It’s $40/mo. I was able to get the equipment and install for free.

labi
    Participant

We have 2 monitored ADT systems – the one in the house uses a land line and costs about $35/month, and the one in the rental uses a cell line and is about $45/month. Purchase & installation of a very minimal combo of sensors would have been free, but in both cases we purchased a few extra items for more thorough coverage. Considering all the other ways one can piss away $30-40/month, it seems like a totally reasonable expense for a little additional peace of mind – well worth finding room for even in a tight budget.

You don’t say whether you’ll be renting or buying, but if you’re renting, you could ask the landlord whether they might be willing to cover at least the install costs. As landlords, we considered it the responsible thing to do to install the security system and include the monitoring costs in the rent, especially for younger tenants or those who might not have a lot of experience living in urban neighborhoods.

If you’re buying, having a monitored system will get you a discount on your property insurance that offsets at least a little bit of the cost of the system.

P.S. Welcome to WP!

leftovers

From one who has tried it, the fake ADT signs alone where not enough to deter a break in at my last apartment.

One thing you have to look at when comparing systems is the length of the contract they are committing you to as it seems to vary between services.

This is a small side note, but there is also a $35 two year alarm permit one must obtain from the city. Most alarm companies roll this into your costs, some don’t.

http://publicsafety.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=34956

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Alarm Force is $30 and change going through my cell, no land line. Land line would drop the price to $25 and change. Very happy with their service. The install package is 2 doors, a motion and the keypad – all wireless. If you ever move, take the system, change the address and they will reinstall.

mrpoppinzs

Is it common for landlords to set up security systems for their tenants in this area (WP)? From wandering around it does not appear that most rentals have ADT or the like, I could be wrong.

bucki12

Thanks everyone!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrpoppinzs said:
    Is it common for landlords to set up security systems for their tenants in this area (WP)? From wandering around it does not appear that most rentals have ADT or the like, I could be wrong.

I can’t speak for Weinland Park specifically, but a lot of rentals I’ve lived in have had home security systems installed either by the landlord or previous tenants and it’s up to the current tenant to activate and pay for them. Kind of like having phone lines or cable lines installed and being up to the tenant to set up an account for services and pay bills on that directly.

mrpoppinzs

Walker said:
    I can’t speak for Weinland Park specifically, but a lot of rentals I’ve lived in have had home security systems installed either by the landlord or previous tenants and it’s up to the current tenant to activate and pay for them. Kind of like having phone lines or cable lines installed and being up to the tenant to set up an account for services and pay bills on that directly.

That makes sense, Thanks Walker

Mister Shifter
    Participant

The home I’m having built right now has an ADT system, but I can’t decide if I want to fork over the $30-$40 per month for it once I move in.

donelel

I have a Frontpoint security system and their monitoring service is the best for me. i already tried ADT but this one is much better. Not as expensive as ADT but has Very good reviews and is GE wireless. Not like ADT that will make you sign for a 2-5 year contract and frontpoints equipment is open lined to any security service. I have an iphone and i can literally see my house with it. As what you described yourself a can tell that this one will suit you.
    I’m leaving you their site for you to browse and see for yourself their services equipment and payment or if you have any inquires or questions yourself.
    Frontpoint Secuurity System

Tatsui

Check out suretyCAM. They’re a local company that installs primarily 2GIG security systems along with Alarm.com. They’re prices are pretty reasonable and the monthly monitoring is pretty cheap. I need to look at my billing statement again, but I’m pretty sure I’m paying $29.95 a month for a GSM (cellular) system.

ryan.boder

bucki12 said:

I am also a cheap bastard.

So am I. ;)

The last option is the monitored ones. Which is where people are steering me. Is there a system that people tend to like, especially in the lower price ranges? One of my friends swears by ADT’s cellular one – but I think that costs $60 a month.

If you’re willing to install it yourself you can get Alarm.com at a really low price. Try our website:

http://suretycam.com/do-it-yourself-security-alarm-and-home-automation-store/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: