Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Alana's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Alana’s

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

After reading (the beginning of) this thread, we decided to go try Alana’s especially while they still had the 3 courses for $25 special.

Oh. My. Gawd. It was great. I never order pasta in restaurants because I always think, “I can make this at home. Why order it out?” But my partner ordered the whole wheat penne with scallops, shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes and so on and it was AMAZING. By far the best pasta of my life.

I’d also add that the portions were generous. Our starter salads were quite large (and delicious). The dessert that came was amazing — a rhubarb and strawberry cupcake with strawberry buttercream frosting, a scoop of strawberry ice cream with fresh strawberries and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. It may seem simple, but this was a cupcake like no other. Our favorite restaurant so far in Columbus had been Bayleaf, and this is definitely there as well. One of the best meals of my life, and we travel (and eat) a lot.

Much thanks, CU, for the recommendation!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you’re a fan of Alana’s, then you’ll probably want to read this:

In the Kitchen with Chef Alana Shock

Mercurius
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Jon Christensen is a hack.

Update — Jon Christensen is still a jackwagon blowhard.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/food/2011/09/29/tried-and-truly-good.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’m so SO over black creek bistro and their tired ass menu.

Mercurius
    Participant

Snarf said:

I like Kent – it’s good food and I go often, but there is no way Black Creek and Spagio are better than Basi or Alana’s any night of the week.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I like Kent and Black Creek very much as well, but yeah, how is Basi not on this list? And I know it’s casual, but Skillet should really be considered as well.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I just wish they would change it up from time to time. It’s good enough food, but it’s literally been the same for years!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Both Basi & Alana are on the most recent CU Top 10 List (decided by popular vote):

Best Restaurant of 2010 – Alana’s

Speaking of which, voting will be coming up again soon in November. ;)

Bear
    Participant

Walker said:
    Both Basi & Alana are on the most recent CU Top 10 List (decided by popular vote):

Best Restaurant of 2010 – Alana’s

And Crave’s.

joev
    Participant

Snarf said:

I love BC Bistro – but that same duck gnocchi has been on their menu every day for 1,632 years.

Alana’s shouldn’t be on any top 10 list, imho.
    The reality of the experience vs how good I keep hearing it is, is stark.

People seem to fawn over it because the restaurant and Alana herself are quirky and ‘she combines flavors in new and interesting ways’; my kids match that description as well but it doesn’t mean they are one of the best chefs in this city.

Apparent Jon Christensen hate aside, he was correct to exclude Alana’s.

DavidF
    Participant

redfish-bluefish said:
    Alana’s shouldn’t be on any top 10 list, imho.
    The reality of the experience vs how good I keep hearing it is, is stark.

People seem to fawn over it because the restaurant and Alana herself are quirky and ‘she combines flavors in new and interesting ways’; my kids match that description as well but it doesn’t mean they are one of the best chefs in this city.

Apparent Jon Christensen hate aside, he was correct to exclude Alana’s.

Or. You are simply, totally, wrong.

DavidF said:
    Or. You are simply, totally, wrong.

must not let the glove go unanswered…

simply and totally? OR merely and absolutely? OR plainly and positively?, ad nauseam.

in my opinion vs your absolute, apparently. must be nice to have simple and total certainty as an umbrella.

as far as your statement to my assessment goes; i disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion of the venue in question. :P

Anonymous
    Inactive

Everyplace makes mistakes. Please tell us what is wrong with Alana’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.