Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Alana's

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Alana’s

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

Yeah I am disappointed about that being on Saturday. I got REALLY excited when I noticed that flyer. Retail.

NitaW

Tigertree wrote >>
    My wife and I ate at Alana’s last night.

What did you have? They have a difficult time in keeping their menu updated online and I noticed earlier this week that it hadn’t been updated since early April.

Bear
    Participant

will91 wrote >>
    They have a difficult time in keeping their menu updated online and I noticed earlier this week that it hadn’t been updated since early April.

:-) You’re assuming they try!

That’s really just meant as a sample menu. The menu changes every night.

Tigertree

I had this: Duck Confit and Foie Gras Salami with Spaghetti and Beer Braised Lettuces
    and Niki had the salmon. The salmon was the best salmon I had ever tasted and I don’t even know how to describe how good mine was. I, honestly, haven’t had a food experience like that in a long time.

Roland
    Participant

Awesome Tigertree! I haven’t had a foodgasm like that since the Slow Food Event at Rosendale’s last year. There was a Duck Breast Fricassee that was “transcendent” as Drew likes to say :)

I need to visit Alana again soon.

sjf

Bear wrote >>

will91 wrote >>
    They have a difficult time in keeping their menu updated online and I noticed earlier this week that it hadn’t been updated since early April.

:-) You’re assuming they try!
    That’s really just meant as a sample menu. The menu changes every night.

That’s been the one real thing stopping me from trying Alana’s–I don’t like the ever-changing menu. I have a phobia about going to a place and not liking anything on the menu. I’m not overly adventurous in trying new things.

Bear
    Participant

sjf wrote >>
    That’s been the one real thing stopping me from trying Alana’s–I don’t like the ever-changing menu. I have a phobia about going to a place and not liking anything on the menu. I’m not overly adventurous in trying new things.

Well, it’s not totally random. I think there’s usually a pasta dish, and there’s usually a higher-end steak dish of some sort… there’s some structure. And if you go there often, you’ll see some dishes make repeat appearances, often in somewhat modified form. It’s not like you order a plate o’ chaos every time you sit down at the table, that’s not what I intended to convey.

sjf

I dunno, a plate of chaos is the most exciting dish I’ve heard about in awhile. Thanks for the clarification.

enzo
    Participant

I have always gone with friends to Alana’s—-I think it is the best ever for meaty meaters and veg heads/

NitaW

Alana is so dedicated to using seasonal ingredients, which I love. I like to have some idea, though, of what’s on her mind before I stop by.

I still dream of a marigold-fed chicken dish that I had there a few years ago…

TaraK
    Participant

Does anyone know if this “three courses for $25” deal is still going on? On their website it seems to be listed as an April special.

duttonkj

It’s still going. Just took advantage of it Saturday. I had dal, asian braised ribs and fried rice, fantastic dessert, and a couple of glasses of watermelon lemonade. I think they like you to get there as close to 5 as possible.

turbo ninja
    Participant

We went for a friend’s birthday last week. I had the minted-pea risotto with chicken. I normally don’t bother ordering chicken at a restaurant but I figured Alana would do it in a way I could never (easily) re-create at home PLUS the risotto is always perfect.

In hindsight, I preferred my wife’s salmon dish. The chicken risotto was tasty but the salmon was really remarkable.

We sat on the front patio, which can seem a little seedy due to the construction and student-ghetto view but our server kept everything organized and classy. He also shared a PROTIP about wine: If in doubt, choose the heavier bottle. Vintners don’t waste good glass on cheap wine.

I got the hot chocolate pecan pie for dessert, but it didn’t taste particularly “hot.” I was hoping for some peppery kick, but maybe they just meant it was served warm. That’s what I get for not asking questions, I suppose. Alas. Somehow I still suffered through and managed to finish the entire portion.

By the end of the evening the Indian place next door seemed to be setting up for a dance party. We were bracing for Alana to come out and holler at them but it must’ve been close enough to the end of the night for her to let it slide.

Bear
    Participant

We went late last week. I had an Amish chicken breast over a cassoulet of spring peas and beans (actually, I think they were marrow peas) in chicken stock.

Mother of Jesus, was it good. It was like someone had taken springtime and distilled its essence down into that crock and served it to me. The peas actually remained firm, despite being cooked through, and tasted like they’d just been picked, and the chicken was succulent and flavorful. It just about took my breath away.

turbo ninja wrote He also shared a PROTIP about wine: If in doubt, choose the heavier bottle. Vintners don’t waste good glass on cheap wine..

Well, he was a pro about getting a tip from you …

That is pure malarkey. Some of the most ostentatious producers who want to differentiate their product in crowded fields of sameness like California Cabernet will do this. There is no correlation between the bottle and the wine.

This was just too far out of reality to pass with out comment.

A.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.