Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Airport-Downtown Rail Line Proposed

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Airport-Downtown Rail Line Proposed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 192 total)
  • Author

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I see that it does serve our citizens. On top of all the travellers Walker mentioned, you have thousands of citizens who work within the vicinity of Port Columbus.

It is difficult for me to imagine people walking to the airport to hop on the train to get downtown for work in the morning. I guess a park and ride could be feasible, but I bet COTA’s ridership from neighborhoods adjacent to the airport to downtown are not staggering.

It is so painfully obvious this is a plug for the political convention. The line wouldn’t even cross our highest density neighborhoods or any major retail centers.

geoyui
    Participant

honestlyinsincere said:
    It is so painfully obvious this is a plug for the political convention. The line wouldn’t even cross our highest density neighborhoods or any major retail centers.

Salt Lake City built theirs for the Olympics, and since then I’ve heard their rail has been growing.

Considering the slogan for Port Columbus use to be “Where Plane and Train Meet” I think it is a good place to start. I would think it would be feasible considering we already did it once. I always find it interesting that we want what we already had in the past. Here is something of interest we uploaded sort of recently.
    Train/air history at Port Columbus:
    Article and aerial photo
    Pamphlet
    Background of service
    TAT Flyer
    Train station at Port Columbus
    Train and plane schedule
    Inaugural Flight

J.Benner
    Participant

In the meantime Car2Go could (should) establish some parking spaces at the airport in a similar fashion as they are doing at Easton for a quick fix for the lack of alternative transportation to and from the airport for those living in the central city areas.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Salt Lake City built theirs for the Olympics, and since then I’ve heard their rail has been growing.

Good point, I see your connection to using a large event as the impetus for transit development. There’s just something pulling at me that wants to have transit serve our most densely populated areas and focus on shifting the one-occupancy vehicle communter culture.

pez
    Participant

Great, now the mayor is proposing to commit more public taxpayer dollars to allow the billion dollar downtown corporations to save a few dollars on rental cars for their visiting employees ; )

mbeaumont
    Participant

This is a start of something. It does not have to be the most ideal route, it has to be the most feasible route. Once a line is in place, other lines become less of a fantasy. This is a great gateway drug route that every citizen has the potential to use at some point. I need to read/hear more, but this seems like a good first step.

mbeaumont
    Participant

pez said:
    Great, now the mayor is proposing to commit more public taxpayer dollars to allow the billion dollar downtown corporations to save a few dollars on rental cars for their visiting employees ; )

We are the last major city in the country to get behind subsidized corporate rail shuttles. You’ve cracked it.

pez
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    We are the last major city in the country to get behind subsidized corporate rail shuttles. You’ve cracked it.

As much as I don’t really care about the dollars going into this, provided it’s spent well, I think we’d be better off supplementing one of the existing inbound commute corridors for residents to ride. Maybe it’s Easton/161 with an airport connector or a loop that reaches down there with a terminus at a COTA terminal, like Orlando has.

rus
    rus
    Participant

pez said:

Well played ;)

bjones7
    Participant

honestlyinsincere said:
    Isn’t the fact that COTA can’t even fill a bus to go from Downtown to the Airport and back a clue that a rail line would be misplaced investment? Are the people just going to come out of the woodwork to ride this rail line? The transit should go where the people are. We should focus on commuter transit investment before this type of project.

AMEN about Commuter Rail. I still don’t understand why Columbus hasn’t looked into Commuter Rail over LightRail,Tram & StreetCar?!?! It’s not like they will make a state route 23 byway anytime soon. We really need a Commuter Train from Marion to Delaware to Polaris and 2-4 more stops in Columbus. BUT NOOOO! Let’s purpose something that has no true meaning.

Now getting back on the Thread. The Mayor would have better luck getting COTA to have an all-day express service from Downtown to Columbus. Even better chance, a Commuter Rail from New Albany, Gahanna,Port Columbus to Downtown.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    AMEN about Commuter Rail. I still don’t understand why Columbus hasn’t looked into Commuter Rail over LightRail,Tram & StreetCar?!?! It’s not like they will make a state route 23 byway anytime soon. We really need a Commuter Train from Marion to Delaware to Polaris and 2-4 more stops in Columbus. BUT NOOOO! Let’s purpose something that has no true meaning.

Now getting back on the Thread. The Mayor would have better luck getting COTA to have an all-day express service from Downtown to Columbus. Even better chance, a Commuter Rail from New Albany, Gahanna,Port Columbus to Downtown.

I’m also thinking BRT from Airport…one every 15 minutes or so. With raised platforms and a sleek design, maybe we could even fool some out-of-towners into thinking its a train (until it drives away…). So much cheaper than rail, still has permanent infrastructure, and has proven successful in Cleveland!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bjones7 said:
    I still don’t understand why Columbus hasn’t looked into Commuter Rail.

We really need a Commuter Train from Marion to Delaware to Polaris and 2-4 more stops in Columbus.

Would Columbus be required to foot the entire bill for something like that, or would Marion, Delaware and a dozen other municipalities along the way pitch in? I think Marion would have a lot more to gain from that than Columbus.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

I think a commuter rail should be funded by the metropolitan region, but I suppose we’d really have to nail down the definition of commuter rail. Once the line gets from Marion into Columbus, would it stop in the city? Say, it stops at Dublin & I-270, I-71 & 270, then once heading down I-71 how often would it stop? I’m under the impression that commuter rail is a little heavier than “light” rail…but not “heavy”? Any experts?

I think it is important to know the frequency and location of stops in order to determine where bulk of funding should come from. If the line is simply bringing people to the jobs center and not moving the citizens of Columbus around our fair city, then we should not have to foot ALL of the bill. Surely some of it, but not all.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

bjones7 said:

The feasibility of that happening, is next to none without a “pilot” project of some sorts. Yes, not everyone will use it everyday, but neither does every road, every intersection, every traffic light get used by every single person.

I think the main reason that the Mayor said all of this is the plant the idea of rail, whether it be light, commuter, or heavy, into the minds of the general public. I feel that if we do not seize this opportunity, it will be a greatly missed one to show the public and private aspects that if this small, short, line can work, larger commuter, heavy and light rail/BRT/street cars, can work too.

You have to start small, not distancing 50+ miles to connect downtown with the burbs. Then we get people complaining even more about the money being spent on the rail projects.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 192 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: