Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Airline ticket specials/promo codes/deals

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Airline ticket specials/promo codes/deals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

@Geoyui – yeah, Farecast is good stuff. It’s usually pretty accurate for heavily traveled routes.

Also, a few other things to throw in here that just came to mind.

The best credit card for milage awards is the Chase Sapphire card. If you have a business, the Chase Ink Plus card is the best.

For some serious travel hacking, check out the FlyerTalk[/url] forums. The blog Million Mile Secrets [/url]is also good for more travel hacking.

Ohh, and a last one, though not as sexy as the other stuff, Evernote is probably the best tool for organizing everything travel related. I save all my destination research that I do on my laptop there, and it shows up on my phone (in the app). It’s also good for checklists, photographing stuff, keeping destination info in the local language to show taxis, etc..

I usually create a notebook in Evernote for the destination (ex., Sri Lanka), and then sub-notebooks for accommodations, where to eat, things I need, etc., within that main notebook.

geoyui
    Participant

@jonmyers – I’m trying out flightfox for a flight out to SFO and I’m liking the concept. I can see how this is really best used for long, international flights. The options presented to me are all prices I’ve found. But I like how I can comment and exchange my preferences with each “travel expert”.

pez
    Participant

geoyui said:
    I’m going into a credit card miles hoarding mode right now. The southwest card may be my next one.

Southwest changed their redemption from 1 credit/$1200 charged, 16 credits for a round trip to a variable points redemption, so the plan isn’t very good anymore. The only reason I keep it is that its an old line of credit with no limit and a few companies still don’t accept AmEx. Southwest is still my favorite airline, and it was an awesome deal a couple years ago, but I wouldn’t sign up again now with the new rules unless you fly SWA a lot.

If you have a legacy carrier that you use often, I’d go with their card. The benefits (free bags, early boarding, companion passes, lounge passes) can be worth as much as the miles. Regardless of the frequent flyer program you use, sign up for their ‘dining for miles’ program which is run by Rewards Network/Idine, the mileage awards are much better than the 1 point/dollar you typically get and you only need to charge the meal to a registered card.

Roland
    Participant

Thanks for sharing all the good tips. Don’t forget to take advantage of dining programs to earn airline miles. These bonuses are on top of whatever your credit cards are giving you.

I think there is one company out there that manages all the dining reward programs, you can’t enroll your CC at more than one program at a time. Delta offers it. So does American Airlines. Probably others too.

I miss travelling without two toddlers. :)
    – That Guy

geoyui
    Participant

Looks like AirTran is having a 72 hour sale. $50 one way to ATL.

All fares are one-way, no roundtrip required.

Sale fares between Columbus and:

Atlanta
    $49

Austin
    $140

Ft. Lauderdale
    $99

Ft. Myers
    $99

Houston (Hobby)
    $110

Jacksonville
    $110

Los Angeles (LAX)
    $160

Memphis
    $110

New Orleans
    $110

New York (LaGuardia)
    $110

Orlando
    $99

Pensacola/Gulf Coast
    $110

Raleigh/Durham
    $110

San Antonio
    $140

Tampa
    $99

Washington, D.C. (Reagan National)
    $110

West Palm Beach
    $110

geoyui
    Participant

Forgot that when AirTran has a sale, Southwest will as well, to different destinations.

geoyui
    Participant

You could get a 10% promo code on American Airlines by playing “Planes” Disney game.[/url]

There are only 100,000 of these codes to go around, and I know some travel junkies will be trying to “stock up” on these one-time use codes, so don’t wait if you want one. It seems you aren’t guaranteed to get one every time, but I did on the first try.

◦Book by August 31st
    ◦For travel from August 15th – November 15th
    ◦Blackout dates of August 31st and September 2nd (so will not work on Labor Day weekend basically)
    ◦Depart from the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands to anywhere with American service (must be on American or American Eagle. No codeshares)
    ◦Up to 2 passengers per reservation.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: