Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Airline ticket specials/promo codes/deals

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Airline ticket specials/promo codes/deals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

With airlines merging, prices rising and the number of seats/planes/routes decreasing, thought maybe there could a place where you post any airfare specials or promo codes you receive from airlines via social media. I’ll be flying a bunch this year, so I’m hoping I’ll get lucky and find a deal or two.

geoyui
    Participant

jmiller10
    Participant

Southwest is always great for cheap flights. I frequently travel to and from Chicago and its cheaper and easier for me to fly. Sign up for their emails because they have sales and deals almost weekly. They also have 1 free checked bag, and seriously the best customer service ever!

geoyui
    Participant

Southwest Valentine’s day sale

$49, $89, $119, $149 one way. I think you need to book by tomorrow.

kmg67
    Participant

Get the Southwest visa card and you’ll rack up points rapidly. Probably one of the most generous loyalty programs out there.

bjones7
    Participant

The best air fare deals I’ve ever found have been from kayak. Not only because they compare 100’s of fares but because of the options they give you. You can see if nearby airports to CMH or your detestation will be cheaper and on the exact date or -+1, -+2 days. Most of the cheap fairs are via the airline so you can add promo’s and air miles ON TOP of the already cheap fare.

geoyui
    Participant

kmg67 said:
    Get the Southwest visa card and you’ll rack up points rapidly. Probably one of the most generous loyalty programs out there.

I’m going into a credit card miles hoarding mode right now. The southwest card may be my next one.

geoyui
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    The best air fare deals I’ve ever found have been from kayak. Not only because they compare 100’s of fares but because of the options they give you. You can see if nearby airports to CMH or your detestation will be cheaper and on the exact date or -+1, -+2 days. Most of the cheap fairs are via the airline so you can add promo’s and air miles ON TOP of the already cheap fare.

Love this commercial

geoyui
    Participant

Saw this on Port Columbus facebook for $16 one way fares!

Sweet $16 FlyFrontier 1-way fare deal for OH fans from Port Columbus (CMH) to Trenton,NJ (TTN) http://ow.ly/jp8td Book at FlyFrontier.com by 11:59ET March 30 for domestic travel April 8 through May 22, 2013. Details in this Frontier press release

Here’s the deal on Frontier.

ehill27
    Participant

Just a warning… Trenton is losing its air traffic control tower due to the sequester. Apparently, Frontier will continue to land whenever possible, but may need to divert to other airports in bad weather:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/faa_confirms_tower_at_mercer_w.html

Not sure where they might divert to, but apparently Atlantic City will retain it’s tower. Phili may be a possibility, but I wonder if large airports would be able to accomodate last minute diversions.

Cbusflyer

I am an airline pilot and to clarify a few things. The procedure of landing in Trenton is the same with a tower or without. The tower provides services such as taxi and landing instructions but pilots can land and taxi without a tower to instruct them. Enroute air traffic control will work the flight until reaching the airport and then the pilots will talk to other pilots to make sure they are not landing at the same time. Diversion airports are predetermined before the flight and the tower being closed will not affect the flight. There are many airports across the country that have commercial flights and no tower or they close by the time the flight arrives. Most likely Philly would be the diversion airport, but it depends on the weather.

geoyui
    Participant

^thanks for the clarification Cbusflyer!

JonMyers
    Participant

I just used FlightFox and got a flight for about $200 less than the lowest published fare I found on the usual places I search.

The site allows you to hold a contest where experts compete to find you the lowest fare.

It works best for more unusual or longer haul routes. The flight I just scored was for Edmonton, Alberta to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. One way was $595 bucks.

The other sites I use the most for finding cheap flights are SkyScanner and Airfare Watchdog. Sky Scanner is the best meta-search engine and searches for the most routes with the most airlines. Both sites allow you to set up email alerts.

I also use Hipmunk once I get a feel for pricing. They have an “agony rating” that identifies the best balance of price and times.

For playing around with domestic travel dates and prices Google actually has the best and fastest interface. It’s just Google.com/Flights

A few other travel asides.

For longer haul flights, I never do advanced online check in.

Exit row seats are only assigned at the airport. I get there early and take my chances. Seat Guru is awesome, and helps you identify the best seat before you get to the airport. Keep in mind – not all exit rows are equal, and aren’t always worth it. On larger planes the second set of exit rows are usually better.

For managing your electronic travel documents and details TripIt is good stuff. You just forward your flight confirmation and TripIt does the rest.

geoyui
    Participant

JonMyers said:
    I just used FlightFox and got a flight for about $200 less than the lowest published fare I found on the usual places I search.

The site allows you to hold a contest where experts compete to find you the lowest fare.

It works best for more unusual or longer haul routes. The flight I just scored was for Edmonton, Alberta to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. One way was $595 bucks.

The other sites I use the most for finding cheap flights are SkyScanner and Airfare Watchdog. Sky Scanner is the best meta-search engine and searches for the most routes with the most airlines. Both sites allow you to set up email alerts.

I also use Hipmunk once I get a feel for pricing. They have an “agony rating” that identifies the best balance of price and times.

For playing around with domestic travel dates and prices Google actually has the best and fastest interface. It’s just Google.com/Flights

A few other travel asides.

For longer haul flights, I never do advanced online check in.

Exit row seats are only assigned at the airport. I get there early and take my chances. Seat Guru is awesome, and helps you identify the best seat before you get to the airport. Keep in mind – not all exit rows are equal, and aren’t always worth it. On larger planes the second set of exit rows are usually better.

For managing your electronic travel documents and details TripIt is good stuff. You just forward your flight confirmation and TripIt does the rest.

thanks for all the links. I’ll definitely look into Flightfox. Completely love tripit. I send my car rental, hotel and air itineraries to it and tripit organizes them all beautifully.

geoyui
    Participant

I sometimes use farecast[/url] to try and see the pricing history of a ticket and to see the likelihood that the price will go up or down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: