Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

AirBNB have you hosted?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A AirBNB have you hosted?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I didn’t find a thread like this but I read people talking about it in the DNC thread. Who has used AirBnB as a host and not as a guest? I have a extra room in Harrison West and was thinking about listing it. But I don’t know anyone who has used this service before.

any stories? Thoughts?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I didn’t find a thread like this but I read people talking about it in the DNC thread. Who has used AirBnB as a host and not as a guest? I have a extra room in Harrison West and was thinking about listing it. But I don’t know anyone who has used this service before.

any stories? Thoughts?

Great program! I’ve been hosting for about a year… plenty of entertaining stories, met some incredible people, etc. The biggest word of warning is to watch out for the older generations who might not fully understand that airbnb isn’t the traditional bed & breakfast. I’m not about to put an apron on at 8am everyday to make them breakfast although I do provide a homemade “Breakfast Guide” for the neighborhood.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I have stayed many times and did hosted for awhile. I’m considering hosting with again now that I have a guest room. I would eco Josh… I’ve had many many good experiences and one or two bad ones.

Bad staying occurred in France because the apartment owner was not supposed to host and had an angry neighbor. Bad hosting occurred because I had a guest who’s expectations were not commiserate with the AirBNB experience.

I’ve also made lifelong friends from staying, and continue to utilize AirBNB.

barba1mn
    barba1mn
    Participant

I concur with Josh Miller. I have been hosting in since 2012, 95% great experiences and interesting people. Poor experiences occurred with older generations who seemed more entitled to the fact that they are the customer where as people 40 and younger seem to understand that they are sharing your home and they are a guest.

Also I have had a few guests that did not speak English very well or at all and that clearly made difficult for communication as most users to Airbnb still remain new to the site and you need to walk them through the process. But if you take the time to do this it will benefit everyone in the Airbnb community. You will make the guest and yourself feel more comfortable and they will be more likely to repeat their use with the service.

A suggestion is that you provide as much detail on you place as possible on your listing so that you do not end up answering the same questions over and over.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Great insight guys thanks. Is there a way to search your neighborhood for who else is offering rooms so you can see the average rates? As far as I can tell you can only search if you put in dates of stay, not just area you are looking to go to?

Also, in your experiences, how long has the average guest stayed?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Great insight guys thanks. Is there a way to search your neighborhood for who else is offering rooms so you can see the average rates? As far as I can tell you can only search if you put in dates of stay, not just area you are looking to go to?

Also, in your experiences, how long has the average guest stayed?

You can bypass the date portion by just clicking enter when the UI tries to get you to add a date. Re pricing… I adjust seasonally, weekend vs weekday, and based on length of stay. During the late spring and summer it was so hectic I had to make sure I blocked out dates if I didn’t want any guests. Length of stay can also be customized using the minimum night settings. Average stay can vary depending on how you want to operate, tons of variables can go into that calculation.

barba1mn
    barba1mn
    Participant

I reside close to OSU campus as well and get quite a few OSU related stays. I would say 1/3 roughly. Those tend to be longer as people are in town working for a week/ a long weekend for a conference. We have had stays as short as 1 night and as long as four months(exchange student from Germany). Most stays probably average 1-3 days. While I have enjoyed meeting very interesting people I must say that since most people are coming into town for something other than to stay at your home :) we have had many guests that we have barley seen because they are busy and out late. Honestly it feels like we are getting paid to just clean our house most weeks :)

melanieharvey
    Participant

I started hosting in February after a roommate moved out, and I was thinking no way anyone’s going to want to stay here– I live in North Linden, around DeSales high school and we only have one full bathroom– but what the heck, I’ll throw some pics on the site of one bedroom and see what happens.

I’m now renting out *both* bedrooms because someone asked about the one between the time I posted it and the guy got it re-booked for the month, so I just tossed up the second mostly unfurnished bedroom, which I have made a little better since then! And I’m pretty much booked for both through the end of September. I had to block out one so when my kid came home on leave from the Navy he would have a place to sleep!

I did well right from the start even with only one review from being a guest, because my monthly rent is cheaper than anyone in the city. I discovered this by looking for a place for a month in Columbus myself– as if I were renting here. It’s still plenty though! Plus this way I get long term people, several months, instead of overnighters. Which is actually a lot less work for me. I’m raising my overnight rent but keeping my monthly steady I think.

I have contract workers for the hospitals who are on several month contracts right now, for the summer I have two college student interns, one for the zoo and one doing OT fieldwork, and I also have a doctor coming from Brazil who’s studying for a month at Children’s. That should be interesting. :) Oh and a guy from Buffalo who’s coming to Rock on the Range. :) He’s the only overnighter I’ve had.

I’ve mostly loved it. Last weekend I came home from a wedding (twice my renter has fed my dogs so I could not worry about them because of weddings!) and he was watching boxing and hanging out with the dogs :). I did not know boxing was back on regular television and I learned a lot from him about that too!

They have low expectations–not like the roommates who have wanted to redecorate my house, sigh… So I’ve enjoyed this a lot. Students for the summer are absolutely thrilled. Their parents seem to be happier to have them stay with someone more responsible. It’s a lot more like having house guests.

I spent my first week’s rent on more sheets and towels, another week on some more furniture, not much though, and it’s been good. I haven’t had many problems, just little hiccups that were straightened out with communication. My dogs like the attention. I’m happy with this. I agree with the other host– write up as much detail as possible. And for heaven’s sake, post if you have animals or not, and a picture of them. Somebody in Argentina I think got bit by a dog and sued everyone. I keep my one dog who is more aggressive and more untrustworthy with strangers (read: My watchdog) locked in my bedroom with me at night. I don’t want her forgetting this is a friendly person in the middle of the night.

The reason I have these extra rooms is because the other two kids have moved out… So this is essentially: How to earn your kids’ college tuition by just slightly raising your water bill! :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow, that’s awesome! :D

RedStorm
    Participant

Jumping into this after using airbnb on a recent Europe trip, and I can’t find much comparable to my place in Columbus (location, size, # of guests I can accommodate, etc.). I guess I will have to see where the right price point is, but after two quick hits in the first few hours for the next two OSU home games, I think I started too low (at least for Ohio State game weekends).

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

No but I’ve seen people get pretty ceative. I saw a tent in a yard for rent on there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: