Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Affordable Housing Development Proposed at Long & Front Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Affordable Housing Development Proposed at Long & Front Downtown

This topic contains 31 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by _calebross _calebross 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

As someone who is used to living in hotels while traveling during the week this actually sounds like the perfect amount of space for me right now.

At this point in my life I couldn’t currently say the same, but I can think back to times when it would’ve been ideal for me. I like the idea of micro-apartments, and suspect they could be useful for drawing young tech and entrepreneurship minded people to the city.

Side tangent: TV, stereo, CDs, videotapes, books, bookcases. This stuff used to fill a room, and now it fills a laptop. If you’re living alone, it’s amazing how much less space you need now as compared to 20 years ago. In some ways it almost seems sad, but that’s probably just a gen-x’ers sentimentality talking.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The only thing these apartments render particularly difficult for a single resident is the ability to have parties.

Everything else is there. I suspect these will confound older people in how successful they will be.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

The only thing these apartments render particularly difficult for a single resident is the ability to have parties.

Everything else is there. I suspect these will confound older people in how successful they will be.

When you live above or next to a bar or restaurant you just move the party downstairs. When I moved into a studio in the SN my parents couldn’t get it until they visited and realized that when you’re in a very urban location the city becomes much more of an extension of your home.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I love that–“the city becomes an extension of your home.”

jtwill84
    Participant

Realistically, how are these “micro apartments” any different from “efficiencies”? Sounds to me like they’re just giving efficiencies a fancier-sounding name in an effort to make them sound more desirable/interesting.

joev
    Participant

I like the idea of micro-apartments, and suspect they could be useful for drawing young tech and entrepreneurship minded people to the city.

Or teachers, firefighters, retail workers? You know, the people who are not paid particularly well, but are vital to a functioning city.

jbaker544
    jbaker544
    Participant

Lets ask the good people of Old Town East, what “affordable” housing did to their neighborhood. 20 years later and we see boarded up buildings, ugly run down apartment buildings just to mention a few. That neighborhood in certain parts is still struggling to recover. All I am is saying, is I don’t want to see this happen again, especially in a neighborhood where I own property. I am all for “affordable” housing and the people who need it, if it is done properly. As we can still see from parts of the city, this hasn’t work in the past when it wasn’t properly done.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds to me like they’re just giving efficiencies a fancier-sounding name in an effort to make them sound more desirable/interesting.

Welcome to marketing. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Side tangent: TV, stereo, CDs, videotapes, books, bookcases. This stuff used to fill a room, and now it fills a laptop.

Laptop? Don’t you mean phone? Laptops are for OLD PEOPLE. ;)

Sent from my MacBook.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Hadn’t seen the rendering yet – so impressed! Really hope this comes to fruition, what a huge improvement. Between this, the new parking garage, and eventually the new city admin building at the SW corner, Long & Front is really in for a makeover!

Pro Se
    Participant

Not to mention the nearby Atlas rehab, upcoming Madisons rehab, Gay and High buildings rehab (both corners), new Edwards buildings on the vacant lots and the eventual rehab by a private developer of the Beacon building once the new city services building is completed. That area will become quite the destination.

Pro Se
    Participant

Looks like things are getting underway. Long is fenced off and there is a crane.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Looks like things are getting underway. Long is fenced off and there is a crane.

Interesting, I was hoping it would still move forward even though they missed out on the state credits.

whitw417
    Participant

Has anyone heard anything new on this development?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.