Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Electricity Rates - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio Electricity Rates – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

joev said:
    They should raise rates by 31% when they reduce pollution by 31%.

I really think Morris is a pretty good actor:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/heat/etc/ceos.html

The real problem is that the EPA and Congress won’t tell AEP how CO2, SOX and NOX are going to be regulated. AEP is currently arguing for a cap and trade proposal that includes being able to buy forested lands. Like any corporation, AEP is going to argue to maximize its profits for their shareholders – but they’ve been good actors in the debate and Morris has had the foresight to know tighter environmental controls are coming. It really does come down to state regulators, like PUCO and the Consumers Counsel, to allow rate increases for environmental investment. Utilities get a fix return on the amount they invest – so it’s in their interest to invest in pollution control if the PUCO will approve the rate increases.

Tenzo
    Participant

How is this different than the CEO’s, Chair persons, President, etc of any major corporation?

Unlike other major companies, regulated utilities are constantly audited to make sure they do not make to much. Plus, they may not raise their rates without approval.

Comparing regulated utility companies to ‘big oil’ makes no sense.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    Still, by far, the cheapest (and dirtiest) electricity rates in the nation.

I like my ______ like I like my electricity.

News
    Participant

High temps, higher profit for AEP in 2Q
    Business First
    Date: Friday, July 29, 2011

Hot weather and gains in sales off its power grid helped American Electric Power Company Inc. more than double its second-quarter earnings.

The Columbus-based utility told investors Friday it turned a profit of $352 million, or 73 cents a share, in the quarter, up from $136 million, or 28 cents a share, last year. Revenue grew 6 percent to $3.6 billion from $3.4 billion.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/07/29/high-temps-higher-profit-for-aep-in-2q.html

johnwirtz
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I like my ______ like I like my electricity.

hookers?

expensive and dirty

rus
    rus
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    hookers?

expensive and dirty

Call girls. When they’re dead, then they’re hookers.

Static-X

Twixlen said:
    How is this different than the CEO’s, Chair persons, President, etc of any major corporation? Where is the thread railing against General Mills & cereal prices?

And like all those other companies, AEP employs a whole helluva lot of people beyond those at the very top. Tens of thousands over many states. Should they perhaps pay linemen less money? The folks who work in the call centers, getting rage-filled phone calls about power outages?

I can assure you, delivering reliable electricity to every. single. household. is a damn site more complicated than pressing oat-paste into little shapes.

I’m sorry you think that I’ve insulted either you or someone you know who works for AEP. But should I be paying twice as much for my electric bill in order to pay someones high hourly wage? One last thing, It’s sad you think that pressing oat-paste into little squares is such a menial job, compared to AEP jobs.

DonnaTate

Having worked at AEP, I can say they wouldn’t have to raise their rates if they just focused on efficiency. The people who work on the power lines spend about 15 hours a week actually working, while getting paid for 40. EVERYONE in the company knows this but nobody cares to do anything about it because their profits are guaranteed.

Twixlen
    Participant

Static-X said:
    I’m sorry you think that I’ve insulted either you or someone you know who works for AEP. But should I be paying twice as much for my electric bill in order to pay someones high hourly wage? One last thing, It’s sad you think that pressing oat-paste into little squares is such a menial job, compared to AEP jobs.

I am just curious where you think you are paying double (of what?) for your electricity? I’m just looking for your logic at railing against one particular company, over another. *Everything* is more expensive. It feels a little like you’re being Tenzo & his “GET OFF MY LAWN” since your anger is so misdirected.

And dude – where did I say that making cereal was menial? I said it wasn’t complicated – specifically in reference to the task of getting electricity to a house/business/whatnot. Because it’s not.

Basically, you’re mad that your electric bill is gonna go up – who the hell isn’t? I’m totally pissed that my favorite cereal cost $4.85 the last time I bought it. And totally pissed that the rabies shot for a pet that used to cost $35 is now in the neighborhood of $100.

And while I’m pissed that gas is always threatening $4.00/gal, and am endlessly pissed about the extreme profits that the big oil companies are making (mostly pissed about the gov’t’s roll in their riches), I also know that it’s not a stagnant market. And that if we want environmental changes, and an end to subsidies, it’s going to cost someone… that someone is us, to some extent.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

DonnaTate said:
    Having worked at AEP, I can say they wouldn’t have to raise their rates if they just focused on efficiency. The people who work on the power lines spend about 15 hours a week actually working, while getting paid for 40. EVERYONE in the company knows this but nobody cares to do anything about it because their profits are guaranteed.

Heh…sounds like union workers.

Haven’t wholesale prices across Ohio been falling recently? I would imagine this is why AEP wants a rate increase? Wholesale margins being crappy? Not that I know anything about electricity, but maybe that has something to do with it?

I do know this though. I would not worry much about those overpaid AEP employees. It is well known that AEP wants to merge with another company and AEP would be the seller. With synergies and cost cutting a lot of people will lose their jobs if a deal does occur. It has been discussed for sometime in finance circles that AEP will be bought out by Firstenergy, Dominion, or Souther. Who knows with the regulatory environment, but AEP being sold within the next 2 years is definitely not out of the picture.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

With the various fees and charges, electricity costs me about $0.13 per KWH. I used to live on St. Thomas. Electricity there costs about $0.42 per KWH. Very few people there have whole house A/C…just too darned expensive.

Static-X

DonnaTate said:

Amen, Donna Tate!!!!! I work downtown and see these linemen/ground linemen sitting around all day, no lie. They will have one of those yellow metal gates around a manhole, and they will sit in their panel truck most of the day. And I thought only city and state workers had that stereotype.

Crispus3000

It’s true that on a nationwide basis, Ohio pays some of the lowest electric rates in AEP territories. At this costs

So, congrats Ohioans, with the help of AEP we are FIRST at smothering ourselves to death, destroying our water supplies and condemning our children and grandchildren to misery (or they’ll just move to another state where people elect SANE politicians). We can have all the discussions we want about rates, profits, CEO pay, ….. ad nauseam. The facts laid before me (maybe some others) say that AEP is purposely poisoning the people of our state and doing it with glee. Not trying to change. Blocking change at every turn to make another cheap buck. Planning to build MORE coal fired power plants. I guess in their corporate eyes, we can have all the cheap cookies we want as long as we keep drinking the weird tasting Kool-Aid. I wonder which generation of Ohioans will set another record of being first …the record for the state with the highest rate of lung cancer. Hmmm….$10MM donation for the Scioto Mile to pay for 10,000 central Ohioans death from breathing air pollution versus implementing cleaner power production options. A bargain at twice the price/casualties!

Looking back some years, it took a river catching fire to convince Ohioans that we were polluting our rivers. We see how we are polluting our lakes. What’s it going to take for us to stop letting the electric utilities from polluting our air? The freaking atmosphere catching fire? Take heart, our elected officials are trying hard to make that happen for us.

I know air pollution causes health issues and death and don’t publicly rile against the polluters dailly.
    Shame on me.
    Most people reading this know the same thing and do the same thing..nothing.
    Shame on you.
    The electric utilities continue to put the public health at risk for gold. And use every trick in the book not to change.
    Shame on them.
    We keep electing (and the utilities keep paying) politicians hell bent on keeping the toxic air coming.
    Shame on us.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Crispus3000 said:
    It’s true that on a nationwide basis, Ohio pays some of the lowest electric rates in AEP territories. At this costs

So, congrats Ohioans, with the help of AEP we are FIRST at smothering ourselves to death, destroying our water supplies and condemning our children and grandchildren to misery (or they’ll just move to another state where people elect SANE politicians). We can have all the discussions we want about rates, profits, CEO pay, ….. ad nauseam. The facts laid before me (maybe some others) say that AEP is purposely poisoning the people of our state and doing it with glee. Not trying to change. Blocking change at every turn to make another cheap buck. Planning to build MORE coal fired power plants. I guess in their corporate eyes, we can have all the cheap cookies we want as long as we keep drinking the weird tasting Kool-Aid. I wonder which generation of Ohioans will set another record of being first …the record for the state with the highest rate of lung cancer. Hmmm….$10MM donation for the Scioto Mile to pay for 10,000 central Ohioans death from breathing air pollution versus implementing cleaner power production options. A bargain at twice the price/casualties!

Looking back some years, it took a river catching fire to convince Ohioans that we were polluting our rivers. We see how we are polluting our lakes. What’s it going to take for us to stop letting the electric utilities from polluting our air? The freaking atmosphere catching fire? Take heart, our elected officials are trying hard to make that happen for us.

I know air pollution causes health issues and death and don’t publicly rile against the polluters dailly.
    Shame on me.
    Most people reading this know the same thing and do the same thing..nothing.
    Shame on you.
    The electric utilities continue to put the public health at risk for gold. And use every trick in the book not to change.
    Shame on them.
    We keep electing (and the utilities keep paying) politicians hell bent on keeping the toxic air coming.
    Shame on us.

This message brought to you through the work of AEP.

Just sayin…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION