Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Electricity Rates - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio Electricity Rates – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Static-X

AEP wants to raise our rates 31% by next year. Is this a joke? I’m waiting for either Allen Funt or Ashton Kutcher to come out and say smile you’re on Candid Camera or you’ve just been punk’d. Our economy is at its worst. Our unemployment rate is at 9.2% and rising. Gas prices are a joke, at $3.75 a gallon, and going up. Anything that we buy, that is trucked in, has gone up in price. And now AEP wants to STICK IT to their customers. AEP needs to be ashamed of themselves, acting like a bunch of strongarming gangster thugs.

Mercurius
    Participant

Static-X said:
    AEP wants to raise our rates 31% by next year. Is this a joke? I’m waiting for either Allen Funt or Ashton Kutcher to come out and say smile you’re on Candid Camera or you’ve just been punk’d. Our economy is at its worst. Our unemployment rate is at 9.2% and rising. Gas prices are a joke, at $3.75 a gallon, and going up. Anything that we buy, that is trucked in, has gone up in price. And now AEP wants to STICK IT to their customers. AEP needs to be ashamed of themselves, acting like a bunch of strongarming gangster thugs.

I’m taking it you didn’t read the fine print.

[url=http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5322447/aep-critics-extra-charges-no-smallchange]As proposed, residential customers of Columbus Southern Power, AEP’s central Ohio subsidiary, would pay an extra 1.5percent in 2012 and 2.7 percent in 2013, with virtually no increase in the first five months of 2014.[/url]

The rate increases are percentages of a customer’s entire electricity bill. For example, the 1.5percent increase would raise the average monthly bill by $1.29 in 2012 to $121.58.

Mercurius
    Participant

Still, by far, the cheapest (and dirtiest) electricity rates in the nation.

Static-X

Mercurius said:
    I’m taking it you didn’t read the fine print.

[url=http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5322447/aep-critics-extra-charges-no-smallchange]As proposed, residential customers of Columbus Southern Power, AEP’s central Ohio subsidiary, would pay an extra 1.5percent in 2012 and 2.7 percent in 2013, with virtually no increase in the first five months of 2014.[/url]

The rate increases are percentages of a customer’s entire electricity bill. For example, the 1.5percent increase would raise the average monthly bill by $1.29 in 2012 to $121.58.

This is the headline that was printed. (“AEP Could Raise Ohio Rates as Much as 31 Percent
    The state’s advocate for residential utility customers says a plan American Electric Power seeks to implement in Ohio could raise next summer’s rates for many customers by 31 percent.”) I’m wondering who will pay 1.5% and who will pay the 31%. Once again, the middle-class will pay the 31% while the upper and lower-class get to pay 1.5%

Mercurius
    Participant

Static-X said:
    This is the headline that was printed. “AEP Could Raise Ohio Rates as Much as 31 Percent
    The state’s advocate for residential utility customers says a plan American Electric Power seeks to implement in Ohio could raise next summer’s rates for many customers by 31 percent.” I’m wondering who will pay 1.5% and who will pay the 31%. Once again, the middle-class will pay the 31% while the upper and lower-class get to pay 1.5%

Key word being, “could” but most likely isn’t. Electricity rates are flat – not progressive; all residential consumers in Columbus Southern pay the same rate.

Static-X

Mercurius said:
    Key word being, “could” but not is. Electricity rates are flat – not progressive- all residential consumers in Columbus Southern pay the same rate.

I understand what you’re saying, but I’ll just have to wait for that ’12 summer electric bill. I’ve always been a believer of that phrase, “I’ll believe it when I see it.”

joev
    Participant

They should raise rates by 31% when they reduce pollution by 31%.

AmyArt21
    Participant

I have City of Columbus Electric but my landlord wants to switch to AEP because he thinks it’s a better deal.

Can anyone tell me what AEP charges per kilowatt hour and what the additional taxes and charges are?

City of Columbus charges about 7 cents per KWH, then each month there’s a $10 service charge and some other weird charges (taxes?) that total about $8.
    For a typical month (not when I have the a/c going), my actual usage charges in dollars are less than the taxes & fees.

I’m wondering if AEP actually does have a better deal.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

My AEP bill lists their price to compare as 7.4 cents/KWH.

Edit:

I don’t know how they figure each part, but my last bill’s breakdown was:

$35.14 – Generation Service
    $5.73 – Transmission Service
    $25.59 – Distribution Service
    $4.52 – Customer Charge
    =
    $70.98 on 553 KWH

Static-X

StowCbusCleveland said:
    My AEP bill lists their price to compare as 7.4 cents/KWH.

Edit:

I don’t know how they figure each part, but my last bill’s breakdown was:

$35.14 – Generation Service
    $5.73 – Transmission Service
    $25.59 – Distribution Service
    $4.52 – Customer Charge
    =
    $70.98 on 553 KWH

I just figured it out. $35.14 for the actual electric charge. $5.73 for bullshit. $25.59 for more bullshit and an extra $4.52 for additional bullshit. Thank you AEP for all your bullshit.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Static-X said:
    I just figured it out. $35.14 for the actual electric charge. $5.73 for bullshit. $25.59 for more bullshit and an extra $4.52 for additional bullshit. Thank you AEP for all your bullshit.

I’m not going to defend AEP, but I will note that our rates aren’t too bad compared to some places http://www.eia.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

Static-X

Analogue Kid said:
    I’m not going to defend AEP, but I will note that our rates aren’t too bad compared to some places http://www.eia.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

Ana Kid, Let me ask you this. Gas is $4.00 a gallon out in California. Does that mean Ohio gas prices, that are $3.75 for a gallon, aren’t too bad compared to California? Gas could be sold for $1.00 a gallon right now, and BIG OIL would still be making billions a quarter. The same goes with AEP. Our electric bills could be cut in half, and the Execs, CEO’s, Chair persons, President and etc. of AEP would still have a great Christmas.

anillo
    Participant

Fuck that, big oil should be paying me to fill up!

rus
    rus
    Participant

Static-X said:
    Ana Kid, Let me ask you this. Gas is $4.00 a gallon out in California. Does that mean Ohio gas prices, that are $3.75 for a gallon, aren’t too bad compared to California? Gas could be sold for $1.00 a gallon right now, and BIG OIL would still be making billions a quarter. The same goes with AEP. Our electric bills could be cut in half, and the Execs, CEO’s, Chair persons, President and etc. of AEP would still have a great Christmas.

On gas prices…

http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/2011/04/27/gasoline-taxes-vs-exxon-profit-per-gallon/

Twixlen
    Participant

Static-X said:

How is this different than the CEO’s, Chair persons, President, etc of any major corporation? Where is the thread railing against General Mills & cereal prices?

And like all those other companies, AEP employs a whole helluva lot of people beyond those at the very top. Tens of thousands over many states. Should they perhaps pay linemen less money? The folks who work in the call centers, getting rage-filled phone calls about power outages?

I can assure you, delivering reliable electricity to every. single. household. is a damn site more complicated than pressing oat-paste into little shapes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: