Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

AEP - Updates, News and Discussions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion AEP – Updates, News and Discussions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Time for AEP to step up to the plate an increase the percentage we get from renewables?

Lu
    Participant

News said:
    America’s 20 Worst Corporate Air Polluters
    ENERGY | 6/10/2013 @ 4:18PM

It’s no surprise that the biggest emitters of carbon dioxide in the United States are coal-burning power generators. The Political Economy Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst has released a new list, based on 2011 data, of the top 100 emitters of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

The top three polluters are American Electric Power, Duke Energy and Southern Company. AEP emits the equivalent of 130 million metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, accounting for about 2% of the annual total, with Duke at 127 million tons and Southern Co. at 118 million.

READ MORE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/06/10/americas-20-worst-corporate-air-polluters/

And for this we’re charged some of the highest electric rates in the nation. US average is 11.6 cents per kwh. AEP is currently 15.6 cents. Not sure how PUCO justifies those rates for dirty power.

bob.os
    Participant

Lu said:
    And for this we’re charged some of the highest electric rates in the nation. US average is 11.6 cents per kwh. AEP is currently 15.6 cents. Not sure how PUCO justifies those rates for dirty power.

Dirty, unreliable power. AEP does it wrong on all fronts.

Twixlen
    Participant

Lu said:

I have no deep love for AEP, but it happens that I had just checked my bill, and I’m currently rated out at 8.7cents/kwh… are you sure you’re with AEP, the utility, and haven’t changed to their retail arm?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

when looking up rate info I found this page which mentions AEP Energy (a different company technically? They use the same AEP logo so I’m not sure what the difference is) has an option for 100% wind generated power at pretty much the same cost as everyone else.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apples-to-apples/aep-electric-apples-to-apples-chart/

Lu
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I have no deep love for AEP, but it happens that I had just checked my bill, and I’m currently rated out at 8.7cents/kwh… are you sure you’re with AEP, the utility, and haven’t changed to their retail arm?

The 8.7 cents/kwh rate you cite is only for generation and transmission. It doesn’t include distribution, the “customer charge,” or the “retailer stability rider.” When you add in those, AEP’s total rate is 15.6 cents. The national average of 11.6 cents includes distribution and other fees.

Twixlen
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    when looking up rate info I found this page which mentions AEP Energy (a different company technically? They use the same AEP logo so I’m not sure what the difference is) has an option for 100% wind generated power at pretty much the same cost as everyone else.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apples-to-apples/aep-electric-apples-to-apples-chart/

You know you don’t actually get wind power, right? You basically pay for the right to say you have wind power that AEP Retail is required to have a certain percentage of due to law.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Lu said:
    The 8.7 cents/kwh rate you cite is only for generation and transmission. It doesn’t include distribution, the “customer charge,” or the “retailer stability rider.” When you add in those, AEP’s total rate is 15.6 cents. The national average of 11.6 cents includes distribution and other fees.

Adding up it all up:
    – Including AEP’s bullshit “retail stability rider” (i.e. the “we’re losing customers but we are still a monopoly and can lobby the PUCO for anything we want so screw you even if you “switch” fee).

– the “customer charge” which is apparently a charge for being forced to be a customer of their sub-par distribution service ( http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/04/03/aep-system-passes-and-fails-in-state-reliability-test.html )

– and the “phase-in recovery rider” which is the fee to fix the damage to their poorly maintained infrastructure from storms so it doesn’t cut into their excessive profits ( http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x1233656032/Court-rules-against-AEP-upholds-excess-profits-law ), which on my bill is admittedly only 6 cents….

The total comes out to 12.8 cents/kwh and I’m only paying 6.5cents for generation. I would be perfectly willing to pay above the national average if we were receiving above the national average of reliability. But we’re not.

I’m not even going to go into the horror story that happened across the street here during AEP’s pole replacement activity. I dont feel at liberty to give much information but they screwed up royally and badly damaged a local small business.

The PUCO needs to reign these guys in and actually do something about the reliability issues instead of just ignoring the situation (example: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/07/19/columbus-10-investigates-review-of-fallen-power-lines-that-trapped-drivers-slow-to-start.html )

geez. sorry for the rant, but the situation is appalling.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

To add to what I posted yesterday, The PUCO has also allowed a perverse disincentive for homeowners to not save electricity.

With the the way the rate structure is set up, because the ‘customer charge’ is flat and is a significant percentage of the total bill, if a homeowner saves a few killowatt-hours the price per kilowatt-hour increases regardless of who the ‘generation’ supplier is.

For a real world example, using a second party generation service billing at the rate of 6.5c/kwh a monthly bill for 832 kwh comes to a total of 12.9 cents/kwh after all fees are added. A bill for 547 kwh comes to a total of 13.2 cents/kwh.

The PUCO is truly the best utility regulator lobbyist money can buy.

Twixlen
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:

The PUCO is truly the best utility regulator lobbyist money can buy.

Factual statement.

Also, deregulation is as good an idea as feeding cows hamburger.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Twixlen said:

Also, deregulation is as good an idea as feeding cows hamburger.

factual statement.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I remember when I did this project in 6th grade we had to present like a green presentation and I choose AEP and renamed it AGP (American Green Power)… haha, boy I was way off :D

News
    Participant

AEP TO CLOSE COAL-FIRED POWER PLANT NEAR BEVERLY, OHIO
    By Dan Gearino
    Courtesy of the Associated Press

American Electric Power is planning to close a coal-fired power plant near Beverly, Ohio, that had been slated for conversion to run on natural gas. The Columbus-based utility said this morning that Muskingum River unit 5, with capacity of 585 megawatts, will stop operating in 2015

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/content/stories/apexchange/2013/07/11/aep-to-close-coal-fired-power-plant-near-beverly-ohio.html

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

New AEP building planned for Goodale Boulvard in Grandview Heights
    By: Brent Warren
    ColumbusUnderground.com

American Electric Power plans to demolish a 75-year-old building on its Goodale Boulevard property in Grandview and replace it with a 33,000 square foot building that will include office space for 58 employees. The original building, which is 21,000 square feet and sits at 1333 Goodale, is currently home to five employees who oversee a fleet of trucks and equipment, which are all stored in the six acre parking lot that surrounds the building.

READ MORE HERE.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION