Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

AEP - Updates, News and Discussions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion AEP – Updates, News and Discussions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Is AEP reliable?

Stats say it’s among Ohio’s least-dependable providers, with Columbus branches restoring outages slowly

By Dan Gearino

The Columbus Dispatch Sunday July 8, 2012 5:39 AM

Although more than a week has passed since high winds left 1 million Ohioans in the dark, American Electric Power remains smack in the eye of the storm.

Besides scrambling to restore thousands of downed electric lines in record-breaking heat, the Columbus-based energy company finds itself, once again, at the center of a long-running debate: Is the utility’s power grid as reliable as it should be?

The June 29 windstorm marked AEP’s third major power failure in eight years, following Hurricane Ike in September 2008 and the ice storm of December 2004.

Central Ohio residents are left to wonder what the utility did after the previous disasters to be ready for the next one, and whether state regulators have done enough to ensure reliable electricity.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/07/08/is-aep-reliable.html

======

What makes me furious is that AEP is one of the largest coal burning power utilities in the US. I think AEP needs to first, bury some major lines underground, invest in GREEN TECHNOLOGY and GREEN ENERGY SOURCES, and stop [excuse my language] bitching about stupid stuff and denying they are unreliable.. GROW A PAIR!

cheap

what if one of those underground lines break and that loose electricity gets in the water?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

cheap said:
    what if one of those underground lines break and that loose electricity gets in the water?

You are kidding me right?

bucki12

CalebR said:
    You are kidding me right?

Shit happens (whether it is installed overhead or in the ground)…

Woman shocked, dog killed by possible flaw in city electrical line

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/27/Woman-shocked-dog-electrocuted.html

Burying utilities does help prevent damage from wind, foreign objects and ice, of course it also can be very costly and in some cases make repairs and upgrades more difficult. The other issue is the economic effect on businesses along the streets when construction may hinder access (as happened when they were buried on High St. north of Campus).

Twixlen
    Participant

Underground lines are also not a guarantee of no outages. Study done showed that areas (after a hurricane) that had underground were a reasonable percent less likely to lose power, but if the did, a similar percentage more likely that their power would be out longer than traditional stick & line.

Caleb – when you start paying your own electric bill, lemme know how much you want added to it for the cost of system upgrades.

JeepGirl
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Is AEP reliable?
    Stats say it’s among Ohio’s least-dependable providers, with Columbus branches restoring outages slowly
    By Dan Gearino
    The Columbus Dispatch Sunday July 8, 2012 5:39 AM

Although more than a week has passed since high winds left 1 million Ohioans in the dark, American Electric Power remains smack in the eye of the storm.

Besides scrambling to restore thousands of downed electric lines in record-breaking heat, the Columbus-based energy company finds itself, once again, at the center of a long-running debate: Is the utility’s power grid as reliable as it should be?

The June 29 windstorm marked AEP’s third major power failure in eight years, following Hurricane Ike in September 2008 and the ice storm of December 2004.

Central Ohio residents are left to wonder what the utility did after the previous disasters to be ready for the next one, and whether state regulators have done enough to ensure reliable electricity.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/07/08/is-aep-reliable.html

======

What makes me furious is that AEP is one of the largest coal burning power utilities in the US. I think AEP needs to first, bury some major lines underground, invest in GREEN TECHNOLOGY and GREEN ENERGY SOURCES, and stop [excuse my language] bitching about stupid stuff and denying they are unreliable.. GROW A PAIR!

Please explain how “GREEN TECHNOLOGY/ENERGY SOURCES” would make power generation and delivery more reliable than fossil-fuels? (remember, the topic of the article is system reliability, not environmental impact or renewable energy)

Here’s a paragraph from an article that might enlighten you a little:

Finally, there’s the reliability factor: Wind turbines only work when there’s wind and solar panels need plenty of clear days to be truly effective. And although electric cars are becoming more efficient, current battery technology only allows for a short charge. This means you’ll have to stop more often to recharge or will need to limit your driving to short distances. Until these issues are resolved, it just isn’t practical to rely completely on alternative sources of energy to power both your home and your car completely

Why has green energy not yet entirely replaced fossil fuels?

News
    Participant

AEP Ohio slips in customer satisfaction survey
    By Dan Gearino
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Wednesday July 11, 2012 10:27 AM

Customers are less satisfied with American Electric Power than they were last year, according to a survey conducted before the severe storms that put much of Ohio in the dark last week. AEP Ohio scored 14th out of 16 large Midwestern electric companies in the annual survey conducted by J.D. Power and Associates. The Columbus-based utility ranked 12th out of 16 last year.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/07/11/aep-ohio-slips-in-satisfaction-survey.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In other news, a third power grid fails in India, leaving half of the nation dark, 600+ million people:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-07-31/india-power-outage/56600520/1

Jman4ever
    Participant

alexs said:
    In other news, a third power grid fails in India, leaving half of the nation dark, 600+ million people:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-07-31/india-power-outage/56600520/1

This sucks. I mean I am never going to get through to a helpdesk any time soon now.

DavidF
    Participant

Anyone else see a gigantic increase in their bill this month? We just had new windows installed and expected to actually see some improvement. Unfortunately our bill is more than double what it was last month and usage has jumped from 1700 kwh, to over 3000 kwh. I have no clue how this could be accurate.

Any thoughts?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Anyone else see a gigantic increase in their bill this month? We just had new windows installed and expected to actually see some improvement. Unfortunately our bill is more than double what it was last month and usage has jumped from 1700 kwh, to over 3000 kwh. I have no clue how this could be accurate.

Any thoughts?

Wow that’s a lot of power.

But if you’re running your AC, its had a lot of work to do this month. Still that’s more than double mine and I do run the AC in a pretty big house You might want to get your system checked if its not running well it could just be wasting power.

ricospaz
    Participant

Just got my bill today. Huge, biggest ever, by $100. I’m going to go home and check my usage.

Jman4ever
    Participant

DavidF said:

Any thoughts?

Is your new bill an estimate or an actual read?
    Might be part of the issue.

Also I guess you look at the number of days billed and when they were billed for a better comparison.

Twixlen
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    Wow that’s a lot of power.

But if you’re running your AC, its had a lot of work to do this month. Still that’s more than double mine and I do run the AC in a pretty big house You might want to get your system checked if its not running well it could just be wasting power.

This — definitely get your system checked. I’ve changed nothing – using the same exact thermostat settings, and my usage only went up 100kw between July ’11 and July ’12, which seems entirely reasonable, considering the temperature difference.

Little things, like the amount of clearance around your A/C unit (air flow), can make a big difference – but not that big.

DavidF
    Participant

Jman4ever said:
    Is your new bill an estimate or an actual read?
    Might be part of the issue.

Also I guess you look at the number of days billed and when they were billed for a better comparison.

It’s an estimate. Which makes it even more inexplicable. My next actual read is 9/5 so hopefully this will correct itself out. This is the highest usage I’ve ever had here by over 600 kwh. All the other high usage periods were in the winter of 2011. A jump of over 1300 kwh over the last period is just ridiculous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: