Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

A week in San Fran, need some input

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion A week in San Fran, need some input

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

This thread is a winner so far gang. Thanks! I will keep it alive for the others going to SFO this summer.

I will look into Airbnb in depth. First impression is that it is pretty cool. Most seem to be studio places for two, but the sheer number of places tells me we have a good chance to find something we like.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. I have eaten in Chinatown several times and plan to make a near day of that place alone. The only definate on my plans so far is a trip back to the Ferry building farmers market saturday morning. Best farmers market I have been to ever.

Snarf said:
    Can’t beat BBQ oysters to the NW in Tomales Bay.

Second this! You buy big-ass bags of oysters & clams and mussels farmed right on the bay, and there are a bunch of picnic benches & grills you can use. It’s BYOB and you can hang out all day drinking all sorts of great beer you can’t get here, grilling oysters. I was just out there and that was probably one of the best parts of the trip. Plus the scenery up there is gorgeous. We also hit up Point Reyes beach and Iron Springs Brewery in Fairfax on the way back.

jo2the2nd

I’m a recent transplant from the SF area, so I figure I can chime in a bit.

Air BNB is a good option, but if you’re going to restrict yourself to transit in the city, you should look for places that are near either BART or Muni Metro stations. If you stay with the hotel option, there are plenty of places along the Market/Mission/Union Square areas that would fit the bill – just kinda’ depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

I definitely second the biking over to Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’re tired, you can easily catch the ferry back. If you’re into baseball, you can try to catch a game at AT&T Park if the Giants are in town.

Ferry Building is a must, especially if you can catch the Farmer’s Market on Saturday. Even if you don’t make the market, there’s plenty of vendors there (Cowgirl Creamery, Acme Bread and Blue Bottle Coffee) that are worthy visits.

Columbus has a burgeoning food truck scene, but it’s pretty commonplace in San Fran, if that’s your thing, with lots of choices depending on the day.

Mission Chinese is great from all I’ve heard, but remember you’ll have to wait a good long time generally speaking and, like the name implies, it’s located in the Mission District, not Chinatown.

Speaking of the Mission District, that holds a lot of tasty gems, from Tartine to Pizzeria Delfina to Commonwealth to ice cream (Bi-Rite or Humphrey Slocombe, depending on how wild you want your flavors) to numerous places selling the “Mission Burrito” and much more.

For cuisines you can’t really get here in the Columbus metro, stop by a Peruvian (Limon, Mochica, Piqueos are a few) or Burmese (Burma Superstar is the one with the most name recognition, but I found Mandalay better and there are others around equal if not better depending on the neighborhood (Yamo, Little Yangon, etc.) restaurant. Another couple options are Aziza (Cal-Moroccan) in the Richmond or places in the Gourmet Ghetto across the bay in Berkeley.

A nice local hike might be to go to Baker Beach and go through Lands End all the way to Ocean Beach. California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park may be cool for teens to do as well.

As far as side trips, it’s hard to go wrong whichever way you go. I think it really depends if you want striking coastline and a sense of being away from it all (Monterey/Big Sur), tall Redwoods mixed with striking coastline with a thread of cheeky touristy cheesiness (Humboldt/Mendocino), or the ubiquitous charms of Yosemite. If you do go to the latter, a side-sidetrip into one of the Gold Country towns may be something fun. No matter what, I’d say it’s better to have three days minimum.

jo2the2nd

Point Reyes would also be a good shorter trip. Along with the oysters, you can go down to the lighthouse, as well as stop by Cowgirl Creamery’s main location in Point Reyes Station. Pick up some bread from nearby Bovine Bakery, add the oysters or whatever, and you’ve got yourself a nice picnic lunch.

Lieutenant Dance said:
    Second this! You buy big-ass bags of oysters & clams and mussels farmed right on the bay, and there are a bunch of picnic benches & grills you can use. It’s BYOB and you can hang out all day drinking all sorts of great beer you can’t get here, grilling oysters. I was just out there and that was probably one of the best parts of the trip. Plus the scenery up there is gorgeous. We also hit up Point Reyes beach and Iron Springs Brewery in Fairfax on the way back.

Home

Unique and delicious ice cream!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: