Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

A week in San Fran, need some input

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion A week in San Fran, need some input

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

My shorties and I are going to San Fran for a week this summer. I have been before and have a good list, but wanted some up to date info from anyone who wants to chime in. I am looking for either a downtown hotel or one on BART. Last time in town we were near the Airport, which was good as it was right on the line, but dont have a conference so can stay in town. Anyone have a recommend for a place for 2 adults and two teenagers? We will be doing public transportation for all in city movement and have used BART, the buses and trollies before. The next thing is the three days or so out of town. Will probably rent a car for a few days and do know if I want to head north up the PCH to Redwoods or south to Monterey. Have not been there in 30 years. Looking to do a 48 hour trip with hotel. Anyone have a favorite weekend northern Cal trip they want to share?

geoyui
    Participant

I’m curious as well. It’s been a couple of years since my last sf visit and I’ll be downtown for about 5 days.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

North to Eureka for the side trip I’d say. Its so pretty.. the drive is nice, and its nice and cool up there which is good during the summer

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I liked Hotel Diva when Walker and I went like 6 years ago.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Can’t beat BBQ oysters to the NW in Tomales Bay.

Mission Chinese and Burma Superstsr are two of my fav restaurants in SF.

Last year I did a motorcycle trip up 1 from SF to Mendocino…loved the b&b’s and restaurants and sights there.

InnerCore
    Participant

I usually stay in Union Square at the Hilton on O’Farrell st. But most the hotels in the area will do. It’s in a good central location and only a couple blocks from Powell st. station.

I definitely second Snarf on Mission Chinese. Look it up because it’s in a non descript building that doesn’t have a sign. The other restaurant that I would recommend is Flour + Water. I’d make reservations though because getting a table is tough.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Skip the hotel and use airbnb.com and find an apartment/home to rent out for cheaper:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Francisco–CA?room_types%5B%5D=Entire+home%2Fapt&price_max=125

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

We’ll be there this summer too.

The last time we went, pre-kids, we loved doing the whole Napa/Sonoma wine tour. I never knew anything about wines before that, but it definitely gave me an appreciation of wine and wine culture. Probably not a trip to take with the teens, however, since they’re old enough to feel excluded.

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Went last summer for a few days, riding bikes across the Golden Gate to Sausalito and spending the day there was fun and then took the ferry back. Headed down south to Monterey spent the night there and they took a couple hours to check out Pebble Beach the following day. Loop over to Yosemite for a few nights and then up to Napa/Sonoma for a couple days to close it out. Could have used a couple more In wine county.

Was really impressed with http://citybythebaytours.com/

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Jeffersin said:
    Went last summer for a few days, riding bikes across the Golden Gate to Sausalito and spending the day there was fun and then took the ferry back. Headed down south to Monterey spent the night there and they took a couple hours to check out Pebble Beach the following day. Loop over to Yosemite for a few nights and then up to Napa/Sonoma for a couple days to close it out. Could have used a couple more In wine country.

Was really impressed with http://citybythebaytours.com/

davescott

Book hotels early as events affect rates and availability. There are some quaint Victorian hotels near Union Square with easy BART access, but rooms are often small and $150 a night is the norm. As for where to go outside of the city, it’s easy to be too ambitious. You can do a leisurely 2 day drive south to San Luis Obispo and come back on the freeway. I love the far less crowded drive north to Redwood NP but you will spend a day getting there, and parts of Rt 1 are not made for making time.

drew
    Participant

You’re spoiled for choices when it comes to side trips, and almost all of the aforementioned would be worthwhile. My personal favorite, though, is the Big Sur area.

joev
    Participant

Best thing I did in San Francisco was go crabbing at Fort Point State Park – somehow, it’s right in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, and you can see Alcatraz, and yet, we only saw a few people during the time we were there. San Francisco is weird. For every block that’s beautiful and interesting, the next one is dingy and dirty and smells like pee.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I have to second Snarf’s Mendocino suggestion for your side trip. Wonderful restaurants, shops and ocean views in Mendocino. Brunch at the Little River Inn[/url] and dinner at The Ravens’[/url] would definitely be on my itinerary. The Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens[/url] is a must see while you are there. And if you are a fan of craft beer, pay a visit to North Coast Brewing[/url] in Fort Bragg. Oh and Cowlicks[/url] has great handmade ice cream!

Yeah, I used to live there. ;)

CMH Gourmand
    Participant

This could cover many of your field trip options via Bart.

Gourmand in the Gourmet Ghetto

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: